Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Does a player have to consent to be added to this list or can CSA put whoever they want in the list? I.e. does this list mean that these players, if ultimately called, will attend? Seems unlikely with Arfield being included for example 

Edited by Floortom

Some (very) early thoughts: 

- I don’t know if this is basically a conservative wish list or if we have spoken to these guys.  I suspect it is the former but if it is the latter I would be over the moon.  Even if it is a wish list there is still some good stuff to be gleaned.  

- Akinola on our roster but not the US has to be a pretty damn solid indication.  Let’s hope this goes through.  

- similar to Ayo, Singh appears on our list and not T&T’s   Decision made?   If so, let’s get this guy on the field.

- The inclusion of some other duals is really interesting.  Jebbison and Flores are the two high profile guys.  Really curious if we see either.  

- No Dias is too bad, but in light of the other inclusions I am not am worried about it.  

- the young TFC contingent is good to see. Will be good for Nelson, Priso, and Okello (along with Ayo and Singh) to be in this context.  

- focusing on the lesser know or uncommitted young guns but the inclusion of Davies and David is interesting.  Maybe it is just out of an abundance of spots, but you would think that if we were settled on taking a B team we wouldn’t name those two.    Maybe Herdman agrees with me that the GC is the chance to prep for the Ocho.

- some other names that jumped out are Vilsaint and Elva.  Not sure what it signifies yet, but good to see the youth movement continue.  

Just now, Floortom said:

Does a player have to consent to be added to this list or can CSA put whoever they want in the list? I.e. does this list mean that of any of these players are called they will attend? Seems unlikely with Arfield being included for example 

Not sure, but I don't think we can name Messi. They'd have to be at least eligible for us, I am guessing. 

Just now, Floortom said:

Does a player have to consent to be added to this list or can CSA put whoever they want in the list? I.e. does this list mean that of any of these players are called they will attend? Seems unlikely with Arfield being included for example 

I think players can specifically tell the CSA they won’t be attending the Gold Cup if they’re added to the roster but I don’t think there’s any actual acceptance to the roster. In saying that if the CSA felt they had no chance at Jebbison and Flores they probably wouldn’t be included.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/concacaf-gold-cup-provisional-rosters-confirmed/

Junior Hoilett and Brym are the only two who are unattached.

I never knew Lille cut ties with him, but it's probably for the best. He wasn't getting anywhere near the first team and wasn't making any impact during his loans. He needs to drop a level and play regularly.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I never knew Lille cut ties with him, but it's probably for the best. He wasn't getting anywhere near the first team and wasn't making any impact during his loans. He needs to drop a level and play regularly.

Ferreira and Leutwiler are too.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ricardo Ferreira as well

Just now, king1010 said:

No Manjrekar James. He seems to have fallen really far. 

Yeah, that's just bizarre when you look at some of the other names. Even if he's far down the depth chart he played for the Danish champions and in the Greek first division.. played UCL ball and has WCQ and Gold Cup experience with us. How can he not be on a 60 man roster?

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah, that's just bizarre when you look at some of the other names. Even if he's far down the depth chart he played for the Danish champions and in the Greek first division.. played UCL ball and has WCQ and Gold Cup experience with us. How can he not be on a 60 man roster?

Yeah I find that weird too, should easily get a shout 

Disappointing not to see Manjrekar James. I suppose this signifies some sort of falling out, and unless he hits some undeniable form I doubt we see him again.

Adekugbe another player from WCQ not included in the side, although I suspect he indicated he wouldn't be coming. 

No CanPLer's even in the 60 if unfortunate. Although it would probably mean missing 60% of their season with the Canadian regulations on COVID, etc.

Just now, canadianbacons said:

No Adekube but I guess with being in season and a forthcoming transfer its not surprising. Will be good to see Gutierrez at LB and/or Miller/Cornelius at LCB. I have my doubts about Kennedy accepting this call.

Yeah, I assume Adekugbe is just a recognition of the club situation.  

And I missed the omission of James in my first pass but that one really is baffling.  There must be something behind it because he deserves to be listed on merit, so it has to be some sort of personality clash or something.  

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He started in a 1-1 draw vs. Atalanta in the UCL this season. It's got to be an off the field issue, as CB isn't a position where we can gloss over that pedigree.