Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

1/2 and 1/2.  

First, to quote Wheeler "I  get" some of what he's saying.  Throwing punches at CSB is misdirected.  Sure, on the revenue side it's an indication of the mistrust the players are feeling from what they are being told.  No great surprise there, but the players are targeting the wrong "villian" if they're going after CSB.  Don't know why they ever went that direction.

Second, so glad Sharman and Hume we're part of that episode.  

Third, that CSA presser was a disaster.  If the talking heads in the CSA feel otherwise that's just further evidence of the rot which has long ago set in at that organization.  All that board room spin language Bontis mouthed notwithstanding.  Brutal.

And it wasn't just a disaster for the CSA but for the footballing media in this country.  No one could think to ask why the players demands would be a financial disaster for the CSA?  Not a one?  

Aren't we talking about how to allocate PRIZE MONIES?  Is it FIFA prize money that makes the CSA a viable institution?  And if so,  Good Lord, how did we manage to keep the CSA afloat these 36 years between World Cup Finals without it?

Just asking.     

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

And it wasn't just a disaster for the CSA but for the footballing media in this country.  No one could think to ask why the players demands would be a financial disaster for the CSA?  Not a one?

Fortunately for the CSA, I think they had Dave Shutton from the Springfield Shopper asking the questions, then they shut it down.

Like you, I am perplexed by the prize money allocation stuff you mentioned.

It’s been said over and over but it just makes no sense that this about what we can “afford” with prize money.

If you read the wording of the men’s statement carefully it does not appear they are in agreement with splitting the money with the women equally, or at all even. Their crafty wording has people patting them on the back.

The CSA should be able to survive with paying the players and dividing the rest of the money. It’s PRIZE money. Maybe get your store up and running and make some money off merchandise? Or, I don’t know... book more than one friendly in a window. There are avenues to make money and the CSA ignores them so it’s frankly hard to side with them. Let the success of the men grow the sport organically. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s been said over and over but it just makes no sense that this about what we can “afford” with prize money.

If you read the wording of the men’s statement carefully it does not appear they are in agreement with splitting the money with the women equally, or at all even. Their crafty wording has people patting them on the back.

The CSA should be able to survive with paying the players and dividing the rest of the money. It’s PRIZE money. Maybe get your store up and running and make some money off merchandise? Or, I don’t know... book more than one friendly in a window. There are avenues to make money and the CSA ignores them so it’s frankly hard to side with them. Let the success of the men grow the sport organically. 

Speculation: the CSA’s contract with CSB means the latter gets a chunk of the prize money, hence the player’s frustration.

Canada Soccer going down the same path as US Soccer. Players coming off as entitled brats playing the victim card, completely turning off the average sports fan. I was almost relieved the game was canceled yesterday because i had akready been turned off by the situation. Soon the players will be scratching their head and saying, how come there are no fans in the stands?

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Speculation: the CSA’s contract with CSB means the latter gets a chunk of the prize money, hence the player’s frustration.

That has to be it. But tough cookies CSA that’s the bed you made. Pretend you didn’t make the world cup and make some money off friendlies or merchandise. Or come up with a new grifting scam (Canada Red + rainbow for pride month anyone?).

Also, reading that Bontis was physically on his knees on more than one occasion begging the players take the deal. What an embarrassing joke. Just use more buzzwords Nick! 

Nick probably already enriched himself with part of the bonus to take some vacation time. Now he’s literally begging the players so he doesn’t have to cut back his own bonus. 

Also, funny story I heard recently. Bontis had a worker by his family home and offered them World Cup tickets! So, if true, players are being offered 2 tickets per game this is even more disastrous. I guess those tickets are just for Bontis to hand out to his business contacts. 

13 hours ago, Cheeta said:

1/2 and 1/2.  

First, to quote Wheeler "I  get" some of what he's saying.  Throwing punches at CSB is misdirected.  Sure, on the revenue side it's an indication of the mistrust the players are feeling from what they are being told.  No great surprise there, but the players are targeting the wrong "villian" if they're going after CSB.  Don't know why they ever went that direction.

Second, so glad Sharman and Hume we're part of that episode.  

Third, that CSA presser was a disaster.  If the talking heads in the CSA feel otherwise that's just further evidence of the rot which has long ago set in at that organization.  All that board room spin language Bontis mouthed notwithstanding.  Brutal.

Aren't we talking about how to allocate PRIZE MONIES?  Is it FIFA prize money that makes the CSA a viable institution?  And if so,  Good Lord, how did we manage to keep the CSA afloat these 36 years between World Cup Finals without it?

Just asking.     

What disappointed me about the presser the most was the combative nature Cochrane and Bontis took on.  It was "us vs. them" rather than "we are one team".  No wonder people on twitter were labelling them "union busters". 

Plus ca change and all that... 😞 

Edited by Metro

12 hours ago, ag futbol said:

This is it in a nutshell. And it is something we should ALL be furious about. Any return on investment should come from other sources. But honestly, the fact that this contract was allowed to happen at all is disgraceful.

On 6/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, Obinna said:

Let's be real, guys. Wheeler would not be getting this sort of cricticism if wasn't such a corny commentator lol

its not the commentating I've had an issue with, it used to be cringe, but hilarious.. its the the fact the guy started to buy his own BS and has turned into a pretentious ahole

Edited by LeoH037

On 6/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, The Real Marc said:

He has 30 pages because we finally have people who care about this sport and they tune in and find a guy that only a minor improvement on Gerry Dobson.

If that. At least Dobson didn't scream as much and seemed to be a bit more measured, allowing Forrest to shine as an analyst. I wish Forrest would come back actually.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

its not the commentating I've had an issue with, it used to be cringe, but hilarious.. its the the fact the guy started to buy his own BS and has turned into a pretentious ahole

I mean, yeah I get it. I can sense what you're sensing. Neither of us knows him personally, though. Plus he's one of us in the sense he wants to drive the game forward in Canada. That part I have all the time for in the world. He's a big personality and that's kind of fun to have in our soccer scene, so whether genuine or played up, I don't mind him coming off a little more pretentious than before. I apprecaite the guy, even if he's an easy target at times lol

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'll do you one better, I wish Dobson would come back.  What was wrong with old Gerry??

Listening to him would be a lot more tolerable for me than listening to Wheeler. Then again, I think guys like Kristian Jack and Oliver Platt (though I haven't heard Oliver as a colour commentator) would fit the role better. Just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I mean, yeah I get it. I can sense what you're sensing. Neither of us knows him personally, though. Plus he's one of us in the sense he wants to drive the game forward in Canada. That part I have all the time for in the world. He's a big personality and that's kind of fun to have in our soccer scene, so whether genuine or played up, I don't mind him coming off a little more pretentious than before. I apprecaite the guy, even if he's an easy target at times lol

Nah. The man has thin skin. He's rude to his cohosts, and likes to ditch out BS but gets extremely defensive when called out. No one doubts he knows his soccer stuff, that has never been a point of contention, but his character, whether fictional or his true self, is a problem. FFS who tf does this clown think he can interrupt Hume on TV? Crap like that. His over the top approach to things used to be charming/hilarious, but he's slowly transitioned into a Don Cherry like loud mouth, just no.

3 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Listening to him would be a lot more tolerable for me than listening to Wheeler. Then again, I think guys like Kristian Jack and Oliver Platt (though I haven't heard Oliver as a colour commentator) would fit the role better. Just my opinion. 

Im actually embarassed and feel terrible for guys like Jack/Platt when they have to sit on an "expert" panel with that clown.