Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

22 hours ago, Ansem said:

Yet the US play games across their country... it's dumb that we don't either.

This got me curious about where the US plays their home World Cup qualifiers (not friendlies or Gold Cup games), and this is what I found for the last cycle:

• St Louis, Missouri
  • Columbus, Ohio (x2)
  • Jacksonville, Florida
  • San Jose, California
  • Commerce City, Colorado
  • Harrison, New Jersey
  • Orlando, Florida

These eight games are from the fourth and fifth round of WCQ for 2018. Broken down by time zone, it was five games in the Eastern Time Zone and one each in Pacific, Central and Mountain. Without looking into to further (and just relying on my memory), I'd say that's pretty standard for a US WCQ campaign.

It will probably be similar to what we end up with here: roughly 60-65% of games in the East time zone, and the rest spread out.

The more I look at the schedule the more I appreciate the script that's being written there.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that almost every team in this qualifying round could be in it to the very end. 

I love/hate our start.  Feels like we always start slow and you just CAN'T drop points at home in this tourney but we also get the USA & Mexico aways over with so even if we're playing catch up after October the hardest job is over with.  If we poach a point out of those matches that's found money as far as I'm concerned.

And I love/hate our finish.  Away to Costa Rica, back home against Jamaica and then away to Panama in the space of 6 days.  That's insane.  And assuming it's Jamaica, Panama, Costo Rica and Honduras we'll be battling it out with their schedules aren't much better (if at all).

Costa Rico easily the best.  Host Canada, away to El Salvador and host USA.  No travel and they'll get a USA match which will be meaningless to the Americans by that point so they have to like their odds of grabbing a mitt full of points in March.

Jamaica's not too bad either.  Host El Salvador, away to Canada and then host Honduras 3 days after Honduras will have hosted Mexico.  (Mexico already qualified or no, THAT is going to be one fun match).  So Jamaica also have to be feeling good about gathering up some points regardless of what happens during their trip north. 

Panama has two home dates with a trip to the USA in-between.  USA will very much care about home results even if the points would just be frosting on the cake.  And... they'll be hosting two immediate rivals, one who'll be looking desperate for points because they probably aren't expecting any from their last two matches, and the other one knowng they need a result on the last day to qualify.  Tough job.

Honduras better be in a good spot by March.  As mentioned above away to Panama, hosting Mexico and away to Jamaica.  Not a ton of travel but away to two immediate rivals who probably will be in the "it's either you or us, pal." position and since we're at "the end of the road."  let the fun begin.  That's three hard matches.  

Sorry for being so long.  Just typing out loud.

Probably noticed I'm working on some assumptions.  USA & Mexico a given, El Salvador an also-ran and nobody else running away with it or shitting the bed, either of which could happen. 

(Those three home matches in Oct/Nov, Panama, Costo Rica & Mexico.  Too important.  Ug...)   

6 hours ago, RS said:

This got me curious about where the US plays their home World Cup qualifiers (not friendlies or Gold Cup games), and this is what I found for the last cycle:

• St Louis, Missouri
  • Columbus, Ohio (x2)
  • Jacksonville, Florida
  • San Jose, California
  • Harrison, New Jersey
  • Orlando, Florida

These eight games are from the fourth and fifth round of WCQ for 2018. Broken down by time zone, it was five games in the Eastern Time Zone and one each in Pacific, Central and Mountain. Without looking into to further (and just relying on my memory), I'd say that's pretty standard for a US WCQ campaign.

It will probably be similar to what we end up with here: roughly 60-65% of games in the East time zone, and the rest spread out.

The US will likely play us in the most convenient location for them in terms of travel, and will factor in recent venues ( we won't return to Kansas City ), and the fact that they can play us in certain locations where they cannot play teams like Costa Rica or Mexico.

Houston seems like a good choice from their POV and so does Orlando. If they really want to play a match in New Jersey at some point, we are likely the best opponent for that location.

Their Novmeber match against Mexico will likely be the brand new TQL in Cincinnati or the new Columbus Crew stadium.

I can't imagine a situation where the US hosts us in Ohio or Minnesota, knowing that these are the best venues for them to host in October or November.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The US will likely play us in the most convenient location for them in terms of travel, and will factor in recent venues ( we won't return to Kansas City ), and the fact that they can play us in certain locations where they cannot play teams like Costa Rica or Mexico.

Houston seems like a good choice from their POV and so does Orlando. If they really want to play a match in New Jersey at some point, we are likely the best opponent for that location.

Their Novmeber match against Mexico will likely be the brand new TQL in Cincinnati or the new Columbus Crew stadium.

I can't imagine a situation where the US hosts us in Ohio or Minnesota, knowing that these are the best venues for them to host in October or November.

All of this is likely correct for that specific game, but I only posted what I did because I was curious about where the USMNT played their matches after @Ansem said they played all over the country.

In fact, the US tends to stay in the East more often than not during WCQ, which is what I expect Canada to do as well.

6 hours ago, RS said:

• St Louis, Missouri
  • Columbus, Ohio (x2)
  • Jacksonville, Florida
  • San Jose, California
  • Harrison, New Jersey
  • Orlando, Florida

The US doesnt have the same climate constraints that Canada has.   For example,  Canada has 2-3 home games in Jan-Mar 2022.   I dont see where else in canada that you could play those games other than at BC place.  For example the Jan 30th game against the US,  there is nowhere in canada (other than BC) where you can play soccer outdoors on Jan 30.

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The US doesnt have the same climate constraints that Canada has.   For example,  Canada has 2-3 home games in Jan-Mar 2022.   I dont see where else in canada that you could play those games other than at BC place.  For example the Jan 30th game against the US,  there is nowhere in canada (other than BC) where you can play soccer outdoors on Jan 30.

Yes, that Jan. 30 game will almost certainly be at BC Place.

Every other game can be played outdoors if the CSA/Herdman want it to.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not ignoring that "elephant in the room".  Please explain how the Mexican federation is punished by not having fans at a Gold Cup event.  Because they're not.  Their prize money is the same, regardless of how many fans are in the stands.  You're looking at the start of the tournament.  If when Mexican fans would be allowed back in, if they chant it again, would you suspend all ticket sales for the finals?  "Whoops, sorry American fans.  Gotta revoke those tickets.  Mexican fans chanted during the semi-finals so we have to punish them again."

I think it would be interesting if CONCACAF also barred "friendly" Mexican games in the US for a time as further punishment (or at least had them behind closed doors, though then there's no point to holding them in the US.)

Please re-read the last sentence I wrote.  "If it was only about punishing the federation then I would totally agree with you."  You are 100% correct that a crowd ban at the Gold Cup does not hurt the federation.  If the WCQ-specific punishment is only about hurting the federation then I agree with absolutely everything you've written in this thread. 

The issue I have is whether this is supposed to be a punishment for the "fans".  The fans are not the federation, nor do they belong to any one promoter or entity.  The fans are the people who shouted the abuse at Cowboys Stadium last month and will be permitted to do so again next month.  These fans are not being punished at all.

On a side note, I started the "WCQ Away Game Travel" thread last week to make plans for the away trip to Mexico.  Myself and others are now barred from attending this game through no fault of our own.  I'm fine with it.

For all we know, by the time these games roll around teams may be forced to play without fans due to government lockdowns. I wonder how people would take this “punishment” if that were to occur. Would kind of make it seem like a toothless punishment.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Yes, that Jan. 30 game will almost certainly be at BC Place.

Every other game can be played outdoors if the CSA/Herdman want it to.

I'd have thought the weather would have been warm enough to play outdoors at Langford in late January.

19 hours ago, Cblake said:

Its a 2026 World Cup venue and got new turf for the 2015 WWC.

I mean in 2016 well after the world cup TFC was complaining about the quality. The Quebec Government has said they're not giving money towards the big O's refurbishment so it's still a horrible venue. The game won't be played there in January. 

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-call-big-o-turf-dangerous-1.616148?tsn-amp

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Please re-read the last sentence I wrote.  "If it was only about punishing the federation then I would totally agree with you."  You are 100% correct that a crowd ban at the Gold Cup does not hurt the federation.  If the WCQ-specific punishment is only about hurting the federation then I agree with absolutely everything you've written in this thread. 

The issue I have is whether this is supposed to be a punishment for the "fans".  The fans are not the federation, nor do they belong to any one promoter or entity.  The fans are the people who shouted the abuse at Cowboys Stadium last month and will be permitted to do so again next month.  These fans are not being punished at all.

On a side note, I started the "WCQ Away Game Travel" thread last week to make plans for the away trip to Mexico.  Myself and others are now barred from attending this game through no fault of our own.  I'm fine with it.

Well, we all know that the Mexico WCQ games in Canada and the US will draw a lot of Mexican fans. Will you be banning fans from these events? It would certainly punish the Mexican fans.

36 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Well, we all know that the Mexico WCQ games in Canada and the US will draw a lot of Mexican fans. Will you be banning fans from these events? It would certainly punish the Mexican fans.

Maybe we should water board anyone who kinda resembles Speedy Gonzalez at the entrance to find out if they cheer for Mexico. Those bastards will all pay

As I think to myself, what a wonderful...

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'd have thought the weather would have been warm enough to play outdoors at Langford in late January.

the weather should be ok to play outdside in late january, but i'll take 50,000 at bc place over 5,000 at westhills any day of the week. if you're desperate to play outdoors you may as well play at swangard.

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

4 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

the weather should be ok to play outdside in late january, but i'll take 50,000 at bc place over 5,000 at westhills any day of the week. if you're desperate to play outdoors you may as well play at swangard.

Yeah, I figured this was obvious. Why play at Langford (or Swangard, I guess) when you can get a much bigger crowd at BC Place? They can even open the roof if people insist on it being outdoors. 

54 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Canada - Mexico ratio at BC place in 16'

in my memory there was like 25,000 of them. in reality it was probably closer to ~7-8,000ish. they were just far louder because they actually had something to cheer for :(

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

1 minute ago, RS said:

Yeah, I figured this was obvious. Why play at Langford (or Swangard, I guess) when you can get a much bigger crowd at BC Place? They can even open the roof if people insist on it being outdoors. 

i just lobbed swangard out there in case people want outdoors AND grass. but yes, i'll be very surprised if that game is not at bc place.

i'd also be surprised if the roof is open, so rainy in january here 🌧️ 

7 minutes ago, RS said:

They're not going to Victoria for this one.  BC Place all the way but I am also doubling down on my bet that this will be the only fixture there for the Ocho. 

10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They're not going to Victoria for this one.  BC Place all the way but I am also doubling down on my bet that this will be the only fixture there for the Ocho. 

i selfishly want a couple more there, but i think you may be right about that one. just too much travel/time zone difference for our european-based players.

12 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

....however...with the likes Davies and Buchanon in the line up (guys with extensive experience on Field Turf), we could turn it into a pretty good track meet out there on the attack.  Just spitballing here for discussion sake.  Do the Ticos still play on synthetic for their home games?

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

....however...with the likes Davies and Buchanon in the line up (guys with extensive experience on Field Turf), we could turn it into a pretty good track meet out there on the attack.  Just spitballing here for discussion sake.  Do the Ticos still play on synthetic for their home games?

i like what you're thinking. also, look for the costa rica game in novermber to possibly be in winnipeg or ottawa (just my prediction). bmo, bc place, and commonwealth all have cfl games that weekend.

and i'm pretty sure the Ticos have grass at their home stadium.