Joel Waterman

nolando

33 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Disappointed that CFMTL are playing both Waterman and Johnston at that RCB position.  I was hoping they would both get a lot of playing time this season but absent any injuries it might be one or the other.  Not the best situation.

Same.  I'd feel better about it if Yao steals Camacho's place.  Other option would be trying to slide Miller to the center CB role and have Waterman and Johnston on either side.  I believe I've seen Waterman play on the left a couple of times?

I just don't see Waterman or Johnston playing the center role.

• 2 weeks later...

Were definitely some shaky moments last night against Cruz Azul, especially when he was playing on the left side, but that could be said of the entire Montreal D until they subbed out Camacho and moved Waterman to centre. Until Miller was brought in in the 57th minute, the Montreal back line could not move the ball forward. It was not pretty. However, Waterman didn't get exposed in one v one situations, and looked better moving the ball after he was moved to centre.

Overall, have to say its another step in a CPL success story as he looks like a reliable MLS player, even at the CCL level now.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Were definitely some shaky moments last night against Cruz Azul, especially when he was playing on the left side, but that could be said of the entire Montreal D until they subbed out Camacho and moved Waterman to centre. Until Miller was brought in in the 57th minute, the Montreal back line could not move the ball forward. It was not pretty. However, Waterman didn't get exposed in one v one situations, and looked better moving the ball after he was moved to centre.

Overall, have to say its another step in a CPL success story as he looks like a reliable MLS player, even at the CCL level now.

He looked much better in the center.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

If not Waterman than McNaughton should get a call.  Very good for CPL to have recent grads doing so well in MLS.  

After watching the last two TFC matches, I am pumping the brakes on McNaughton somewhat.  I have concerns about his recovery pace:  he got caught out on the very early opening goal vs Cincy and could not close down Cavallini on the winner today.  Other areas of his game have been fairly solid  however.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

After watching the last two TFC matches, I am pumping the brakes on McNaughton somewhat.  I have concerns about his recovery pace:  he got caught out on the very early opening goal vs Cincy and could close down Cavallini on the winner today.  Other areas of his game have been fairly solid  however.

Agree on the lack of pace thing - it's a concern, and it was pretty evident on the goal.  It's not like Cavallini is slow, but he's certainly no burner either...

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

After watching the last two TFC matches, I am pumping the brakes on McNaughton somewhat.  I have concerns about his recovery pace:  he got caught out on the very early opening goal vs Cincy and could not close down Cavallini on the winner today.  Other areas of his game have been fairly solid  however.

MacNaughton’s biggest weakness is his lack of pace, and if he’s paired with another slow CB (O’Neill) he gets exposed constantly.

As for Waterman, he’s really grown into his role after looking like a weak link on the Montreal back line for quite a while. Great to see.

22 minutes ago, RS said:

MacNaughton’s biggest weakness is his lack of pace, and if he’s paired with another slow CB (O’Neill) he gets exposed constantly.

As for Waterman, he’s really grown into his role after looking like a weak link on the Montreal back line for quite a while. Great to see.

As reluctant I am to take this thread off topic, the kid Yao, on loan to Cavalry, is a real prospect IMO. Surprised they didn't keep him with the MLS team this season.

Edited by Ed_S

My biggest concern with McNaughton is his marking. He never seems to be ball side of the cross and is usually beaten to the ball because of this every single time. I don't find his pace to be that bad and he is really tight to defenders - it's just usually wrong positionally. Working on a few small things, he can be a very good defender.

46 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Joel Waterman still mneeds some small adjustments to his game to make it to the next level . Patience Everyone Hoefully he will gwt some Playing time in the Nations League 

One group of people pretty interesting in having him in the NT picture is the hierarchy at BC Soccer.  They are dying for a born and developed BC player to be in the squad for Qatar.

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

One group of people pretty interesting in having him in the NT picture is the hierarchy at BC Soccer.  They are dying for a born and developed BC player to be in the squad for Qatar.

I don't see any BC player making the World Cup squad but hopefully Waterman can get some minutes in upcoming friendlies or Nations League.  He's earned it in my opinion.

Edit: He would be the first player that was raised in BC.  This would be the first player to develop as a youth player in BC under Herdman's tenure as head coach.  As remarkable as that sounds!

As others mentioned, Alistair Johnston was born in BC but raised in Quebec and Ontario.

Edited by Corazon

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

I don't see any BC player making the World Cup squad but hopefully Waterman can get some minutes in upcoming friendlies or Nations League.  He's earned it in my opinion.

He would be the first born and raised BC player to feature under Herdman's tenure as head coach.  As remarkable as that sounds!

First BC born player to featured in  Herdman's squad if called. Wow Did not know that