Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

10 hours ago, shorty said:

I’m hoping it means a WCQ game in Langford. I had 62 people lined up to go to the March 27, 2020 Trinidad game before COVID happened. It would be sweet to see the game from that close.

(Side note: paying etransfer fees on 40+ reimbursements to friends and teammates was a bitter sauce on top of losing that game…)

tangerine bro, tangerine bro, no bank fees, unlimited transactions, regardless of account size.

15 hours ago, shorty said:

I’m hoping it means a WCQ game in Langford. I had 62 people lined up to go to the March 27, 2020 Trinidad game before COVID happened. It would be sweet to see the game from that close.

I highly doubt that happens, my friend.

1. If they're OK only playing on front of 5,000 they'll play on the grass at swangard.

2. If the grass/turf thing isn't an issue they'll play in front of >25,000 at BC place in a heartbeat.

Looks like that park could get a cool atmosphere. But unfortunately you've got a small turf stadium there, with different sports' lines all over the field (please correct me on that one if the new turf doesn't). Maybe you'll get a warmup game against Pacific fc or some friendlies but I just don't see a real game happening there.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

11 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I highly doubt that happens, my friend.

1. If they're OK only playing on front of 5,000 they'll play on the grass at swangard.

2. If the grass/turf thing isn't an issue they'll play in front of >25,000 at BC place in a heartbeat.

Looks like that park could get a cool atmosphere. But unfortunately you've got a small turf stadium there, with different sports' lines all over the field (please correct me on that one if the new turf doesn't). Maybe you'll get a warmup game against Pacific fc or some friendlies but I just don't see a real game happening there.

Oh I suspect you’re right for upcoming games — just being hopeful.  

The Octo will be different of course because of the potential draw for tickets (COVID dependent), but they did have the Trinidad WCQ game slated for Westhills in March 2020, even with all the good points you raise that would have suggested otherwise. The secondary goal of supporting the Canpl by bringing Canmnt to those markets is still in play, but I think it’s true that the stars aren’t lining up as they were before. I’m confident we’ll get a WCQ in the future, but it will likely be a friendly of some kind, or a minnow round game for 2030 (if we still have to do that by then). 

Back to wishful thinking…

:)

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

One thing that could be in Victoria's favor is if Vancouver gets the Honduras game (if) logistically they may like Victoria for the El Salvador game. Just thinking out loud

That’s the sort of thing I’m hopeful for. 

8 hours ago, shorty said:

Oh I suspect you’re right for upcoming games — just being hopeful.  

The Octo will be different of course because of the potential draw for tickets (COVID dependent), but they did have the Trinidad WCQ game slated for Westhills in March 2020, even with all the good points you raise that would have suggested otherwise. The secondary goal of supporting the Canpl by bringing Canmnt to those markets is still in play, but I think it’s true that the stars aren’t lining up as they were before. I’m confident we’ll get a WCQ in the future, but it will likely be a friendly of some kind, or a minnow round game for 2030 (if we still have to do that by then). 

Back to wishful thinking…

:)

That wasn't a WCQ game. That was a pair of friendlies if I'm not mistaken.

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

Apparently the FMF (Mexico) is trying to have the woman’s national team serve the ban for their two home games.

https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2021/7/2/22560520/report-fmf-mulling-having-womens-national-team-play-two-games-behind-closed-doors-el-grito-homofobo?utm_campaign=golazodelgringo&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

If this happens, this is Concacaf at its finest 🤣.

There is zero percent chance FIFA will allow this to happen.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Apparently the FMF (Mexico) is trying to have the woman’s national team serve the ban for their two home games.

https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2021/7/2/22560520/report-fmf-mulling-having-womens-national-team-play-two-games-behind-closed-doors-el-grito-homofobo?utm_campaign=golazodelgringo&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

There is just so much that is wrong about this proposal.  Lol 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

If FIFA allows this, someone is getting a brown envelope!

4 hours ago, Shway said:

If that happens it definitely is not fair on the Mexican women's team especially when it comes to their qualification chances for 2023 FIFA WWC

On 7/2/2021 at 5:15 AM, shorty said:

My bad. In my memory it was in the previous incarnation of the WCQ, but they were friendlies. Thanks Kent, narduch.

They were friendlies, but they were part of the campaign to overtake El Salvador in Fifa rankings and qualify for the Hex.  So they were essentially qualifying games.

9 minutes ago, lenny said:

Mexico:   "Did we mention we're sexist too?"

But it is true that they do the chant at women's games. I've also seen women doing the chant

I'm not saying the women's team should have served the punishment but now the precedent has been set, if the chant happens at a women's game you can't make the men serve the punishment 

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

But it is true that they do the chant at women's games. I've also seen women doing the chant

I'm not saying the women's team should have served the punishment but now the precedent has been set, if the chant happens at a women's game you can't make the men serve the punishment 

Was there a suggestion that the men's team would be punished for something that happened at a women's team game?

10 minutes ago, lenny said:

Was there a suggestion that the men's team would be punished for something that happened at a women's team game?

I think the discussion was who are you punishing? The team or the federation? There is also a question of the fact that it occurred in America. So the people doing the chant we're likely not Mexicans but Americans cheering for Mexico. So its all about precedent. What are you establishing? And how will they apply it in the future 

Edited by SpursFlu