Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I really like your insights into the difference between the British style and Souther European styles (Spain, Italy, etc.), but I don't the bolded part of your post (at the top). Why is it relavent that Canada was the top dog in Hockey?

Because we are talking about Don Cherry, aren't we? 

IMO any Canadian giving his opinion on hockey has every right because we all have it in us. And then former players and coaches, even more so. And the conversations aren't lame simply because our fellow Canadians can win medals and Stanley Cups and represent the best primary hockey resource in the world, probably. Cherry's opinion on hockey represented a strong minority, I'd say, in a dominant hockey nation.

We have nothing of the sort in football and won't for a long time, don't think.

I've been a bit surprised listening to Mexican football commentary over the qualifying campaign, they are really bad. The level is low. They still are deluded and have all sorts of inferiority complexes. There is no comparison between a Mexican and an Argentine commenting football (the Argentines can often be geniuses, however mad). Even one of the better commentators on the game associated with Mexico, Eduardo Galeano, was from Uruguay. All Mexico has ever won is the Gold Cup, the only Copa America final they played, they lost. 

One thing Canadians can legitimately aspire to is be able to laugh at and mock American and Mexican fans and pundits. To get them past us. That is within our grasp, because winning Nations League and the Gold Cup is right there for us. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because we are talking about Don Cherry, aren't we? 

IMO any Canadian giving his opinion on hockey has every right because we all have it in us. And then former players and coaches, even more so. And the conversations aren't lame simply because our fellow Canadians can win medals and Stanley Cups and represent the best primary hockey resource in the world, probably. Cherry's opinion on hockey represented a strong minority, I'd say, in a dominant hockey nation.

We have nothing of the sort in football and won't for a long time, don't think.

I've been a bit surprised listening to Mexican football commentary over the qualifying campaign, they are really bad. The level is low. They still are deluded and have all sorts of inferiority complexes. There is no comparison between a Mexican and an Argentine commenting football (the Argentines can often be geniuses, however mad). Even one of the better commentators on the game associated with Mexico, Eduardo Galeano, was from Uruguay. All Mexico has ever won is the Gold Cup, the only Copa America final they played, they lost. 

One thing Canadians can legitimately aspire to is be able to laugh at and mock American and Mexican fans and pundits. To get them past us. That is within our grasp, because winning Nations League and the Gold Cup is right there for us. 

Again, appreciate the insights on the Mexican media, but I don't think you answered my question, because I originally asked if it's fair to liken Cherry's mocking of European hockey with our mocking of Latin American soccer, to which you said "No" because we are Canadian. Did I misunderstand? Hope this doesn't come out as trying to argue for the sake of it, because I really just want to understand your point there. Thanks!

Just now, Obinna said:

Again, appreciate the insights on the Mexican media, but I don't think you answered my question, because I originally asked if it's fair to liken Cherry's mocking of European hockey with our mocking of Latin American soccer, to which you said "No" because we are Canadian. Did I misunderstand? Hope this doesn't come out as trying to argue for the sake of it, because I really just want to understand your point there. Thanks!

I guess what I am saying is that there is no credence in mockery from a nation of consumate losers in the subject.

And there is plenty of credence in the views, mocking or whatever, from a person associated with the best nation in the world at that sport. 

I'm about as old school as you can get in hockey terms. Literally grew up in rinks. My dad had no visible teeth before I was 10 years old. Managed to fight in just about every hockey game he played. But Don Cherry really lost my interest over the final few years of his show (with no help from that scrote Ron McLean who egged him on and then wouldn't bail him out when required). I love tough hockey but he couldn't just stick to that, had to get into social issues, which he was ill-advised to do. On a side note, people suggest his trips to our troops in Afghanistan should give him a pass. I have a lot of friends ex-military now and have heard that troops over there were not as enthusiastic about his schtick as you might think.

As to Gareth Wheeler, I have no problem with his play-by-play for our men's team.

Edited by Ed_S
back to the point

Gareth Wheeler was NOT very good last night. His energy was not there and in my view was way too bias and I felt he talked down about Curacao. Ya they didn’t have a good night. But you gonna stay at least kinda neutral. Also talking shit about the supporter group was just wrong. Now maybe because he was pissed because people called him out about his bullshit on Twitter, but don’t be a baby about it. Do your job your getting paid for. Be professional. 

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I guess what I am saying is that there is no credence in mockery from a nation of consumate losers in the subject.

And there is plenty of credence in the views, mocking or whatever, from a person associated with the best nation in the world at that sport. 

Ah gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that. So basically, our criticism of Latin Americans going over easy means little, because we suck (historically). Would that mean Cherry's criticism holds weight then, since Canada is a strong Hockey nation?

The gap between Canada and the European hockey nations was pretty small, even at that time, so Cherry criticizing their style of play is more like your example about the British vs. the Spanish/Italians, no?

Edited by Obinna

I don't think Wheeler was bad or different than any other gameday. I feel this guy could solve world hunger and people would somehow find criticism in it. 

9 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

I never felt this was a slap in the face at all. He was talking about supporters needing to sense when the team needs us to make some noise so that we can pick them up. What's wrong with that?

A slight dig from Gareth Wheeler which may or may not be true.. That sssssson of a bitch

Hundreds of comments on the Voyageurs site calling for Gareth Wheeler to lose his job, he's terrible, he's a stooge, he's everything else hahahaha... Maaaaa get me some meatloaf. I won't rest until Gareth Wheeler is out of work!

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

A slight dig from Gareth Wheeler which may or may not be true.. That sssssson of a bitch

Hundreds of comments on the Voyageurs site calling for Gareth Wheeler to lose his job, he's terrible, he's a stooge, he's everything else hahahaha... Maaaaa get me some meatloaf. I won't rest until Gareth Wheeler is out of work!

well, in any other industry, if you are terrible at your job then you lose it. No one questions his soccer knowledge, but the man has no business calling games, he should stick to an analyst role, preferably to his own segment so that his sycophants can all listen and agree while he blabbers all the nonsense he wants, with the rest of us spared from it. Win win for all.

10 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Gareth Wheeler was NOT very good last night. His energy was not there and in my view was way too bias and I felt he talked down about Curacao. Ya they didn’t have a good night. But you gonna stay at least kinda neutral. Also talking shit about the supporter group was just wrong. Now maybe because he was pissed because people called him out about his bullshit on Twitter, but don’t be a baby about it. Do your job your getting paid for. Be professional. 

good luck with that

25 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

well, in any other industry, if you are terrible at your job then you lose it. No one questions his soccer knowledge, but the man has no business calling games, he should stick to an analyst role, preferably to his own segment so that his sycophants can all listen and agree while he blabbers all the nonsense he wants, with the rest of us spared from it. Win win for all.

Not at the CSA, apparently :) 

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Ah gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that. So basically, our criticism of Latin Americans going over easy means little, because we suck (historically). Would that mean Cherry's criticism holds weight then, since Canada is a strong Hockey nation?

The gap between Canada and the European hockey nations was pretty small, even at that time, so Cherry criticizing their style of play is more like your example about the British vs. the Spanish/Italians, no?

I think any Canadian can say what they want about hockey and no-one is going to question our legitimacy. 

I feel similarly about British Columbians and bears, including grizzlies. If you've been around grizzlies you know, and I know you know. I've been alone in grizzly country far from civilization with a Winchester 30-30. I've been mocked by people if bears come up and I dare to opine, or I shut up, but I still know a few things (people who have been to war often shut up too).

Which is the reason Joe Rogan is one of the biggest pussy assed posers I've ever heard. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I question his soccer knowledge. I don't think i've ever learned anything from him about the game, Canada's tactics, etc from his commentary or analysis 

57 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think the Admin needs to shut the board down for a few days, let us all get a few days away and blow the stink off.  This is about the strangest I have ever seen it.  

If you think it's bad here, go to Facebook.  Something will be done...

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think any Canadian can say what they want about hockey and no-one is going to question our legitimacy. 

I feel similarly about British Columbians and bears, including grizzlies. If you've been around grizzlies you know, and I know you know. I've been alone in grizzly country far from civilization with a Winchester 30-30. I've been mocked by people if bears come up and I dare to opine, or I shut up, but I still know a few things (people who have been to war often shut up too).

Which is the reason Joe Rogan is one of the biggest pussy assed posers I've ever heard. 

I kind of disagree with this. There are plenty of Canadians who know absolutely nothing about the game. The problem is that everyone thinks they know. It’s painful being in an arena listening to a bunch of parents who think they know more than the coaches, even when in many cases the coach is highly qualified or played at a high level.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That was a crazier twist ending than any M. Night Shyamalan movie.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

The problem is that everyone thinks they know. It’s painful being in an arena listening to a bunch of parents who think they know more than the coaches, even when in many cases the coach is highly qualified or played at a high level.

July 1988, or thereabouts, I can't remember.  A bunch of drunken TV station folks are downing free sponsored liquor (on ice in the hotel room bathtub) at a media golf tournament.  The topic of conversation is about the first goalie to wear a mask (and yes I know about the woman and the Japanese Olympic goalie et al.) 

The boys are all saying Jacques Plante and I am trying to tell them it was Clint Benedict.  I end my drunken tirade with "You guys don't know fuck all about hockey"  Sitting directly beside me is former NHL All Star Danny Grant.  He just laughed.

Like the great Pere Murray said in The Hounds of Notre Dame "Sometimes they catch you out kid"