Easton Ongaro

WyattTaylor

On 1/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

Interesting that Arad is the 3rd largest city in Transylvania, where Hungarians and Romanians come together revisit old grievances. Ongaro, in Italian, and for all I know Romanian, means "Hungarian."

Seems like destiny to me. Although I'm a Turga Mures supporter. Don't ask me to spell that in Hungarian.

So, he is 6'5 playing in Transylvania??  Why not die his hair black and say his friends call him the count??  Cheesy on the nose marketing, or maybe genius??  

04eaed6572b7de3cf681c098d87cb9a0.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UTA are one of the most successful teams in Romania historically, with good support, although had problems for many years and only returned to the top flight last season

They have a decent project for the funds they’ve got imo, but I also can’t see them making playoffs (top 6) this season. They started the season ok but are struggling badly to score goals lately. Hopefully Ongaro can help with that, his main competition with be ex Croatia U21 Dangubic (has been extremely wasteful honestly, should get chances ahead of him immediately) and Lithuanian international Laukzemis (also a new signing)

I think he’ll suffer on some of the pitches of the smaller clubs like Academica Clinceni (a village team who have no business in the top flight, but they’re definitely relegating imo and are likely to be replaced by more traditional, well supported teams currently at the top of Liga 2, for next season - Petrolul Ploiesti, and possibly U Cluj). So increased competitiveness for next season, which is always good

If he succeeds, good look for CPL and maybe open up the way for more moves to Europe 🤞

Edited by Filip

3 hours ago, Filip said:

...So increased competitiveness for next season, which is always good...

FCSB vs Steaua Bucharest would be an interesting fixture if/when it happens. Rapid Bucharest appear to have sorted themselves out again so hopefully Romanian football is in better shape financially and things are on the upswing and more of the traditional clubs will reemerge.

Was staying close to Rapid's ground a few years back on a work related trip and was hoping to be able to take in a game only to find out they had completely collapsed financially and their main phoenix club was in a local Bucharest only fourth division. Decided to give that a miss but later found out there had been 30,000+ at a game later that season against the resurrected old school version of Steaua so maybe they would have been worth watching. The other reasonably famous club close by from the Ceausescu era, one of Hagi's old clubs Sportul Studentesc, that had been my plan B had sunk without trace which was a bit depressing.

Even if the league's finances aren't strong I'm sure the playing standard is still decent and if Ongaro can prove himself with UT Arad other doors will start to open.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

FCSB vs Steaua Bucharest would be an interesting fixture if/when it happens. Rapid Bucharest appear to have sorted themselves out again so hopefully Romanian football is in better shape financially and things are on the upswing and more of the traditional clubs will reemerge.

Was staying close to Rapid's ground a few years back on a work related trip and was hoping to be able to take in a game only to find out they had completely collapsed financially and their main phoenix club was in a local Bucharest only fourth division. Decided to give that a miss but later found out there had been 30,000+ at a game later that season against the resurrected old school version of Steaua so maybe they would have been worth watching. The other reasonably famous club close by from the Ceausescu era, one of Hagi's old clubs Sportul Studentesc, that had been my plan B had sunk without trace which was a bit depressing.

Even if the league's finances aren't strong I'm sure the playing standard is still decent and if Ongaro can prove himself with UT Arad other doors will start to open.

Yeah, that’s another thing. Interesting when they face each other but a situation that needs to be resolved, these clones (FCU vs CS U Craiova, FCSB vs Steaua) hopefully die out / merge in the coming years so that the fans can be united and there’s no confusion of identity & honours

Anyways, for CSA Steaua, they technically can’t even promote right now since Sport Law in Romania states that public clubs (funded by the state) cannot be part of the top-flight. They want to change that though, they actually have been talking about it today

and yeah, it’s not what it was in 2009 (7th best coefficient in UEFA with 2 CL teams!), but still some decent sides and gems for sure

Owner of FCSB is a nutter, Gigi Becali, he ruined the great potential of the team that knocked out Ajax & beat Chelsea in EL 2013. Owners like this are part of the problem in Romania, but Hagi is doing a great project with Farul and his academy there. Rapid as you said are looking good too, Craiova (if they can stop choking and make a couple better decisions at the top, huge  support and good facilities), Dinamo if they ever resolve their mess after the Spaniards who came and left..

CFR Cluj also seem to be starting to make decent transfers again instead of stupid, wasteful deals after the old scouting director left. There’s definitely potential. but I think it will take years to really see the changes

anyways sorry for going off-topic here

Rooting for Ongaro! 

43 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

He'll be playing in a new stadium, Stadionul Francisc von Neuman (New), opened August 28 2020 (seating approx 12.7K).  Unfortunately, it took six years to build.  Hopefully he won't have to wait for his pay that long.

wHFV4Jk.jpg

I mean it's no Clarke Stadium, but I guess it's alright.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

He'll be playing in a new stadium, Stadionul Francisc von Neuman (New), opened August 28 2020 (seating approx 12.7K).  Unfortunately, it took six years to build.  Hopefully he won't have to wait for his pay that long.

wHFV4Jk.jpg

Salaries should be paid on time at UTA, they’re a decently run club at the moment, even though they’re not rich

The ones that have had unpaid players this season afaik were the bottom two teams, Clinceni and Dinamo (who just sold their star player to Poland for €800k, which will help them as they’ve been desperate)

UTA’s remaining fixtures of the regular season are against mostly poorer sides, so a good opportunity for him to score goals & the team to move up the table

The toughest matches will be away to Rapid (Jan 29) and CFR Cluj (Feb 9; win last four titles & current league leaders), Sepsi will also be tricky (Feb 5)

Edited by Filip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, Roger was UTA’s best player by far and also counted towards the non-EU limit

here’s the stoppage time equalizer Easton just scored after coming on in minute 64! Nice outside boot finish

surely he’ll start against Clinceni next week, by far the weakest team in the league, and continue to solidify his place as starter 🤞