Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

TBH, playing Haiti is something I look forward to.  From now on, I want to punish them for the GC result every single time we play them.  We shouldn’t lose to them.  We shouldn’t draw against them. We should beat them. Consistently.  

Haiti versus Canada feeling like our version of USA versus T&T.

Another thing. I may have pointed this out before, but with Haiti now qualifying for the Gold Cup, aren't they going to be stretched awful thin? We have far more depth than Haiti (at least I like to think so), and we are expecting to bring a B squad to the Gold Cup. They have the exact same schedule as us, pretty much. I am curious to see how that affects them, or how they intend to manage that. Maybe they bring their Olympic squad to Gold Cup?

Edit: Looks like I jumped the gun. They haven't qualified yet right? Seemed like they did to me based on how the conversation was going. Ah well, they will probably qualify anyways, so I won't delete this comment.

Edited by Obinna

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Another thing. I may have pointed this out before, but with Haiti now qualifying for the Gold Cup, aren't they going to be stretched awful thin? We have far more depth than Haiti (at least I like to think so), and we are expecting to bring a B squad to the Gold Cup. They have the exact same schedule as us, pretty much. I am curious to see how that affects them, or how they intend to manage that. Maybe they bring their Olympic squad to Gold Cup?

Edit: Looks like I jumped the gun. They haven't qualified yet right? Seemed like they did to me based on how the conversation was going. Ah well, they will probably qualify anyways, so I won't delete this comment.

You obviously didn’t see that Haitian club team the other night go toe to toe with the Liga Mex leaders Cruz Azul 0-0 lol they got ballers lol , but ya you would think if they sent a so called B side that even our B side should on paper do well against them let’s hope.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

For me personally, without VAR I can understand mistakes and I can forgive them. When there is VAR and a there is a bad call or a missed call it magnifies the frustration. That's another part of why I dislike it so much. But anyways, I'll leave it at that. I know I'm in the minority and I'll probably have to put up with years of tinkering and trying to improve the refereeing until it's good enough or I am used to it.

My suggestion has been: if you're going to review it, review it in "real time". No slow motion. No zooming in to the exact pixel. This catches any obvious mistakes but anything minor still gets left to the refs on field judgment. Plus, it prevents the 5 minute delays.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

My suggestion has been: if you're going to review it, review it in "real time". No slow motion. No zooming in to the exact pixel. This catches any obvious mistakes but anything minor still gets left to the refs on field judgment. Plus, it prevents the 5 minute delays.

Interesting suggestion. For me the problem is how granular they get on some of the calls. Offsides is a great example. If someone is offside by a micrometer and the ref missed it, is that clear and obvious? The clear and obvious standard gets subjectively applied as well, which I would argue is problematic. 

At the end of the day, I would separate issues of how VAR is applied from the idea of whether or not it should be applied.  Those are very different questions.  

I can reject the idea that it is being used correctly in some cases (like the millimetre offside call) while still accepting the significant value of over-turning glaringly incorrect decisions.  I am in the camp that sees human reffing errors as wholly negative and I will advocate for mechanisms to eliminate them - including VAR.  but that doesn’t mean that the implementation of VAR shouldn’t be subjected to scrutiny and fine tuned as we see how it impacts the flow of the game.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

I always thought for offsides in particular with VAR that if the linesman thinks it's offside he calls it and it's done and they only go back to check it if the linesman doesn't call it and the team scores. Sorta like how it is in the NHL at the moment. Probably not the best way to do it but I think it stops those situations where play continues and there becomes a risk of injury because the linesman isn't allowed to raise his flag until the play is done.

I have to wonder what kind of interest this event will get this year.   1). Its sandwiched in between the concacaf WCQ windows.  2). Its at the tail end of the euros 3). There are the olympics this summer 4). There are a multitude of other events, leagues and competitions that were postponed due to covid or forced to reschedule into the summer of 2021.  

the summer of 2021 is going to be a crowded calendar for sports events.   The Gold cup may just get overlooked.  Even by soccer followers.  Will it even be possible to get it on Television.

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I have to wonder what kind of interest this event will get this year.   1). Its sandwiched in between the concacaf WCQ windows.  2). Its at the tail end of the euros 3). There are the olympics this summer 4). There are a multitude of other events, leagues and competitions that were postponed due to covid or forced to reschedule into the summer of 2021.  

the summer of 2021 is going to be a crowded calendar for sports events.   The Gold cup may just get overlooked.  Even by soccer followers.  Will it even be possible to get it on Television.

The flip side is that the national team qualifiers give them a chance to drum up interest - and people may be more inclined to tune in than if there was nothing else bookending it.  I agree that competing with the Olympics is unfortunate but for the soccer aficionados I am not sure the other events will detract from interest.  

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I suspect if they lose to us in June in World Cup qualifying, they bring mostly their A squad for the Gold Cup as they won’t be playing competitive matches again for awhile. 

Same with us, if we lose to them, we will bring our A squad to the Gold Cup minus some veterans who wouldn’t be around for 26

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

OneSoccer has been Concacaf'ed. They'll be showing the Gold Cup. FS1/2 will show it in the US. Maybe some US matches on Fox?

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

From what you described then, Gold Cup will pretty much be the only thing to watch, other than the one-game Euro final on day 2, until Gold Cup group play is done when the Olympics start. MLS is breaking then as well, along with most other leagues in the world. Who knows when CPL will start.

Rate we are going, we'll still all be locked indoors as well.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:13 PM, SpecialK said:

Does that mean no more shady CONCACAF refs decisions?

On 4/7/2021 at 7:14 PM, kacbru said:

No, it means more shady CONCACAF refs decisions.

It looks like a record number of Jamaica refs have been selected.

https://www.loopjamaica.com/content/five-jamaican-officials-selected-2021-concacaf-gold-cup

Seeing as our group doesn't include Jamaica and is the only one without a (majority) Spanish speaking country in it, I say that our odds are pretty good that we will have at least one Jamaican ref for at least one Group Stage match.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

This is the reason why I come to this site:  hard hitting information that can be found nowhere else in Canada.

Totally off topic, but was that you rocking the Norway jersey on Queen Elizabeth Drive this morning? Not sure what to think about that big diagonal stripe...

(Not a stalker, honestly!)

4 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

Totally off topic, but was that you rocking the Norway jersey on Queen Elizabeth Drive this morning? Not sure what to think about that big diagonal stripe...

(Not a stalker, honestly!)

Ummm...yes it was.  From my last trip to Oslo.  Were you the one with the HFX Wanderers gear?  

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Ummm...yes it was.  From my last trip to Oslo.  Were you the one with the HFX Wanderers gear?  

Now thats super trippy.  What are the chances??  And you both spotted each other?? So if I put on my Celtic cap and scarf, with the Valour jersey and walk around downtown WPG, what are the chances I run into MrsC, Cheeta, Winnipeg Fury, T-Bison and Top cheese??  

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

No, just a random runner dude - a tall guy named Chris. We hung out a bit at Fury matches and at a Gold Cup match in Philly years ago. I should have stopped to say hi but didn't want to interrupt your conversation.

Anyway, nice to briefly see you. Back to the thread at hand...

13 hours ago, gigi riva said:

if it was up to me, The Gold Cup would be played every 4 years not two , 

It's not so much the 2 years, but the knock-on effect of one of those tournaments happening in the middle of something else that is a higher priority (WCQ).  

This an unpopular opinion but the 4 year cycle of the World Cup is a relic of the steamship era that nobody dares to step back and ask the question "do we still we need a 4 year gap in 21st century?"  With a 48 team World Cup and 24 team Euro there is no longer any need for these marathon qualifying campaigns over multiple years.  Things like Nations League,  friendlies and unnecessarily long qualifying campaigns are byproducts of the excessive amount of time between tournaments that need to be filled with something.  FIFA could move the World Cup and continental championships to a 3 year cycle and just cut down all of the filler in between (no nations league, no friendlies, massively scaled down qualifiers).  3 years is still a very long time so I don't buy the argument that it would hurt its relevance in any way.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan