Easton Ongaro

WyattTaylor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Ongaro returns to FC Edmonton after purchase option isn't exercised, good for the CPL and FCE, probably disappointing for Easton.  He can now become the all-time leading goal scorer in the CPL. Ongaro returns to FC Edmonton from loan stint in Denmark – Canadian Premier League (canpl.ca)

I actually think this would be a disappointment to the CPL (and FCE to a certain extent) if the goal is to prove the CPL can develop players and move them on to higher leagues.

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Not a homerun but a good job all around.  Ongaro goes to D-1 Denmark and pots a couple goals in 435min.  They dont go for the transfer but he didnt fall on his face.  I'm interested to see if this taste of europe really revs him up and he has a dominant year in Edmonton.  

He was in D2 in Denmark, wasn't he? Same division as Okello.

Edit: nevermind, the 2nd tier in Denmark is called D1

Edited by Obinna

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Interesting that Arad is the 3rd largest city in Transylvania, where Hungarians and Romanians come together revisit old grievances. Ongaro, in Italian, and for all I know Romanian, means "Hungarian."

Seems like destiny to me. Although I'm a Turga Mures supporter. Don't ask me to spell that in Hungarian.

34 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Interesting that Arad is the 3rd largest city in Transylvania, where Hungarians and Romanians come together revisit old grievances. Ongaro, in Italian, and for all I know Romanian, means "Hungarian."

Seems like destiny to me. Although I'm a Turga Mures supporter. Don't ask me to spell that in Hungarian.

Actually, ungherese is Italian for Hungarian. Ungheria is Italian for Hungry. 

23 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

There's a thing about Italy that many people are not aware. She has many, many dialects and a couple of them - Neapolitan & Sicilian - are considered by many linguists as languages. So maybe Ongaro is Hungarian in one of those dialects. I only know Neapolitan and the national Italian.

Or maybe Wikipedia is living up to its reputation and is spewing misinformation.

Edited by Sal333

Its almost certainly derived from Ungaro which does mean Hungarian in Italian. When a lot of Italian Immigrants arrived in North America they were literally asked what their name was. Easton's ancestor probably said "Ungaro" and the immigration officer wrote "Ongaro" I know quite a few Italian families that this happened to.

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

Its almost certainly derived from Ungaro which does mean Hungarian in Italian. When a lot of Italian Immigrants arrived in North America they were literally asked what their name was. Easton's ancestor probably said "Ungaro" and the immigration officer wrote "Ongaro" I know quite a few Italian families that this happened to.

It happened to Vito Andolini, from Corleone, when he arrived at Ellis Island in 1901, too!