Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, kohanz said:

I'm not a big Wheeler fan, but I do feel like he's scaled back his homer-ism a bit of late. Maybe it's just me, or maybe he's hearing some of the criticism?

Maybe he is, the last two games haven't annoyed me. 

As for the Wheeler baiter, son you gotta do better, I've been on forums for decades and you don't rate.  You don't have a Cap'n Crunch degree, you're still in Grade school.  Get off the Gameboy and up your game, boy!

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Maybe he is, the last two games haven't annoyed me. 

As for the Wheeler baiter, son you gotta do better, I've been on forums for decades and you don't rate.  You don't have a Cap'n Crunch degree, you're still in Grade school.  Get off the Gameboy and up your game, boy!

I think we have tuned him out tbh. I haven't really noticed as much. My parents watched the game and hadn't heard wheeler. They phoned me buzzing after but their second comment after great game was "what is the deal with that commentator though. He was just too much, we almost had to turn it off." LOL.

22 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I didnt mind Nigel Reed back in the day

Shhhh...Don't mention generic British commentators. 

Dunfield isn't as offensive on the ears as Wheeler but doesn't do much for me either. They both need to be kept in the booth where they are in the belief they are still doing their job. Just air an alternative commentator feed for every game instead.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Shhhh...Don't mention generic British commentators. 

Dunfield isn't as offensive on the ears as Wheeler but doesn't do much for me either. They both need to be kept in the booth where they are in the belief they are still doing their job. Just air an alternative commentator feed for every game instead.

Are they still calling games from a studio in Toronto?

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I actually hate that, because it was "Holger's Heroes" for the 2000 Gold Cup team, a name which grew organically from the fanbase and works far better (as a parody of Hogan's Heroes) than the "Herdman's Heroes" rip-off does.

Herdman's Hermits was always the superior choice anyway..

Speaking of places outside Toronto (thanks for the segue)...

I still had the sound on from half time for the start of the second half just long enough for him to mispronounce Esquimalt as he noted the CAF personnel based there who were attending the match.

12 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I've liked Wheeler, but Wheels Up, Wheels down is dumb.  The play by play guy is not the focus.

I think the Wheels Up, Wheels down BS is a perfect example of our problem with Wheeler. It's evident he spends too much time thinking of what he's going to sound like on a highlight 10-15 years down the line and not just calling what's in front of him