Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

Newfoundlander living out West here. I cannot recall ever laying eyes on a bag of milk. Don't know about the rest of Atlantic Canada, but I am pretty confident in saying that bagged milk has never been a thing on the island, at least as long as I have lived. 

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even knowing how unethically they treat those oat plants?

This entire thread has served to reaffirm my decision to not watch Celtic.

I'm not a vegan in any way, but for whatever reason, hearing my vegan friends talk about how milk is produced and what is done to it to get it to the quality you see in the grocery store majorly grossed me out, at least enough to not drink a glass of milk ever again- I still use dairy products aside from that. Also, I prefer the texture of oat milk to cow milk.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Back on topic. The reason milk was bagged was because when Canada went metric it would be too expensive for the milk companies to get new litre bottles instead of the quart bottles so some genius came up with the plastic bags. Tutuvm.

I believe this; thanks for the history lesson. Does anyone else find it weird that when you buy four litres of bagged milk you receive... three bags? Each bag is 1.33333 litres.

Wow, two pages of bagged milk discussion... we're starving for real football news.

55 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

I believe this; thanks for the history lesson. Does anyone else find it weird that when you buy four litres of bagged milk you receive... three bags? Each bag is 1.33333 litres.

Wow, two pages of bagged milk discussion... we're starving for real football news.

So back on topic again, growing up in BC I remember very well when the switch to bagged milk occurred, and the issues that ensued - by far the most important as I recall was the hard plastic bag holders - they worked pretty well when the milk bag was full, but as the milk bag drained and wilted, it would droop into the holder.  You would then have to pull it out and support it by hand or it would spray wildly or even fall out of the holder as you were pouring it.  Also, sharp scissors were needed to cut the bags. A ragged cut meant that when you went to pour the milk, it would spray out in some random pattern.  I never saw my mother so close to swearing as when my brother sprayed the milk all over our dinner plates while trying to pour himself a cup.

Thank you for the opportunity to share.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:56 PM, VinceA said:

Love this from Ali but personally after seeing milk jugs in the US I think that's probably the better way to go, especially as they're recyclabe.

It’s the container that gets the most contaminated, because it has to travel all the factory before the injectors and its hermetic environment, while other formats are opened in it.

Avoid it, you now have other options if you want milk with a cap.

Source : I worked in a milk factory, often found spiders in jugs

Edited by MauditYvon

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Word to the wise......in Australia, what we call a Corner Store in Canada, or a Bodega in the USA, is commonly referred to as a Milk Bar.

To me it is and always has been called a:

Dépanneur

That should tell you where my roots lie 🙂

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, GasPed said:

they worked pretty well when the milk bag was full, but as the milk bag drained and wilted, it would droop into the holder.  You would then have to pull it out and support it by hand or it would spray wildly or even fall out of the holder as you were pouring it.  Also, sharp scissors were needed to cut the bags. A ragged cut meant that when you went to pour the milk, it would spray out in some random pattern. 

#NotReallyTalkingAboutHisMilkBags

Yup, I remember the milk bags. I don't miss 'em one bit. (Mind you, I don't drink milk anymore, but my kids do.)  Am I right in thinking the bags were made of the same plastic used for Freezies? And, is there any chance I might yet grow breasts because I used to drink milk from plastic made from unknown polymers? 

5 hours ago, GasPed said:

they worked pretty well when the milk bag was full, but as the milk bag drained and wilted, it would droop into the holder.  You would then have to pull it out and support it by hand or it would spray wildly or even fall out of the holder as you were pouring it.  Also, sharp scissors were needed to cut the bags. A ragged cut meant that when you went to pour the milk, it would spray out in some random pattern.  I never saw my mother so close to swearing as when my brother sprayed the milk all over our dinner plates while trying to pour himself a cup.

Trick is: pour the bag into a glass container instead of using it from the plasitc bag once open.  Tastes better and pours better!  You're welcome!

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yup, I remember the milk bags. I don't miss 'em one bit. (Mind you, I don't drink milk anymore, but my kids do.)  Am I right in thinking the bags were made of the same plastic used for Freezies? And, is there any chance I might yet grow breasts because I used to drink milk from plastic made from unknown polymers? 

Dare to dream, Beaver. Dare to dream.

15 hours ago, GasPed said:

So back on topic again, growing up in BC I remember very well when the switch to bagged milk occurred, and the issues that ensued - by far the most important as I recall was the hard plastic bag holders - they worked pretty well when the milk bag was full, but as the milk bag drained and wilted, it would droop into the holder.  You would then have to pull it out and support it by hand or it would spray wildly or even fall out of the holder as you were pouring it.  Also, sharp scissors were needed to cut the bags. A ragged cut meant that when you went to pour the milk, it would spray out in some random pattern.  I never saw my mother so close to swearing as when my brother sprayed the milk all over our dinner plates while trying to pour himself a cup.

This really sounds like more of a user problem than a technology problem.

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

Newfoundlander living out West here. I cannot recall ever laying eyes on a bag of milk. Don't know about the rest of Atlantic Canada, but I am pretty confident in saying that bagged milk has never been a thing on the island, at least as long as I have lived. 

Definitely a thing in our Island.  People enjoyed it so much that many of the children look a lot like the local milkman.  

On 1/10/2023 at 5:17 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Word to the wise......in Australia, what we call a Corner Store in Canada, or a Bodega in the USA, is commonly referred to as a Milk Bar.

whenever I hear or read Milk Bar, I always immediately think in my head "Korova Milk Bar...milk with knives".  And shudder.