Joel Waterman

nolando

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's important for people on this board to understand what is at stake. Because I think too many people are sleepwalking through the moment.

Anyways, @Obinna are you seriously making a comparison with someone doing cheap taunting of Muslims on the board and what I posted? But hey, if you and others want to push it'll come to shove, and everyone will lose.

Just saying I would take the tact of quickly moving on without the history lesson. I appreciate what you are trying to do, but it's more damaging in my opinion. If I were a new poster I would see your post as a negative. Even my own post is verging on the same thing the longer it gets, so I will digress now. Cheers

Common name or not, it's certainly a coincidence that a guy born a week after 911 has the same name as one of the hijackers. Years ago It would have been ok to mention a trivial fact like this, but right or wrong we're not allowed to anymore. If Kent had stopped at the fact, and not mention how the dude's parents may have been sensitive to the cause it probably wouldn't have garnered the same reaction. Anyway, I thought Joel played well last night.

23 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I would like to see him eventually get a shot at RCB with this team. Johnston won't be able to play every minute of every game and other then Henry we don't really have another obvious option without trying to convert a FB into it. 

I think Herdman likes Johnston at RCB because he can fluidly shift to a FB mid game. I don’t think Henry can do that, but Waterman probably can.

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Herdman likes Johnston at RCB because he can fluidly shift to a FB mid game. I don’t think Henry can do that, but Waterman probably can.

The same can be said about Kamal Miller on the left side.  The first half his Canadian caps came as a LB.  He played there in Orlando as well.  

When playing with a back 3, I think it's important to have those types of players for two reasons.  1) They can fluidly shift throughout a game & 2) The LCB & RCB role is really a cross between a outside back and center back.  Hence why you do not see players like Vitoria & Henry do well there.  While Kamal, Johnston & Kennedy can all play both positions (their skillsets allow for it).  You would not likely see players like Gutierrez, Laryea, Davies do well as a LCB or RCB role.  Whereas those types of outside backs can play further up as wingbacks.

You truly have outside backs that can play in a back 4 or in a more advanced wingback role and then you have a different type of outside back that can play in a back 4 and also slide into a back 3 formation.

Edited by Corazon

34 minutes ago, Corazon said:

The same can be said about Kamal Miller on the left side.  The first half his Canadian caps came as a LB.  He played there in Orlando as well.  

When playing with a back 3, I think it's important to have those types of players for two reasons.  1) They can fluidly shift throughout a game & 2) The LCB & RCB role is really a cross between a outside back and center back.  Hence why you do not see players like Vitoria & Henry do well there.  While Kamal, Johnston & Kennedy can all play both positions (their skillsets allow for it).  You would not likely see players like Gutierrez, Laryea, Davies do well as a LCB or RCB role.  Whereas those types of outside backs can play further up as wingbacks.

You truly have outside backs that can play in a back 4 or in a more advanced wingback role and then you have a different type of outside back that can play in a back 4 and also slide into a back 3 formation.

Yup, you nailed it. Players who can play both FB and CB are ideal for LCB or RCB. 

What makes Johnston interesting is because he never had much (any?) experience at CB previously, but he did play CM in League 1 Ontario and also in NCAA div 1.

Shows it's more about the players attributes than prior experience.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:30 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

This board almost was closed, and was within weeks of being denounced publicly in the press, due to the insistence of certain racist and white supremacist elements to use it to further their views. I know this first hand. We had whole fanatical threads on here, propagating white supremacist positions amongst fans purportedly supporting a racially, ethnically and religiously diverse national team programme.

I understand being 5 foot 7 could  make one such as yourself develop an inferiority complex when in the presence of more dominant males, and therefore makes you retreat into misguided political views based on feelings in lieu of facts. However, I can change that for you. I can bring you out of this constant state of despair that you live in. I know you're crying on the inside brother. Let me help you.

I will set you free.

Edited by Macksam

• 4 weeks later...

He is the CPL's first ever successful transfer to a noticeably better league, and since he's only relatively recently made the move from midfield to centre back he could still improve a lot. Hopefully he opens the door for other CPL to MLS moves, although I don't think American teams will sign CPL players if they barely sign USL players.

41 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

He is the CPL's first ever successful transfer to a noticeably better league, and since he's only relatively recently made the move from midfield to centre back he could still improve a lot. Hopefully he opens the door for other CPL to MLS moves, although I don't think American teams will sign CPL players if they barely sign USL players.

According to Transfermarkt 76 players have moved from USLC to MLS in the last two seasons, compared to CPL's 1 player. Though the incoming transfer fee for Waterman was higher than all of those USLC signings combined. Crazy

2 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

I would consider Pantemis the best MLS to CPL loan.

Pantemis is MLS quality.

There is a whack of CPLers could play MLS.

There is a whack of MLSers who ought not be in MLS.

The MLS dudes wear a lot of electronic gadgetry for metrics. Is there a politics analysis metric? you know, to explain why they are in MLS?

ps. apologies to the water man - another post of recent pages having ZERO to do with him but I have heard it said again and again that even bad publicity is good for one's ratings ...

MLS struggles with its evaluation of lower league talent and it’s promotion…

however, you’d better believe Houston is going to go back to USL given how good Pasher turned out, and believe me Montreal will go back to the Can PL given how Waterman turned out, others are going to follow. I’d imagine there’s interest in Sirois who’s literally been Valour’s team this year and is very much ready to play in MLS.

Bottom end clubs like Houston with no depth can certainly skim the cream off USL and put them to good use.  Expansion keeps creating more and more jobs for domestics at MLS level.  I am kind of amazed that no one has given Abzi or Farsi a flyer yet.  That younger type CPL stand out, like Waterman with potentially room to improve for a tiny investment from a MLS club should be a juicy target in the off season.  

29 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

however, you’d better believe Houston is going to go back to USL given how good Pasher turned out, and believe me Montreal will go back to the Can PL given how Waterman turned out, others are going to follow. I’d imagine there’s interest in Sirois who’s literally been Valour’s team this year and is very much ready to play in MLS.

Sirois has been fine. Pantemis last year was much better.

Andrew Jean-Baptiste was Valour's team this year as the lights basically went out on the season as soon as he was injured.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Karina Yao has been a beast at Cavalry while on loan from Montreal, so they wont even have to look too hard!

• 4 months later...