Joel Waterman

nolando

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fair, but it still seems weird he is lurking up there since the kick to him wasn’t a dead ball situation.  He obviously didn’t go rogue or anything- I just find it odd. 

It was a typical second phase from a corner, happens all the time. Corner taken, cleared, Kone controls back to Lappalainen, and then the Finn with the ball in to Waterman. Hardly strange or irresponsible at all.

Just now, jonovision said:

It was a typical second phase from a corner, happens all the time. Corner taken, cleared, Kone controls back to Lappalainen, and then the Finn with the ball in to Waterman. Hardly strange or irresponsible at all.

At. Didn’t see the buildup play so was wondering.   

I've been saying it since we got him, the guy is a quality modern CB. Solid enough 1/1, positionally great, and can push forward and spray the ball across the field. (Very similar player to Joachim Anderson at Palace) 

Nobody else in Canada's current CB pool can do it as comfortably. In games where we want to hold possession I think he's a no brainer. 

Edited by Chad_Impact

2 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I've been saying it since we got him, the guy is a quality modern CB. Solid enough 1/1, positionally great, and can push forward and spray the ball across the field. (Very similar player to Joachim Anderson at Palace) 

Nobody else in Canada's current CB pool can do it as comfortably. In games where we want to hold possession I think he's a no brainer. 

In a back 3, Vitoria, Johnston & Miller are all decent in passing and moving the ball. In a back 4 it's probably Vitoria and Miller. I don't think passing skills is what  Canada is lacking at CB. We have Eustaquio and Atiba in front of the CBs to progress the ball. I think what we lack is a defensively sound shut down CB, a strong tackler 1v1  preferably with decent speed and good at clearing aerial crosses into the box... :) 

Edited by Kadenge

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I really hope he gets capped, he deserves it. He went from USL2, League One BC, CPL, now MLS, if he ever plays meaningful minutes for Canada, that's pretty much the ideal domestic development story you can ask for.

Technically I don't think League One BC was around when Waterman played semi-pro. I believe it was officially launched this year. I do agree with you though, his come up has been impressive. Watching him live with Cavalry I thought he was a good piece of the puzzle in Calgary, but he never jumped out at me as someone who'd be a regular MLS starter in just a few short years. I think that shows players just need opportunities. MacNaughton is a similar case. Both are CBs though, I wonder if that's just coincidence....

I like to monitor how many official club matches our players rack up, and needless to say Waterman is short on experience, given that he's a late bloomer. For a 96 he only has played roughly 120 games, and that includes the PDL/USL 2 matches. That's very light for a professional player. However, he's on pace to play +35 games in all competitions this season, and I have no reason to think he can't replicate that next year, so he's filling that experience gap quickly, which is nice. 

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Technically I don't think League One BC was around when Waterman played semi-pro. I believe it was officially launched this year. I do agree with you though, his come up has been impressive. Watching him live with Cavalry I thought he was a good piece of the puzzle in Calgary, but he never jumped out at me as someone who'd be a regular MLS starter in just a few short years. I think that shows players just need opportunities. MacNaughton is a similar case. Both are CBs though, I wonder if that's just coincidence....

I like to monitor how many official club matches our players rack up, and needless to say Waterman is short on experience, given that he's a late bloomer. For a 96 he only has played roughly 120 games, and that includes the PDL/USL 2 matches. That's very light for a professional player. However, he's on pace to play +35 games in all competitions this season, and I have no reason to think he can't replicate that next year, so he's filling that experience gap quickly, which is nice. 

I think this fits into the discussion in the other thread about european development vs. Canadian/North American, because even though he's only played 120 games, and he is a late bloomer, but he did play 4 seasons of university soccer before that. if Waterman was an 02 instead of a '96, would he have gone to university in Canada, or would he have been signed by a NextPro team, a CPL team, even the NCAA scouts Canada more closely now than they did a decade ago- and this is ignoring the many more european opportunities that are available to canadians now. I think the next player who follows in his footsteps is going to naturally develop at a higher level, because our soccer development is at a higher level.

CBs that will certainly get called Miller, Vitoria, Kennedy, Johnston. 

Then, if he picks a RB other than Laryea, I don’t see us with 6 CBs in the squad, as Johnston will play central. So you have one spot left and it belongs to Henry. There’s no point of calling a benchwarmer who never played for the team. Henry can bring a lot off the field/on the bench/in the locker room.

If we go with 6 CBs, yeah Waterman for sure.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Johnston will surely play a position that he's spent far less than half of his recent, and career, appearances for both national and club teams playing?

It depends on if we play with 2 or 3 CBs. If it’s with 2, he could come as a late sub for Laryea but not starting him is talent wasting. Really hope we go with the 3-5-2, he’s a beast at RCB.

I like the 3-5-2 if we put David and Davies upfront to play counter attack. Davies as a wingback would be wasting his talent if we defend deep.

Perhaps versus Marocco he can play WB with Larin/David upfront.

Let Davies roam behind both fullback and play into space. That's how we are going to score.

Edited by P-O

On 8/9/2022 at 11:11 AM, Obinna said:

CBs might be the hardest position to scout in my opinion. So much of what makes a CB good/great is positioning, which isn't something that smacks you in the face screaming "all-star". It might play out like an offensive player receiving a pass but there is a defender standing there to block off any progress, so he plays a simple lateral or backwards pass. Or maybe due to the good defender's positioning the pass doesn't come at all. Plus if a good CB is playing on an otherwise bad defensive team, it's hard to notice they are good. The good CB might end up trying to chase down other people's mistakes and have to sacrifice their man to do so (but of course organizing a defense is partly on the CB as well, but you can only do so much). Yes you need some physical tools to play the position, but really what you want is a smart player that is stable, so it can be hard to tell who is able to do that at a high level when they are playing with players at a lower level.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see him rewarded with a callup for those friendlies. Must keep updating your resume and he is starting for a top team in the East. I'm not sure how big of a squad we will call for those games. 

I am in the Waterman over Henry camp. Henry can't get any significant minutes and hasn't for a long time now. We know what Henry brings with intangibles so that will probably be enough for Herdman.

Call me old fashioned but I like it when our players are playing real minutes lol. I believe Herdman issued that challenge to the players to find a good level and play. Will he keep someone off the flight if they fail that? idk.