Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Did Wheeler get hired to be the TFC radio guy?

Where did you see that? If this is true will he be an option to listen to through the MLS AppleTV stream? i think I saw there would be an option to listen to the local radio coverage instead of the league sound.

3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Where did you see that? If this is true will he be an option to listen to through the MLS AppleTV stream? i think I saw there would be an option to listen to the local radio coverage instead of the league sound.

I'm just speculating.

The last couple of years TSN used to simulcast their TV broadcast to TSN 1050 Toronto. But I don't think that is possible anymore.

• 1 month later...

I am not a Wheeler hater, although at times I do find him over OTT but overall I don't mind him however last night's broadcast with Hume, who I quite like turned into a pub discussion, some of it was interesting as Hume gives a knowledgeable perspective but it was a little much for me! Yes there wasn't much going on in a dull 2nd half but it doesn't mean it is 45 minutes of story time, plays were developing and we were getting chances and only when it looked like we might score would Wheeler break off the story to talk about the chance, it was only 2 nil for us not a complete thrashing of an opponent where many aren't really paying that much attention anymore! I like a story here and there but I also like a bit of silence even if the field audio from the host broadcaster wasn't the best, hopefully the producers have some input on this, am I being too harsh?

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

I think the problem really was that they weren't in Curacao, and were calling the game off the same feed as us. So, they didn't have any extra insight compared to the viewers at home.  At least when they're in the stadium they can see things that we can't and can comment on them. 

Yes, the feed as they mentioned wasn't unlike Starlight Stadium with the low camera angles, I still think there should have been more play calling and more silence at times, Hume in one of his stories mentioned the US game in The Hammer and that he was "inebriated", he was not alone!😀

I think Wheeler has done a service over the years with the CPL calls but I agree that when he's paired with a former player, Humey especially, it can get pretty casual. I know we like to give him stick but I truly think he does a good job flying solo. I don't always agree with him but I definitely appreciate what he's doing.

51 minutes ago, RJB said:

I think the problem really was that they weren't in Curacao, and were calling the game off the same feed as us. So, they didn't have any extra insight compared to the viewers at home.  At least when they're in the stadium they can see things that we can't and can comment on them. 

Bingo!  You heard them struggle when they couldn't see what happened with Kennedy going down.

11 hours ago, Fort York Redcoat1555362293 said:

I think Wheeler has done a service over the years with the CPL calls but I agree that when he's paired with a former player, Humey especially, it can get pretty casual. I know we like to give him stick but I truly think he does a good job flying solo. I don't always agree with him but I definitely appreciate what he's doing.

I am an old school fan of one person with the pbp, no colour analyst alongside, calling the game.  Cut out to comments from the studio panel during logical lulls in play.

When you have two (or more, as the Americans tried) in the both "booth" (wherever it is located), all the individuals give the impression that they're being paid by the word.  

I rarely watch games with the commentary on because of this.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, gator said:

I am not a Wheeler hater, although at times I do find him over OTT but overall I don't mind him however last night's broadcast with Hume, who I quite like turned into a pub discussion, some of it was interesting as Hume gives a knowledgeable perspective but it was a little much for me! Yes there wasn't much going on in a dull 2nd half but it doesn't mean it is 45 minutes of story time, plays were developing and we were getting chances and only when it looked like we might score would Wheeler break off the story to talk about the chance, it was only 2 nil for us not a complete thrashing of an opponent where many aren't really paying that much attention anymore! I like a story here and there but I also like a bit of silence even if the field audio from the host broadcaster wasn't the best, hopefully the producers have some input on this, am I being too harsh?

You nailed it. It wasn't awful, some anecdotes were kinda fun to hear in some context, but perhaps not during an important Nations League game.  My girlfriend who was watching with me and is by no means a big sports fan outside of figure skating mentioned the strange commentary.

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

Bingo!  You heard them struggle when they couldn't see what happened with Kennedy going down.

Ultimately, I think the network isn't setting them up to do the best they can. We can argue about the quality that he offers, but I think it's a fact that he will do a poorer job off a screen instead of in building. 

How much would it have cost to send them down there?  If they are really "investing" in the product, then this would be a good place to invest. 

9 hours ago, gator said:

Their second half discussion would have made for a good podcast. 

Unfortunately, not talking about what's going in the actual match is widespread across North American football broadcasts - carried over from other sports where there is time to fill.

Jenkins also does it for Canada women matches to the point he hasn't given goals the due that they deserved. At least Wheeler knows to cut off himself or the analyst when there is a goal scoring chance. And it wasn't also inane chatter and inside jokes that usually makes up the off-the-pitch talk. 

When you start veering away from what's going on the pitch, you're basically telling the viewers the match isn't worth watching. Though, diluting the meaningfulness of the regular season by leagues doesn't help with the intensity on the pitch, in the stands and in the booth.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the champions league post game show (whitecaps v lafc), and I'm a bit mortified to see Gareth Wheeler with running shoes on. He's got a golf shirt with the top button done all the way up with a blazer, and seriously has runners on.  Together with his Harry Caray glasses he looks really goofy.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:43 PM, DeRo_Is_King said:

As long as Wheeler isn't screaming or saying, "Oh, Canada. Oh, baby!" I consider it an improvement.

Not hearing that would be a 100% improvement.  The time it really gagged me was when the CMNT were at THF and he said something like "Tim Horton's Field, home of Osk kee wee wee and O Canada O baby"  What kind of ego or stupidity does it take to compare your own made up catch phrase to a tradition that goes back nearly a century.  To me that takes a lot of chutzpah.

I will give him credit for being able to call a game off a screen.  Harder than people think.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Watching the champions league post game show (whitecaps v lafc), and I'm a bit mortified to see Gareth Wheeler with running shoes on. He's got a golf shirt with the top button done all the way up with a blazer, and seriously has runners on.  Together with his Harry Caray glasses he looks really goofy.

They have stylists believe it or not.

12 hours ago, RJB said:

Never understood the top button done-up with no tie. Weird British thing.

12 hours ago, RJB said:

Everybody wears sneakers with a suit now.  I s'pose we can differentiate between a sneaker and a boat/deck shoe but I notice Charles Payne usually wears actual sneakers with really nice suits.  I find it out of the ordinary if I see somebody wearing actual dress shoes.  YMMV.

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Everybody wears sneakers with a suit now.  I s'pose we can differentiate between a sneaker and a boat/deck shoe but I notice Charles Payne usually wears actual sneakers with really nice suits.  I find it out of the ordinary if I see somebody wearing actual dress shoes.  YMMV.

I see it, see others it looks good on, but for the life of me can't make it work for myself. 

I think you have to wear straight leg slim and not be a squatty slightly overweight man. Speaking from experience.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:34 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I see it, see others it looks good on, but for the life of me can't make it work for myself. 

I think you have to wear straight leg slim and not be a squatty slightly overweight man. Speaking from experience.

As a guy who used to know about these things (subscribed to GQ and MGF) I would have loved to have had that luxury back in the day (wearing sneakers with a suit)  But now that it is acceptable I couldn't do it and actually now like a good dress shoe. (must have laces)

I liked Letterman's approach with the wrestling boots but that was iconic to him and only him (aside from Elaine Benes on Seinfeld)

I see your point on bodyshape and yes there are some things the portly amongst us shouldn't do, but my example, business reporter Charles Payne seems to carry it off.  He is 6'2" but I would describe him as overweight.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy