Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

18 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Our players don't have a leg up on it.

Our players have definitely played on turf a lot more frequently then the Salvadorans or Hondurans. It's not really a good enough reason by itself for playing on turf but the players especially MLS ones will be a lot more comfortable playing on turf than our opponents in September.  

Edited by SkuseisLoose

On 6/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, SpursFlu said:

Its all symantecs out here at this point. Alberta drop everything July 1st. Trust me its all good for September 2nd. Start in BC go to Edmonton, go to US. Bingo bango bongo

Put the 6 or 7 pts in our pocket now plus the very needed revenue in our pocket

haha I wish. BC has been incredibly cautious and stuck to their timelines no matter what. I can’t see a scenario where they expedite reopening. 

there should be some crowds, Whitecaps are looking at potentially limited capacity but it can’t be a full crowd. 

Alberta seems a more likely candidate if they really want the revenue.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Bit diversionary but I wonder how many of the Central American players regularly play on turf.  I'd think that large parts of the region would be tailor made for just such a product.  Heat, wet, over use.  That sort of thing.

I just looked up the most recent Costa Rican league season on Wikipedia. I found a table with the list of teams and their stadiums. 5 of the stadiums were hyper links that I followed and 3 of those 5 had artificial turf, the other 2 grass. I did the same thing for Honduras, I think 3 didn't mention what the surface was, several were grass, and 1 artificial turf. 4 of the 5 stadiums from Panama that I found info on were artificial turf (and unrelated, the 2nd biggest stadium had a capacity of only 5,500. One of the teams plays in a stadium with a capacity of 900). For El Salvador they were mostly grass, a couple I couldn't find info on, and 1 artificial turf. I couldn't find any surface info on Jamaican league stadiums.

Or yet another list of venues for Canada

September 2nd- Honduras- Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium; because most restrictions in Alberta will be lifted by July so it makes perfect sense for Canada to play in a place with less restrictions)

September 8th- El Salvador- Toronto- BMO Field

October 13th- Panama- Toronto- BMO Field

November 2021- Costa Rica- BC Place- Vancouver 

November 2021- Mexico- BC Place- Vancouver 

January 30th, 2022- USA- BC Place- Vancouver

March 27th, 2022- Jamaica- Montréal- Stade Saputo 

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Canadians have to be the world turf champions. Its our real home field advance that people just don't want to embrace. Some countries have heat, humidity, altitude.... we got turf

Unless we play in Yellowknife in January at -30, unfortunately we do not have any big home field advantage like some of the other nations in our region have.☹️

I'm just really excited to see a meaningful game in front of my own eyes. Bottom line for me is the CSA is on the phone trying to book Honduras and El Salvador for September. For many reasons the overriding factor should be where can they put the most fans. I think that should be the priority 

6pts from the first 2 games would go such a long way and should happen 

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm just really excited to see a meaningful game in front of my own eyes. Bottom line for me is the CSA is on the phone trying to book Honduras and El Salvador for September. For many reasons the overriding factor should be where can they put the most fans. I think that should be the priority 

6pts from the first 2 games would go such a long way and should happen 

Then again like I keep saying it depends on our government approving us to play in Canada because they have final say

But that is if we are allowed

But 6 points from 2 games...our first 2 are against Honduras at home and USA on the road away...can we get a result in the US? But then we get El Salvador right after that...so how many points?

Against Honduras at home...we should get a W

Against the US away...best you can hope for is a draw

Against El Salvador at home...you get a W

That is 7 points realistically 

As of June 28th, the whole province of Quebec, and therefore Saputo Stadium would theoretically be able to host 3500 people.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1803569/covid-quebec-palier-vert-vendredi-25-juin

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/level-1-vigilance-green
https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/reopening-plan/festival-event

Given that the players, staff, media and all the other people who aren't fans that are needed on site, I can imagine a situation where, if the current regulations and trends continue, Montreal could host ~3100 fans.

---

BC won't be in their "Step 4" until Sept 7th at the earliest:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart#step-four

---

Ontario could be in "Step 3" by late July. It's not clear what the limits would be:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/reopening-ontario

---

Alberta's "Stage 3" will start on July 1st. It's not clear what capacity limits will be yet for stadiums.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

18 hours ago, narduch said:

Wouldn't a lot have come from the US? Which might not be possible this time.

Yes.  This part is worth repeating.   There seems to be this oft repeated notion out there that the foreign support and boisterism is all the making of ex-pats living in canada.   But, based on observations, i would venture to say that avery large part of it is traveling americans of latin american heritage.   80% of canadians live within 200 miles from the US border.  

How else to explain the large contingent that manages to show up in places like Edmonton.   

edit:  here is a good example to further this point.  There was Can-CRC freindly several years  ago at BMO.   At gold cups and other matches in the US and Cnda,  CRC support is very large.  But, THAT GAME WAS ON A WEEKNIGHT.  hence very inconvenient timewise for out of towners. There was a small continengent of CRC support in the east end.  But nowhere near as boisterous as what you would see if the game was played on a weekend.   They werent really noticable.  Thats because it was likely only locals who showed and they are people who live  in canada.  Americans didnt bother showing up.

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, RS said:

The priority should be to play wherever Herdman feels gives his team the best chance to win those games.

If that's the venue that can hold the most fans, then so be it.

I think its a little strange in Canada that we're so insecure that we think there is a dramatic switch in our chances of winning from one stadium to the next. We should just play the game and win. If there is a field with 2 goals and 11 aside, let's play. Its not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be. I just think right now in this current strange environment, the decision should be on who ever provides the least restrictions 

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its a little strange in Canada that we're so insecure that we think there is a dramatic switch in our chances of winning from one stadium to the next. We should just play the game and win. If there is a field with 2 goals and 11 aside, let's play. Its not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be. I just think right now in this current strange environment, the decision should be on who ever provides the least restrictions 

It's not strange nor insecure when you consider logistics, environment, field surface and other variables that go into such decisions.

If it was purely about capacity, Olympic Stadium would host every match.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

It's not strange nor insecure when you consider logistics, environment, field surface and other variables that go into such decisions.

If it was purely about capacity, Olympic Stadium would host every match.

Its a soccer game, don't over think it

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Yes

You're on a soccer message board, in a thread in which you've written multiple posts about where soccer games should be played, and you're telling me not to overthink where a soccer game should be played?

Ok chief.