Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Montreal was earlier, I think probably for 2010 but I wasn't as rabid a fan then so I'm not sure. For 2014 qualifying we played Honduras in Toronto and tied 0-0. I think McKenna headed one off the post, or maybe just missed.

He said 2 cycles ago, so I am assuming that @canadasoccer20 was talking about the 2014 cycle. That was the one with the blowout down in Honduras. That was over a decade ago now, which is crazy.

The game in question was indeed in Montreal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team_results_(2000–2019)

Edit: It was ALMOST a decade ago. October 16, 2012.

Edit again: whoops, you are right Kent, it was Toronto!

Edited by Obinna

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He said 2 cycles ago, so I am assuming that @canadasoccer20 was talking about the 2014 cycle. That was the one with the blowout down in Honduras. That was over a decade ago now, which is crazy.

The game in question was indeed in Montreal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team_results_(2000–2019)

Edit: It was ALMOST a decade ago. October 16, 2012.

The home game vs Honduras for 2014 WCQ was at BMO. 

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Plus those were very different Canada teams compared to the 2021 squad we have now

Honduras are a different team as well, but stylistically they are the same team. Canada now is unrecognizable in the way we play, particularly in the way we attack. The mentality of the group is also changing, slowly.

That's why I am giving the prediction that if we win the Gold Cup, we will qualify for Qatar.

Winning the Gold Cup will solidify our mentality shift.

Not just for the players, but for the fans as well. 

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Montreal was earlier, I think probably for 2010 but I wasn't as rabid a fan then so I'm not sure. For 2014 qualifying we played Honduras in Toronto and tied 0-0. I think McKenna headed one off the post, or maybe just missed.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Montreal I think it was, but yeah it is critical we get off to a good start. I don't think a draw is fatal, but a win would really set the tone. We have the talent to get it, just have to continue to be solid defensively, bring our A game and take our chances when they come, because they will come.

No it was Toronto June 2012 a few monthes before the game in Honduras..  We won that game we get 12 points Honduras get 9 and we make the Hex. The point I want to make is the importance of game 1. We need 3 points because I think Honduras is going to be our competition along with Jamaica and Costa Rica for the 3rd and 4th spot..

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Honduras are a different team as well, but stylistically they are the same team. Canada now is unrecognizable in the way we play, particularly in the way we attack. The mentality of the group is also changing, slowly.

That's why I am giving the prediction that if we win the Gold Cup, we will qualify for Qatar.

Winning the Gold Cup will solidify our mentality shift.

Not just for the players, but for the fans as well. 

Of course and I definitely agree with you as well. Because our talent just keeps growing with the talent we either have coming in through our youth systems but also through leagues around the world as well and our core group being together for such a long time. In essence, we are maturing in CONCACAF but it all comes down to our talent ultimately coming together and having the right coach. Under Herdman, we have gotten better.

5 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

No it was Toronto June 2012 a few monthes before the game in Honduras..  We won that game we get 12 points Honduras get 9 and we make the Hex. The point I want to make is the importance of game 1. We need 3 points because I think Honduras is going to be our competition along with Jamaica and Costa Rica for the 3rd and 4th spot..

Well we also have to worry about Panama too because they will also be in that mix among those teams especially if we try to go for 3rd or 4th spot. Like I said before, I'll say again we need to set a tone early.

7 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

So a bit of interesting information out of Victoria 

which seems a very high percentage for a stadium the size of westhills, maybe because it’s fully outside but could mean something towards the capacity allowed at B.C. place. The lions may be a better indication of that though. 

The rules for stage 3 of reopening in BC said 50% capacity or 5,000, whichever is bigger. So if you had a 5,000 seat stadium you could fill it to capacity. But a 100,000 seat stadium could only be filled to 50%. Actually, put another way, if you have a 5,000 seat stadium you can put in the same number of people as a 10,000 seat stadium.

I’m hoping it means a WCQ game in Langford. I had 62 people lined up to go to the March 27, 2020 Trinidad game before COVID happened. It would be sweet to see the game from that close.

(Side note: paying etransfer fees on 40+ reimbursements to friends and teammates was a bitter sauce on top of losing that game…)

I'm still 99% sure the September matches will be in Toronto. The only way this changes is if the pandemic has a come back.

My guess is the CSA doesn't really have to decide until mid August.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I'm still 99% sure the September matches will be in Toronto. The only way this changes is if the pandemic has a come back.

I agree with this. Unless Toronto specifically doesn’t allow it, I think we’ll be playing in Toronto. I find it hard to believe that Ontario would not allow the game to be played there. We are the most vaccinated province (at least of the provinces that have a big enough stadium). There’s no reason to believe, based on vaccination rates and infection rates, that Ontario won’t be in a very good place come September.

1 hour ago, shorty said:

I’m hoping it means a WCQ game in Langford. I had 62 people lined up to go to the March 27, 2020 Trinidad game before COVID happened. It would be sweet to see the game from that close.

(Side note: paying etransfer fees on 40+ reimbursements to friends and teammates was a bitter sauce on top of losing that game…)

On a related note, that means roughly 27k at BC Place

1 hour ago, narduch said:

FWIW, there are some traders and specuators in the financial world who are anticipating renewed lockdowns in the fall. These are people who are literally putting their money where their mouth is, so that's at least worth paying attention to.

Despite where the trend seems to be going, which is toward reopening, we should perhaps temper our expectations. Australia already has lockdowns again in some places as well, perhaps @SthMelbRed can speak to that.

My best guess right now is that for September games will go ahead in Toronto, but fans will either be banned from attending or it will be very restricted.

As for the remaining home matches in fall, at this point they are entirely up in the air when it comes to whether or not they will be played at home in front of fans.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

FWIW, there are some traders and specuators in the financial world who are anticipating renewed lockdowns in the fall. These are people who are literally putting their money where their mouth is, so that's at least worth paying attention to.

Despite where the trend seems to be going, which is toward reopening, we should perhaps temper our expectations. Australia already has lockdowns again in some places as well, perhaps @SthMelbRed can speak to that.

My best guess right now is that for September games will go ahead in Toronto, but fans will either be banned from attending or it will be very restricted.

As for the remaining home matches in fall, at this point they are entirely up in the air when it comes to whether or not they will be played at home in front of fans.

Not for anything but the Stock Market isn't real life.

The September window is basically before school starts. So I am expecting that they will be full steam ahead. At worst 10,000 fans will be allowed. But on Ontario's current trajectory I expect it will be a lot higher than that.

Its the other windows that could be in jeopardy of having fans as unvaccinated kids get back into school and cases will probably rise again as we have done basically nothing to make schools safer during a pandemic.

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

The September window is basically before school starts. So I am expecting that they will be full steam ahead. At worst 10,000 fans will be allowed. But on Ontario's current trajectory I expect it will be a lot higher than that.

Its the other windows that could be in jeopardy of having fans as unvaccinated kids get back into school and cases will probably rise again as we have done basically nothing to make schools safer during a pandemic.

Kids never left school in BC so since we didn't help fuel the prolong the curve strategy, we can just do everything in BC. Im happy for us to be Canada's Texas. The loopy lefty version. Instead of covid protocols teams will have to fire walk, attend a meditation retreat and drink a tub of chick broth

Edited by SpursFlu

Just now, narduch said:

I don't know why you are getting snarky by saying the Stock Market is not real life. It may be heavily manipulated, but it is literally where real people go to make bets on how the future unfold. Doesn't get more real than that.

We agree that September may be safe as it's close enough to benefit from the summer boost, and we are on the same page that the other windows are very much in question.

The question is whether the anticipated fall lockdowns will affect the September window or not.

My guess is no, but I wouldn't take that to the bank. I am far more optimistic for September than the rest.

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Kids never left school in BC so since we didn't help fuel the prolong the curve strategy, we can just do everything in BC. Im happy for us to be Canada's Texas. The loopy lefty version. Instead of covid protocols teams will have to fire walk, attend a meditation retreat and eat a tub of chick broth

Not sure BC is a good example, considering they under-counted covid deaths by 78%.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't know why you are getting snarky by saying the Stock Market is not real life. It may be heavily manipulated, but it is literally where real people go to make bets on how the future unfold. Doesn't get more real than that.

We agree that September may be safe as it's close enough to benefit from the summer boost, and we are on the same page that the other windows are very much in question.

The question is whether the anticipated fall lockdowns will affect the September window or not.

My guess is no, but I wouldn't take that to the bank. I am far more optimistic for September than the rest.

Due to vaccination levels we probably won't see cases rise too much until schools reopen. Which is after Labour Day and is basically after the first window is finished. It will then take 4-6 weeks for the case levels to rise enough for restrictions to start creeping back.

People who want life to get back to normal should be pushing their anti-vax friends to bite the bullet and get vaccinated. That is our clearest path right now to normalcy.

Edited by narduch

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Due to vaccination levels we probably won't see cases rise too much until schools reopen. Which is after Labour Day and is basically after the first window is finished. It will then take 4-6 weeks for the case levels to rise enough for restrictions to start creeping back.

People who wanted life to get back to normal should be pushing their anti-vax friends to bite the bullet and get vaccinated. That is our clearest path right now to normalcy.

Fall is flu season. That's the biggest factor here. The vaccinated and unvaccinated alike will pick up viruses and their variants. That's why all the other windows may be in jepordy.