Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Bring Back Dobson and Forest, they deserve to be there lord only knows they sure had to broadcast a lot of Bad Canadian Soccer moments. In all honesty I am okay with Wheeler and Dunfield 

Bring back Dobson, Forrest hell bring back James Sharman

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Patrice also picked up at the end, post-game. I think these guys sometimes have to warm into these roles they are less used to. 

Petrillo is always very good, IMO. She speaks well, with a rich vocab (for a sports journalist), is even keel, pleasant as hell, and knows how to engage guests and those she is working with. 

Today I was more bothered by Dunfield, since a guy doing colour should be able to really analyse a match a bit better than he does. I figure his producers let him off the hook, as they don't know enough to demand more, simple as that.

Have to say when I saw the Voyageur guys interviewed on the screen, I thought of you.  I've come and gone many times since the beginning, but as Gerry Rafferty would say "you've been constant as the Northern star"

Just now, Joe MacCarthy said:

Have to say when I saw the Voyageur guys interviewed on the screen, I thought of you.  I've come and gone many times since the beginning, but as Gerry Rafferty would say "you've been constant as the Northern star"

Joni Mitchell I think. 

Constant, where's that, if you want me I'll be at the bar. 

Seriously, I got up after sleeping 2 hours, I'm quietly hyped still. 

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Joni Mitchell I think.

Right Down the Line
Song by Gerry Rafferty

Lyrics

Only you can see
The changes that I've been through
Have left a mark on me
You've been as constant as a Northern Star

or

“I am as constant as the Northern Star” From Leonard Cohen (& Shakespeare) To Joni Mitchell’s A Case Of You
Allan Showalter     June 26, 2020

I just can't comprehend the guys trying to make the case for Wheeler.

He's a shit commentator.

He's a shit analyst.

Based on what I've read on here about his behaviour on other One Soccer programs, he's probably a shit bloke, in general, too.

His voice is worse than nails dragged across a blackboard.

He's quite obviously trying too hard to make an 'iconic' call and it's quite pathetic.

He needs to be fucked off to call mid-level amateur football on local cable access TV. That's his level. Every day of my life I find myself missing something about my home country. But on days when I have the bad fortune of having Hesgoal.com picking up the OneSoccer feed for a Canada game, I thank heavens that I live on the opposite side of the world as that clown.

What @SpecialK is to John Herdman, I'm happy to be to for Gareth Wheeler.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

He's a shit commentator.

He's a shit analyst.

Based on what I've read on here about his behaviour on other One Soccer programs, he's probably a shit bloke, in general, too.

He's quite obviously trying too hard to make an 'iconic' call and it's quite pathetic.

He needs to be fucked off to call mid-level amateur football on local cable access TV. That's his level. Every day of my life I find myself missing something about my home country. But on days when I have the bad fortune of having Hesgoal.com picking up the OneSoccer feed for a Canada game, I thank heavens that I live on the opposite side of the world as that clown.

Tell us how you really feel.

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

He's a shit commentator.

He's a shit analyst.

It's funny you mentioned the relation between SpecialK/Herdman, because up until that line I was going to comment on your post saying it's the exact attitude people had towards Herdman until recently.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, jonovision said:

In all other WCs we've just had the FIFA host feed for games aired in Canada. Will that remain the case with Canada playing? Or will CTV/TSN be organizing a Canadian broadcast?

In France Women's World Cup, for Canada matches, they had Wileman & Moscato. They were actually in France. For WWC 15, they had technical issues for the CANvNED Montreal match, so it was the world feed for the whole match ex the first few minutes.

So expect Wileman & Caldwell for Canada matches and world feed for all others. Will they be in Qatar? Or just Scianitti?

Kilbane will be a studio panelist. DeGuzman will at least rotate in and out. They should have a non-British/Canadian voice as TSN has never had one ex a cameo appearance by a American-Balkan ESPN analyst.

Edited by red card

I have zero desire to watch the Homer feed. I will go to great lengths to listen to the best play by play people in the world calling a team that has cemented itself as among the best in the world. 

Some people will want a Homer feed, make it available, but give me the absolute best on the worlds biggest stage. 

On 3/28/2022 at 12:25 PM, costarg said:

It's funny you mentioned the relation between SpecialK/Herdman, because up until that line I was going to comment on your post saying it's the exact attitude people had towards Herdman until recently.

Signs that Wheeler's calls have captured the broader zeitgeist that has eluded some on this forum (akin to Herdman's hiring), one of the main hockey forums has this title for their thread on Canadian Soccer:

Screenshot 2022-03-29 140125.jpg

15 hours ago, Califax said:

I have zero desire to watch the Homer feed. I will go to great lengths to listen to the best play by play people in the world calling a team that has cemented itself as among the best in the world. 

Some people will want a Homer feed, make it available, but give me the absolute best on the worlds biggest stage. 

I often do the same, but mostly because the homer take adds nothing to my knowlege.  I have the option to listen to a Catalan audio for Barça games, but they are too parochial, I prefer even to hear the typical Spanish broadcasts that treat FCB like a foreign club, even subtly. Or also to hear what the average fan in Spain might be hearing, not just Barça fans. 

In Spain, they tend to broadcast all the Catalan teams with negative bias, Girona in 2nd tier does well and they seem to be disappointed, no matter who the rival. So its fun to hear them having to swallow their homerism, I relish it. 

On 3/27/2022 at 9:36 PM, narduch said:

We are definitely getting Wileman and Caldwell 

No more f'n accents.  I can stand Wileman because his is fairly muted but Caldwell and the studio guy?  FFS, when can we stand on our own two feet, I'd take Wheeler over the whole crew having accents.  I'd take Bernier's French accent over the auld country colonialism.  We're not going to be getting Canadian feeds anywhere else but if people want to hear a British accent there are lots of places they can go.

I feel like the Wheeler haters are people who have always been angry, pissed, annoyed people, and now that the team is good and they can’t take their anger out on the team, they take it out on Wheeler as a scapegoat for their frustrations. 

There is no way the harmless and overall beneficial for soccer in Canada Gareth Wheeler is causing you so much anguish that you are happy to be on the other side of the world. That’s pathetic. It’s called being rent free. Sounds like you need to find some hobbies or get over yourself because either way, that’s ridiculous 

Forget any concept of accents, that’s not terribly important.

The important thing is substance and insight. As far as that goes, KJ and Kilbane are in a separate league in terms of quality. Oliver Platt not far behind on substance but not as engaging as the others. 

Most others hanging around the middle of the pack.

Caldwell, while he is not as outlandish as Wheeler, is skating by on his playing career and most of what he says is cliche, glass-half-empty pessimism or outright crap. 

Paul Dolan could be the cure for insomnia.

Wheeler lacks substance and professionalism. He’s at the very bottom. Antidotally, I can say he managed to annoy the shit out of multiple Canadians who don’t normally watch soccer, enough for them to message me to ask if there was another channel with a different commentary team.

He has to be turfed. Let’s quit steering into the ditch with this misplaced love of amateur fan-boy nonsense.

Edited by ag futbol

20 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

I feel like the Wheeler haters are people who have always been angry, pissed, annoyed people, and now that the team is good and they can’t take their anger out on the team, they take it out on Wheeler as a scapegoat for their frustrations. 

There is no way the harmless and overall beneficial for soccer in Canada Gareth Wheeler is causing you so much anguish that you are happy to be on the other side of the world. That’s pathetic. It’s called being rent free. Sounds like you need to find some hobbies or get over yourself because either way, that’s ridiculous 

You fucking nailed me, mate. I hate the fact that my team is finally winning after decades of putting me through absolute despair. Don't ever let anybody tell you that the Psych diploma you found at the bottom of your box of Cap'n Crunch don't mean shit, Gareth.

27 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read online in ages.  Congratulations.

I'm not a big Wheeler fan, but I do feel like he's scaled back his homer-ism a bit of late. Maybe it's just me, or maybe he's hearing some of the criticism? 

Again, I don't love the commentary duo that we have, but I do think that for as much as we think it could be a lot better, it could worse too.