Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its a little strange in Canada that we're so insecure that we think there is a dramatic switch in our chances of winning from one stadium to the next. We should just play the game and win. If there is a field with 2 goals and 11 aside, let's play. Its not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be. I just think right now in this current strange environment, the decision should be on who ever provides the least restrictions 

Voyageurs are the hardcore fans.  If we don’t discuss useless issues like this, we have to find other useless issues to discuss. 😛😛 

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

As of June 28th, the whole province of Quebec, and therefore Saputo Stadium would theoretically be able to host 3500 people.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1803569/covid-quebec-palier-vert-vendredi-25-juin

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/level-1-vigilance-green
https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/reopening-plan/festival-event

Given that the players, staff, media and all the other people who aren't fans that are needed on site, I can imagine a situation where, if the current regulations and trends continue, Montreal could host ~3100 fans.

---

BC won't be in their "Step 4" until Sept 7th at the earliest:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart#step-four

---

Ontario could be in "Step 3" by late July. It's not clear what the limits would be:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/reopening-ontario

---

Alberta's "Stage 3" will start on July 1st. It's not clear what capacity limits will be yet for stadiums.

The border is really the big thing that has to open up, once people from abroad can come in, I think everything else will fall into place from both a provincial and municipal health standpoint. A lot will become clearer in the day leading up to July 21, when the feds will have to decide to keep the border open or closed for another month. 

In regards to the game at the US, MLS for the most part is in action that weekend (Sept3-4). There are home games at Philadelphia, Houston, LAFC, Orlando, Cincinnati, SLC, Nashville and San Jose. There is also a NWSL game at Red Bull Arena that weekend. In my eyes the USSF going with Austin makes sense in so many ways as it's the middle game between two in Central America. Austin also had the new shiny stadium. Ft. Lauderdale could work too. Really think its down to these two unless they go the NFL stadium route as its an off-weekend before the season kicks off. 

Wirth this in mind I think Toronto or Montreal makes sense for the first two games. Herdman and company can hold camp at the BMO Training Ground. Also makes it easy to get guys back to Europe on the red eye right after the third game if needed. 

^^ Sorry if anyone has suggested this already but for the first weekend of matches, should we not be considering where we will be playing the Americans before deciding on the location of the home fixtures?  If the Americans wish to have the match on the West Coast, it makes sense to have the two home matches in Vancouver/Edmonton.

7 minutes ago, Metro said:

^^ Sorry if anyone has suggested this already but for the first weekend of matches, should we not be considering where we will be playing the Americans before deciding on the location of the home fixtures?  If the Americans wish to have the match on the West Coast, it makes sense to have the two home matches in Vancouver/Edmonton.

I thought about this. But unless the US chooses a California city it probably still logistically makes sense to try to play both games in Toronto.

10 minutes ago, Metro said:

With the 3rd game on a Wednesday night, the logistics of getting guys back to their clubs especially in Europe will come into play. The game at the US will be Texas or Florida. Austin checks so many boxes. I assume the CMNT flies charter?

Half the posts here have a hidden message: the CSA does not have the balls or wherewithall to designate visiting supporter areas (for security reasons, for whatever reasons) and limit those tix.

I have seen this all my time in Europe, you go to buy tix and it may even say: visiting supporter, you go here. Do not buy elsehwhere. If they sell out, then you can get them on a waiting list. Solid Canada sections in 80-90% or more of a stadium. Visitors, over there. 

Give US fans 1 section at BC Place. Jamaica gets a section wherever they play. If the lower tier fills up at BC place, let them have another up top. NO mixing of fan bases, except of course in the high end sections where the visitor may have 50-100 courtesy tickets.

The CSA are such chumps, pisses me off.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Half the posts here have a hidden message: the CSA does not have the balls or wherewithall to designate visiting supporter areas (for security reasons, for whatever reasons) and limit those tix.

I have seen this all my time in Europe, you go to buy tix and it may even say: visiting supporter, you go here. Do not buy elsehwhere. If they sell out, then you can get them on a waiting list. Solid Canada sections in 80-90% or more of a stadium. Visitors, over there. 

Give US fans 1 section at BC Place. Jamaica gets a section wherever they play. If the lower tier fills up at BC place, let them have another up top. NO mixing of fan bases, except of course in the high end sections where the visitor may have 50-100 courtesy tickets.

Tampa Bay Lightning had enforced a rule where you couldn't wear opposing jerseys in their premium seats and the north american sports fan cried "but muh freedoms" so Tampa backed off. 

Edited by grigorio

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is it they don't have the balls or that they are afraid revenue from ticket sales would take a hit?

This is the same organization that after all these years, still cannot figure out a way to move away from a reliance on kids' registration fees. 😞

As of next Wednesday in Ontario, outdoor sporting events can have a capacity of 25%, which at BMO Field would be 7,500 fans in the stands. Capacity levels certainly will come into play when the CSA decides to choose where to play.  Stage 3 capacity in Ontario has yet to be announced. All that has to get sorted out is the border and in my eyes everything else falls into place. 

Edited by Cblake

17 minutes ago, Cblake said:

As of next Wednesday in Ontario, outdoor sporting events can have a capacity of 25%, which at BMO Field would be 7,500 fans in the stands. Capacity levels certainly will come into play when the CSA decides to choose where to play.  Stage 3 capacity in Ontario has yet to be announced. All that has to get sorted out is the border and my eyes everything else falls into place. 

47 minutes ago, Cblake said:

As of next Wednesday in Ontario, outdoor sporting events can have a capacity of 25%, which at BMO Field would be 7,500 fans in the stands. Capacity levels certainly will come into play when the CSA decides to choose where to play.  Stage 3 capacity in Ontario has yet to be announced. All that has to get sorted out is the border and in my eyes everything else falls into place. 

That says outdoor event spaces. I'd wait to hear something specific that says stadium sports events fall in that category. 

1 hour ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

That says outdoor event spaces. I'd wait to hear something specific that says stadium sports events fall in that category. 

It also says:

• Outdoor sports games, leagues and events at 25% capacity

1 hour ago, RS said:

It also says:

• Outdoor sports games, leagues and events at 25% capacity

Section 8.1 specifically refers to 25% capacity limits for sports leagues listed under the regulation, that have an approved Return to Play Plan.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200263#BK2

I don't remember hearing about this when the reopening plan was announced, so either missed it or it flew under the radar. 

As to how far return to play plans have progressed, that hasn't been really discussed much. I presume Canada Soccer is funded by Sport Canada and is eligible to get its own plan approved for a Single Event. 

But against Honduras at home on September 2nd, we definitely want to set a tone early in this game. But I know a lot of us will probably always remember that 8-1 thrashing given to us by Honduras. But that was a different Canada squad. This squad for us now is on a whole other different level. Much more mature and just look at our pipeline of just sheer overall talent. This is as close to a Canadian golden generation of talent that I've seen in decades and that's saying a lot. Most of our guys are playing in top leagues all over the world now and just look at our overall record ever since Herdman has taken over as manager. Or what we did during our first phase of qualifying. Only giving up 1 goal but we have basically become a much more defensive minded team whilst attacking. 

However, now we will truly see what this Canada team is capable of come September in World Cup qualifying in the Octagonal because we go up against the real CONCACAF heavyweights.

But at the same time, we cannot underestimate Honduras either. They may have missed out on Russia 2018 by not qualifying but they are a team that is still talented at the end of the day.

Which is why I can't wait until September 2nd because it will make it all the more sweeter when we beat them. We can exercise that demon of the past (8-1).