Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, RJB said:

I'm sensing some sarcasm here.  I think it matters though, because this line of discussion is insinuating some racism because he and others confuse some of the players who are black.  Is that simply what we notice, or is he confusing lots of players?  Because I think there is a difference to only confusing the players who are black, or confusing others too, especially when the thread is beating around the bush about racism. 

It's possible he thought it was David because.....well that's where the number 9 should have been not the Defensive mid!

15 hours ago, kacbru said:

Having watched the extended highlights, Wheeler's play by play is way better than @El Hombre.

That hurts.  I went out of my way to keep you up to date.  I put my heart and soul into that for you.

I guess the only way to get better is practice, so I'll be sure to provide even better commentary for you in the March window.  Don't worry I'll tag you in each one so that you don't miss a thing.

21 hours ago, RJB said:

I don't think that this response is called for.  I thought we were having a good faith conversation.  I understand if you don't feel like responding and I don't take it personally, but this is quite condescending.  

Maybe I shouldn't have responded like that. I apologize. 

On 2/5/2022 at 4:09 PM, RS said:

Only for home matches.

That explains a lot (I also think it's cheap of One Soccer). Also the way the El Salvadorian production was, losing the general view constantly for partial views. If you're there, you watch a player progress up the wing and clearly see who's there to receive a cross. From the moment Larin is challenged on the wing we see nothing else. 

Spanish commentators constantly mix up black players, they're in the stadium, there are only 3 totally different guys to choose from and they still screw up. 

40 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That explains a lot (I also think it's cheap of One Soccer). Also the way the El Salvadorian production was, losing the general view constantly for partial views. If you're there, you watch a player progress up the wing and clearly see who's there to receive a cross. From the moment Larin is challenged on the wing we see nothing else. 

Spanish commentators constantly mix up black players, they're in the stadium, there are only 3 totally different guys to choose from and they still screw up. 

I'm pretty sure Media Pro was hired by Concacaf to produce the base feed for the Octagonal matches. 

There was even a Media Pro ad board in El Salvador 

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm pretty sure Media Pro was hired by Concacaf to produce the base feed for the Octagonal matches. 

There was even a Media Pro ad board in El Salvador 

Well then, I didn't like the production. Mind you, you designate a producer from various available and each is different, the way refs are designated. It takes talent to do constant camera changes, and more so when you have the full set of VAR angles, but it doesn't make for a better broadcast. 

Usually the producer of the broadcast doesn't do the post-game highlights, but really a proper game broadcast has to be a bit restrained, leave the creative angles for later. 

On 2/5/2022 at 12:52 PM, TGAA_Star said:

I mean do you see British well English commentators who are biased towards England whenever they play? They are unbiased 

The English commentators I hear are the ones doing the international feed. Not what is being shown on Sky Sports or BBC. Wheeler is commentating for Canada, not an international feed. It is not at all uncommon to hear commentators going crazy when their national team scores, and not giving the same jumping up and down screaming call when their opponent scores.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, stringing 2 words together that have been strung together before for a negative thing, shouldn't be grounds for dismissal for someone that is talking for 90ish minutes live without a script. It's not like he was graphically and unambiguously referring to the Polytechnique massacre. When I heard it for a second I thought "Is that what they call that misogynist mass murder that happened in Montreal?" And then I got on with my life the next second. Hell, MLS has a team called "Chicago Fire" and there is a famous Chicago Fire that the team is possibly named after that killed 300 people in 1910.