Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

Wheeler > Luke and Steven (Let’s not talk about Terry)

Haters gonna hate…

I think the kind of flair and character that Wheeler brings to the broadcast and his journalism Is exactly what this team and fan base needs. Since day one ppl just love to find excuses to hate on Wheeler, and sure he was out of order with the Alex thing but that’s one incident and people are calling for him to be dumped?! Give me a break. The Canadian soccer scene is better with him. What would we be without Oh Canada, Oh Baby… NOTHING!! 

14 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Yeesh.  Tough crowd.

Loves to ham it up a bit.  And Larson got pilloried for this as well, isn't shy about trying to stir a discussion, justifiably or no.  On both accounts my response is so what?  Hasn't anybody here been watched some of the sports casting going on out there for the last how many years?  In any sport?  Come on.

Sorry, but Wheeler is a class act compared to Larson.  Wheeler's biggest fault is pure unbridled passion for Canadian soccer.  He's not looking for clicks, drama or viewers.

Larson follows the Fox playbook.  His only passion is advancing his career, money and fame.  There is no limit to how low he'll go.    

4 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Haters gonna hate…

I think the kind of flair and character that Wheeler brings to the broadcast and his journalism Is exactly what this team and fan base needs. Since day one ppl just love to find excuses to hate on Wheeler, and sure he was out of order with the Alex thing but that’s one incident and people are calling for him to be dumped?! Give me a break. The Canadian soccer scene is better with him. What would we be without Oh Canada, Oh Baby… NOTHING!! 

Is that you Wheels?

4 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Haters gonna hate…

It's been a long standing  Voyageur tradition for the folks here to create a "fall guy"; a player who seems to be criticized no matter what they do.  Opposite to that is the guy who avoids criticism no matter what he does, maybe because once he made a play so spectacular that it remains in everybody's hearts and minds and the player gets a future free pass.

But Mr Wheeler doesn't fall into those categories, i think most people here enjoy his enthusiasm, his Canadian soccer knowledge.  I think when he compared his own catchphrase to Osk Kee Wee Wee was kind of a tipping point for me in a plethora of self made bone headed utterings.

What would we be without Oh Canada Oh Baby, we'd be one lame manufactured catchphrase less, that is what we would be.  I don't know how young or old the OP is but I've seen better, far better broadcasters and broadcasts and unlike some folks today haven't forgotten or worse deny it ever existed.

47 minutes ago, Floortom said:

We should probably rename this thread "The importance of Gareth Wheeler"

Or rename it, "Has the fame gone to his head".   I've listened to hours and hours of COYR podcasts over the years and he never acted like that, its almost like he was doing an impression of Larsson.  Not annoying in his slightly corny super excited, super fan kind of way, but dickish and petty.  For no reason really cause that Alex seems like a good addition.  

5 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Haters gonna hate…

I hope you're kidding. Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're kidding.

7 hours ago, GasPed said:

I gotta be honest - I can (and do) actually listen to Nickelback by choice on occasion.  I would never do that with Wheeler.

I remember trying to explain to family members who aren't Canadians why Canadians hate Nickelback. After I gave a long explanation and they just looked at me confused I realized that we Canadians can be real arrogant douche bags sometimes 

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Not annoying in his slightly corny super excited, super fan kind of way, but dickish and petty.

He did it again with Platt and Platt looked like he was tired of it and not gonna take it and fired back.  Maybe I'm wrong and they're laughing and saying we're being sucked in by the shtick, I dunno. 

Anyway, if he feels it is necessary (the shenanigans) to sell the game in this country, I would ask him to look at who he's trying to sell it to.  If that is what is needed "to sell the game" to some people, I don't think they are going to be around very long.

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I remember trying to explain to family members who aren't Canadians why Canadians hate Nickelback. After I gave a long explanation and they just looked at me confused I realized that we Canadians can be real arrogant douche bags sometimes 

Canadians hate Canadians who become successful: Nickelback, Bieber, Drake, Celine Dion and Wheeler 😋

15 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It's been a long standing  Voyageur tradition for the folks here to create a "fall guy"; a player who seems to be criticized no matter what they do.  Opposite to that is the guy who avoids criticism no matter what he does, maybe because once he made a play so spectacular that it remains in everybody's hearts and minds and the player gets a future free pass.

But Mr Wheeler doesn't fall into those categories, i think most people here enjoy his enthusiasm, his Canadian soccer knowledge.  I think when he compared his own catchphrase to Osk Kee Wee Wee was kind of a tipping point for me in a plethora of self made bone headed utterings.

What would we be without Oh Canada Oh Baby, we'd be one lame manufactured catchphrase less, that is what we would be.  I don't know how young or old the OP is but I've seen better, far better broadcasters and broadcasts and unlike some folks today haven't forgotten or worse deny it ever existed.

No doubt that there are a bunch of Canadian broadcasters (soccer broadcasters for that matter) that are better than Wheeler. Obviously my post was satirical, but I do stand by the fact that people are too hard on Wheeler. Whatever you may think about him and the fame, or His corny wannabe Peter Drury catchphrases, he is still good for the Canada soccer scene. Take one look at the work he’s done at OS alone and it’s pretty hard to say we’re better without him

It is easy to pick faults with Wheeler if you choose to do so, I don't mind him and I think he has improved on his call of Canada games which this thread is all about, some of the midweek shows I can find a little annoying but they are grasping for content at times and think they have to be outrageous or controversial! I watched the 2 MLS vs Lg Mex matches this week and the American broadcaster whoever he was really was annoying to me, he sounded like a hockey guy trying to do soccer, I don't rate many of the American hockey broadcasters either, there's only one Mike Emrick!

Yeah getting harder to defend Wheeler every day.

Like, I know the point he's making, but it comes off as not understanding the culture of the Voyageurs / hardcore supporters, or like he's talking from his ivory tower. My guess is that he's speaking to the less knowledgeable fans who possible bombard him with these questions on Twitter. 

That makes sense of his comments on Ugbo. Yeah, nobody on Twitter guessed that's who it was, but he was brought up here many, many, times and we know of this player for a while. He's acting like it took everybody by surprise, but clearly it didn't. 

I don’t understand what anyone has ever seen in this guy to begin with. Is it being an “original” voice of Canadian soccer prior to the rise in popularity? The fan-boy antics? 

The substance of what he says is meddling and the tone of his voice is like nails on a chalk board. 

Just find somebody better already