Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I think the Wheels Up, Wheels down BS is a perfect example of our problem with Wheeler. It's evident he spends too much time thinking of what he's going to sound like on a highlight 10-15 years down the line and not just calling what's in front of him

I agree, sucks off the cuff, and his bon mots are dad humour. Give me someone who's got a bit of a silver tongue and some unusual adjectives in their back pocket. That's why I like the British style 

I may be alone in my opinion, but as much as Wheeler irks me, Dunfield is really really starting to get on my nerves.  With one notable exception (MAK's red against CR), he has been nothing short of a one-sided, sycophantic, propagandistic cheerleader.  "X is so smooth" or "Y is so clever on the ball" or "Z is so good in tight spaces".  Like, I get that you're probably friends with Hutchinson, but rather than lead "Atiba" chants in the booth, why don't you actually do some analysis like "Atiba is getting older now, he's slowed down, his range is limited and his one-touch short passes are not really suited to the CB position and I'm not sure why he's being played there".  Or "The left flank is open but you should probably exploit it with a speedy winger like Miller rather than have Sam make all those runs".  Or "Kone's weakness is when he's facing backwards and they're really exploiting that".  Like, you're an analyst - so please, analyze!!  🤬

(Although I will admit that my mood about Wheeler/Dunfield is very dependent on our results...  😉)

Edited by GasPed

6 hours ago, Cadeau said:

Dunfield irritates me more than Wheeler...One of my gripes is that they often talk like the people listening are learning the game. And that they always feel the need to describe every little thing...5-10 seconds of silence sometimes is needed 

I actually don't mind the man-splaining part of it. And I can tell you right now, that there are people watching this team, who essentially are. I have had conversations with some of them, who are bar top friends. As in anything, sometimes when something is obvious to us, we take it for granted that it is obvious to others. They are taking the opposite approach. Whether it is their choice, or managements is another question.

Edited by Wingback6

25 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

I actually don't mind the man-splaining part of it. And I can tell you right now, that there are people watching this team, who essentially are. I have had conversations with some of them, who are bar top friends. As in anything, sometimes when something is obvious to us, we take it for granted that it is obvious to others. They are taking the opposite approach. Whether it is their choice, or managements is another question.

This reminds me of how many people are starting to Mansplain the CMNT to me lately. I knew it was coming so It doesn't bother me, but I kinda liked being the only guy around (in the real world, not here of course) that knew anything about Canada Soccer.

6 hours ago, Wilfrid Laurier said:

I like to find Spanish feeds when I can. Here is the immortal Pablo Ramirez calling Osorios goal in Mexico.

As a Spanish speaker, and rather used to how goals are called, I find some of the excess okay, some unbearable. To me a really long call on a goal that is run of the mill, not justified. Depending on the result of the match, as well--don't get overly excited for a third goal in a 3-0 game. 

Then what you hear a lot in Central America, these weird echo-reverb effects, or throwing in music, it's really trashy. 

Sometimes, if all goals are called with an extended "goooooooool", it all loses value. Some goals are golazos, most are not. Some come at critical moments, others do not. 

From a Canadian perspective I think this was one of the most critical goals in our entire campaign, it was the watershed goal. Not just because of when it came, just before the half, and drawing Mexico at Azteca, but its character: slice through the middle of the Mexican defence that was properly positioned and not in transition. For me, it is our best goal and the finish is outstanding. Maybe the Phonzie vs. Panama had greater psychological impact for fans, but this is where we really made a huge statement to the entire region.

Meaning: if I were a Canadian broadcaster, this would deserve a huge, over the top call. 

I really have not minded Wheeler's goal calls as long as he is not forcing anything. When he's been really excited and he is "sincere" and not fabricating, I've liked them.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:06 PM, Lansdude said:

I agree, sucks off the cuff, and his bon mots are dad humour. Give me someone who's got a bit of a silver tongue and some unusual adjectives in their back pocket. That's why I like the British style 

I prefer the British style as well. And find Wheeler a bit of an embarrassment. But I get, maybe, why both of them are there. It’s all very contemporary. Two enthusiastic fans in the booth playing to an audience who may have not watched much football.

Of the two, I prefer Dunfield because he’s more genuine. Wheeler seems like a bit of an egoist/juvenile sportswriter playing at being a broadcaster.

I’ve never really understood the North American style. I suspect that the Brit style was a response to having been radio announcers. After radio, when the audience could actually see what you were describing, it became important to not say what the audience could already see. To let the potent image do what talking it could. For the announcer to speak for the sake of basic clarification and to that add only meaningful insight. In the North American style it seems the announcer is not as much  watching/following the game and more concerned with not allowing any silence or space. As if watching the game is somehow not the point. 

Wheeler and Dunfield are unique though, I’d say. 

On 4/1/2022 at 3:42 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

As a Spanish speaker, and rather used to how goals are called, I find some of the excess okay, some unbearable. To me a really long call on a goal that is run of the mill, not justified. Depending on the result of the match, as well--don't get overly excited for a third goal in a 3-0 game. 

Then what you hear a lot in Central America, these weird echo-reverb effects, or throwing in music, it's really trashy. 

Sometimes, if all goals are called with an extended "goooooooool", it all loses value. Some goals are golazos, most are not. Some come at critical moments, others do not. 

From a Canadian perspective I think this was one of the most critical goals in our entire campaign, it was the watershed goal. Not just because of when it came, just before the half, and drawing Mexico at Azteca, but its character: slice through the middle of the Mexican defence that was properly positioned and not in transition. For me, it is our best goal and the finish is outstanding. Maybe the Phonzie vs. Panama had greater psychological impact for fans, but this is where we really made a huge statement to the entire region.

Meaning: if I were a Canadian broadcaster, this would deserve a huge, over the top call. 

I really have not minded Wheeler's goal calls as long as he is not forcing anything. When he's been really excited and he is "sincere" and not fabricating, I've liked them.

Well put.  

On 4/1/2022 at 4:42 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know if you are Spanish yourself or some kind of hispanophile but you come across as incredibly insensitive and elitist. It may not be my personal preference either but to call it trashy is disrespectful. The most successful footballing nation on this planet uses similar effects in broadcasts to celebrate goals.

23 hours ago, ECW said:

I’ve never really understood the North American style. I suspect that the Brit style was a response to having been radio announcers. After radio, when the audience could actually see what you were describing, it became important to not say what the audience could already see. To let the potent image do what talking it could. For the announcer to speak for the sake of basic clarification and to that add only meaningful insight. In the North American style it seems the announcer is not as much  watching/following the game and more concerned with not allowing any silence or space. As if watching the game is somehow not the point. 

Well put, and I would also add that the "less is more" style was helped by having only one person in the booth.  Colour commentators seem to feel like they are getting paid by the word, regardless of accent and repeating the same adjective.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Well put, and I would also add that the "less is more" style was helped by having only one person in the booth.  Colour commenators seem to feel like they are getting paid by the word, regardless of accent and repeating the same adjective.

Yes, that seems right. And if you’ve got an authoritative and insightful voice/mind in the booth that’s all you need. The “colour” should come from the image on the screen with the single voice as guide when needed. From the reception of the viewer, in other words. 

11 hours ago, CCrTFC said:

I don't know if you are Spanish yourself or some kind of hispanophile but you come across as incredibly insensitive and elitist. It may not be my personal preference either but to call it trashy is disrespectful. The most successful footballing nation on this planet uses similar effects in broadcasts to celebrate goals.

It's just an opinion, why should that make you nervous? I find it trashy, kitschy, cutre, or whatever you want to call it and so does most of the football world: which is why these techniques are disappearing: fans don't want them.

That, by the way, is what this thread is about: calls that are over the top, exagerrated or lamely forced; this entire thread is basically about Wheeler doing just that.

These reverbs and weird musical clips happen to have their origins in equally rubbish radio broadcasting, from way back in the 1950s to 70s where goals where sponsored, corner kicks were sponsored, when they gave the line-ups, subs--so these effects are directly related to jamming in little mini advertising jingles in the middle of games constantly. It is the worst sort of way of presenting the sport, taking every single incident of sporting interest and reducing it to an excuse to make a bit of money for the radio station. 

I'm in Spain: I accepted these sort of calls on Spanish radio 30 years ago, but I was just learning Spanish football culture. Now, they are increasingly residual, they are sustained by radio stations with ageing listeners. Most realise they basically are derisive towards fans across all classes and background.

I can accept we can find these sort of things nostalgic and cute if we get some retrospect, like the way we get a kick from old ads and signs for Canadiana. I'm fine with having an affectionate laugh, like we've done here with the whole "Phillip's Bakery" business out of St Vincent. 

Basically: if I am being elitist criticising that crap, you have a few dozen pages of elitist critique of Wheeler to complain about, go to it.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

19 hours ago, ECW said:

Yes, that seems right. And if you’ve got an authoritative and insightful voice/mind in the booth that’s all you need. The “colour” should come from the image on the screen with the single voice as guide when needed. From the reception of the viewer, in other words. 

Fox or ESPN at one time tried to have two colour commentators in the both for MLS matches. Fortunately that didn't catch on.

• 1 month later...

The most frustrating part is every answer he gives sounds so condescending and like a "oh it's too complex, you wouldn't understand." No offence, Gareth, but if you can understand it I'm sure we all can.

Either you do not have the answers at all and like to act like you do or you're condescending.

Edited by Approve My Account Pls