Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry for starting a redundant thread, couldn't find  this one although admittingly I didn't look hard for it. I'll be in Kansas City from the end of July to the end of September on a work placement but am trying to head early given that's where we are playing! Would love to meet up with any stateside Canada supporters if possible. 

The Caps play seven games in July, so unless the plan is for him, Crepeau (and others?) to leave right after the July 7 match (four days before Canada's tourney opener), that means those players will be missing at least three but likely a minimum four league games.  I realize their other MLS opponents during that stretch may be missing some key guys, too, but ouch!  The Caps' post season chances might virtually be over by August 1.

58 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The Caps play seven games in July, so unless the plan is for him, Crepeau (and others?) to leave right after the July 7 match (four days before Canada's tourney opener), that means those players will be missing at least three but likely a minimum four league games.  I realize their other MLS opponents during that stretch may be missing some key guys, too, but ouch!  The Caps' post season chances might virtually be over by August 1.

If Crepeau is starting and StClair is not, maybe they leave Crepeau alone and give any GC games to StClair??  Worse comes to worse, Hasal gets to show it wasnt a fluke last year.  

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If Crepeau is starting and StClair is not, maybe they leave Crepeau alone and give any GC games to StClair??  Worse comes to worse, Hasal gets to show it wasnt a fluke last year.  

It's weird, cause during the offseason, MDS specifically said Hasal and Crepeau would be splitting their games before the second transfer window, but Hasal hasn't even seen the field.

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It really is crazy that the Gold Cup isn’t played during a FIFA window with MLS shut down. Canadian teams will always be punished more harshly, and it kind of disincentivizes having Canadian NT players.

8 minutes ago, archer21 said:

It really is crazy that the Gold Cup isn’t played during a FIFA window with MLS shut down.

It usually is (and MLS usually shuts down for most of it), but with the pandemic forcing extra WCQ and Nations League matches into June it was always going to be a bad situation.

10 minutes ago, RS said:

It usually is (and MLS usually shuts down for most of it), but with the pandemic forcing extra WCQ and Nations League matches into June it was always going to be a bad situation.

If my memory is right, doesn’t the USA usually get a bunch of players at the start of knockout rounds? So presumably the MLS is still playing during the group stage?

Just now, archer21 said:

If my memory is right, doesn’t the USA usually get a bunch of players at the start of knockout rounds? So presumably the MLS is still playing during the group stage?

It's the reverse: MLS usually shuts down for the group stage and resumes during the knockouts.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

It's the reverse: MLS usually shuts down for the group stage and resumes during the knockouts.

So why would the US not have all their players to start? I remember Altidore and Dempsey I think joining mid way through 

1 minute ago, archer21 said:

So why would the US not have all their players to start? I remember Altidore and Dempsey I think joining mid way through 

Perhaps not to burden MLS DPs with extra games?

I went back and checked the 2017 season. The US played their quarterfinal vs. El Salvador on July 19, the same day TFC came back from a two-week break. Altidore, Bradley and Morrow all played for the US, while a TFC 'B' team tied NYCFC.

Altidore and Bradley were in the starting lineup for TFC on July 5 (two days before the GC started). Morrow was at the entire GC for the US.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since we need him for the upcoming 4 matches, and going forward, I seriously doubt that he will be called for the GC.

It does make sense to have cover for him, and competition, just for squad quality at VWC. 

I'm in agreement here.  

However, Metcalfe might get a chance to show his stuff again at this tourney like he did at the Olympic qualifiers and impress other suitors.

5 hours ago, archer21 said:

It really is crazy that the Gold Cup isn’t played during a FIFA window with MLS shut down. Canadian teams will always be punished more harshly, and it kind of disincentivizes having Canadian NT players.

Gold Cup is in a specifically designated FIFA window this year. MLS usually shuts down for Gold Cup group stage but has rightly prioritized shutting down for World Cup qualifiers in June.

Covid fixture congestion creating one-off issues everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Love your work. Glad you are back with the memes @Moldy9.

---

Reminder, since this thread got bumped anyways, the preliminary 60-man roster is due on Thursday. 

I think we're gonna see a lot of the undecided dual nats on the 60 man list, but it won't mean that they are coming. As deep as we are getting, naming 60 players (keep in mind a bunch of regular guys will probably not be there) is still a huge amount. Won't be surprised for some hit and hope action on that list.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Love your work. Glad you are back with the memes @Moldy9.

---

Reminder, since this thread got bumped anyways, the preliminary 60-man roster is due on Thursday. 

Does anyone know off-hand if these will be publicly released today or in the coming days?

To think it has been 21 years since Canada has won a Gold Cup. Just took it in. Our last Gold Cup was 21 years ago in 2000 and our closest finish was finishing 3rd. But can I see us realistically winning the Gold Cup? It is possible but I put us more in that dark horse category especially in CONCACAF when it comes to winning the Gold Cup. The obvious favorites of course being USA and Mexico.