Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

He was annoying but tolerable before. For what ever reason, his sense of arrogance has grown to the point that it's unbearable.

This little segment talking about the fans asking questions about Tom Holmes is ridiculous. I understand the sentiment behind the answer, but it seems very hypocritical. He could have easily given the same answer and not come across like an ass. Like come on man, just a few months ago he was lauding his knowledge of Ugbo over all of us who, at the time, was a sub on a mid pack Belgian League player. Holmes is a starter in the Championship, which the level is comparable to the Belgian league. Also, it's a question from a fan. A fan who, quite frankly, is one of a small number of paying fans for OneSoccer, a platform that still cannot afford to be antagonizing its viewers. This comes across as arrogant, holier-than-thou, and it's not the mentality you need for Canadian Soccer media when you're trying to grow the fanbase. You can see it all over Platt's face over the past few shows whenever Wheeler pulls shit like this. Him going after Alex Gangue-Ruzic the other day was just as bad, if not worse, than this. 

4 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

He was annoying but tolerable before. For what ever reason, his sense of arrogance has grown to the point that it's unbearable.

This little segment talking about the fans asking questions about Tom Holmes is ridiculous. I understand the sentiment behind the answer, but it seems very hypocritical. He could have easily given the same answer and not come across like an ass. Like come on man, just a few months ago he was lauding his knowledge of Ugbo over all of us who, at the time, was a sub on a mid pack Belgian League player. Holmes is a starter in the Championship, which the level is comparable to the Belgian league. Also, it's a question from a fan. A fan who, quite frankly, is one of a small number of paying fans for OneSoccer, a platform that still cannot afford to be antagonizing its viewers. This comes across as arrogant, holier-than-thou, and it's not the mentality you need for Canadian Soccer media when you're trying to grow the fanbase. You can see it all over Platt's face over the past few shows whenever Wheeler pulls shit like this. Him going after Alex Gangue-Ruzic the other day was just as bad, if not worse, than this. 

Platt and KJ will once in a while put Gareth in his place with a quintessentially understated British style because they're, you know, professionals.

I don't actually agree with people who say that you take the good with the bad with Gareth because you need it for that passion. Platt and especially KJ are able to exude that passion in a professional and informative way, specifically thinking back to their post game segments during WCQ.

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Platt and KJ will once in a while put Gareth in his place with a quintessentially understated British style because they're, you know, professionals.

I don't actually agree with people who say that you take the good with the bad with Gareth because you need it for that passion. Platt and especially KJ are able to exude that passion in a professional and informative way, specifically thinking back to their post game segments during WCQ.

I would argue it depends on who the individual is.

I brought up Craig Burley in the Holmes thread. He can be a real dick to the others on the ESPN FC panel, and it makes for some good entertainment. He also has a go at fans for asking "stupid" questions, or sometimes goes after the entire USMNT fanbase in general. I think the difference between him and Gareth may be that Burley, being a long time pundit and former professional player, has a lot more street credibility than Wheeler does. The other thing is that Wheeler already put himself behind the 8 ball with his unorthodox commentating (and fashion-sense), so he's already an easy target. To have a go at fans from the position of weakness makes it different than Burley at ESPN FC, I think. 

21 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

The same Gareth Wheeler that said that Dominik Yankov would play for Canada one month before he was cap-tied by Bulgaria. 

Source: https://news.onesoccer.ca/article/wheeler-an-update-on-canadian-dual-national-commitments-to-canmnt 

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Actually I will.  I thought what Young and Mitchell did in protest to Joe Rogan was ill advised, but they were free to be stupid.

I agree with you but you don't hate them simply for being successful Canucks. They said stupid things. That's another matter.

Fifa changes these damn rules all the time, so how can you blame a casual fan for asking a question?  You'll see disagreements on here between the die hards that know more than most.  And if Wheeler is patting himself on the back for Ugbo, someone has to remind him he was out to lunch on a bunch of others when he was trying to scoop everyone with a new commitment from a dual.  Wheeler isnt a Burley.  Craig can have a go at the fans (cause he was a player, plus he is funny) and has a different perspective and knowledge of the game.  Wheels is a fan, like you and me, when he slags Van or other fans is comes across as dickish.  Which he never was for years with COYR podcast.  

Still enjoy the animated calls of games, like the excitement with fanboy energy....but check the attitude at the door.  Its not a good look for him, even if some loudmouth pundits can pull it off.  

2 hours ago, gator said:

It is easy to pick faults with Wheeler if you choose to do so, I don't mind him and I think he has improved on his call of Canada games which this thread is all about, some of the midweek shows I can find a little annoying but they are grasping for content at times and think they have to be outrageous or controversial! I watched the 2 MLS vs Lg Mex matches this week and the American broadcaster whoever he was really was annoying to me, he sounded like a hockey guy trying to do soccer, I don't rate many of the American hockey broadcasters either, there's only one Mike Emrick!

I'm fine with Wheeler doing our games. One of the American Concacaf announcers in the first round of the CCL were going on about Cruz Azul going to Central America to play Forge, so I don't really rate them.  Wheeler at least knows his geography.

He also did just have a baby from what I remember, so maybe Wheels is dealing with that.  It can be draining dealing with a newborn while doing a job, especially one that involves being a public face. 

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Fifa changes these damn rules all the time, so how can you blame a casual fan for asking a question?  You'll see disagreements on here between the die hards that know more than most.  And if Wheeler is patting himself on the back for Ugbo, someone has to remind him he was out to lunch on a bunch of others when he was trying to scoop everyone with a new commitment from a dual.  Wheeler isnt a Burley.  Craig can have a go at the fans (cause he was a player, plus he is funny) and has a different perspective and knowledge of the game.  Wheels is a fan, like you and me, when he slags Van or other fans is comes across as dickish.  Which he never was for years with COYR podcast.  

Still enjoy the animated calls of games, like the excitement with fanboy energy....but check the attitude at the door.  Its not a good look for him, even if some loudmouth pundits can pull it off.  

Well said, especially the part about Burley being funny. Wheeler doesn't come off as funny at all, just annoyed and pissed off. 

Having a newborn can do that to the best of us though lol

1 hour ago, Trois Reds said:

He also did just have a baby from what I remember, so maybe Wheels is dealing with that.  It can be draining dealing with a newborn while doing a job, especially one that involves being a public face. 

I was going to post that, but he was doing stupid poop long before the bambino.  But sleep deprivation could be the excuse for the seeming out of character irritability lately.

I would love to hear him call a game without any preparation aside from memorizing the player's numbers, bet it would be 10 times better without his preconstructed drivel.

50 minutes ago, VinceA said:

One soccer posted the Tom Holmes clip and they're getting raked over the coals for it in the comments. Well deserved for Wheeler's continued obnoxiousness.

Came here to make a similar post about that tweet getting ratio'd. Problem is I think Kurt Larson is still Head of Content and it wouldn't shock me if he thought that any dumb take that drives publicity is a good thing.

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I was going to post that, but he was doing stupid poop long before the bambino.  But sleep deprivation could be the excuse for the seeming out of character irritability lately.

I would love to hear him call a game without any preparation aside from memorizing the player's numbers, bet it would be 10 times better without his preconstructed drivel.

I've been thinking the same thing these days. To be a new father at his age is tough, I was 40 and ended up with odd health problems when my kid was 8 months old. Stress, lack of sleep--but they are also monitoring reactions and may think the buzz and debate is good. They may even be encouraging his angle, it's part of content values in any sort of debate these days. 

The real problem is that the head of content is an avowed Islamophobe with general xenophobic ticks, who they decided to hide as soon as this came out. 

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Listening to TSN's TFC broadcast, and wow, so much nicer and much less obnoxious. Also Caldwell doesn't have an insanely grating nasally voice and doesn't cream his pants whenever TFC gets close to goal like Dunfield.

I just wish Caldwell would learn to use adjectives other than brilliant and magnificent.