Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

6 hours ago, SpecialK said:

According to Wikipedia the final round will start June 21 2021. So If Canada makes it they will all play just before the gold cup. So we would be all in the same boat. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

With the start being delayed again until March the oct won’t start until September 2021. That is unless something changes between now and then.

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

According to Wikipedia the final round will start June 21 2021. So If Canada makes it they will all play just before the gold cup. So we would be all in the same boat. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

So round 1/March: a four game match window.

Round 2/ Date unknown: a two game match window.

Skip to Round 3/June: the first of 14 matches will be played.

and then GC in July!

Messy. Don’t think Round 3 will start in June.

I really feel they should push  the Gold Cup back to 2022.  They would get first choice squads and the prep for the world Cup would bring extra attention from media and fans. 

A tournament with B and C squads in a packed summer really devalues the tournament

Edit: There's also no guarantee of full stadiums in 2021.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

23 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I really feel they should push  the Gold Cup back to 2022.  They would get first choice squads and the prep for the world Cup would bring extra attention from media and fans. 

A tournament with B and C squads in a packed summer really devalues the tournament

Edit: There's also no guarantee of full stadiums in 2021.  

They may be forced to anyways. With this window being used for WCQ

If they hosted in States like Texas, Florida and Arizona they may be able to open at full capacity. Less venues but more gate revenue perhaps. No point in playing in places like New York and Los Angeles if they'll be no fans in attendance. You could put each group in a city and limit the travel for the players.

Edited by Obinna

• 6 months later...

Like it or hate it at least when a ball crosses the line they can go to VAR and see if it was a goal or not . Moreover, at least they can have a look at controversial calls like the famous offside call against the US in that famous Gold Cup game , it doesn’t mean they will get it right even after they look at it but at least they have the option to go look at it .The worst feeling is when there is no VAR you know they can’t go have a look at it again because there is no VAR.

Edited by SoccMan

If it is like VAR in South American WC qualifying, the ref will be going to the video screen 3-4 times during a match to confirm his decision (after waiting for a while for VAR to tell him to go the screen).

And the ref is going to take double the screen time an European ref does. Likewise, for VAR on offsides, it will take longer.

And don't expect the right decision to be made 25% of the time. 

Edited by red card

18 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Like it or hate it at least when a ball crosses the line they can go to VAR and see if it was a goal or not . Moreover, at least they can have a look at controversial calls like the famous offside call against the US in that famous Gold Cup game , it doesn’t mean they will get it right even after they look at it but at least they have the option to go look at it .The worst feeling is when there is no VAR you know they can’t go have a look at it again because there is no VAR.

No, the worst feeling is when a goal is scored and you aren't sure if you should cheer or not because there IS VAR in that game. VAR doesn't increase the game watching experience. It's more disjointed, refs don't make calls that they should because they want to let the play happen just in case they are wrong, and the stuff they are reviewing are either too ridiculously accurate (like offside) without any meaningful benefit, or it's subjective and half the people are going to hate the call one way or the other.

I hate it so much. It's seen as progress but do people actually like watching games more now than they did before? Or is it the same as before? Or worse? For me it's worse.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

No, the worst feeling is when a goal is scored and you aren't sure if you should cheer or not because there IS VAR in that game. VAR doesn't increase the game watching experience.

Surely one should cheer louder - don't want the ref to hear a muted response.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

I hate it so much. It's seen as progress but do people actually like watching games more now than they did before? Or is it the same as before? Or worse? For me it's worse.

VAR does seem like it sucks the life out of the game. But for me, as someone who despises the personal aspect that can influence refereeing- it reduces that nature of human error where in the past a lot of pivotal moments in football history would definitely not happened due to VAR.

its definitely annoying when you see the centimetres lines being drawn for offside, but for me... if it’s consistent then great - if not, it’s problems. 

However in the current state, I think that’s the only issue. The rest is a revelation in stamping out the dark arts of football. It removes players being sacrificial in games, knowing they can immediately get away with it then, influence the outcome of the game and face retroactive punishment later.

So for me I can’t wait for it to be implemented, because it will reduce alot of the Latin American dirty tactics that they would typically get away with. 

Edited by Shway

8 hours ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Canada v. Honduras WCQ 2004...

I'll forever after be Pro VAR

I remember mark watson slipping which resulted in Amado Guevara getting a penalty at the death.

Edited by Alex

For me personally, without VAR I can understand mistakes and I can forgive them. When there is VAR and a there is a bad call or a missed call it magnifies the frustration. That's another part of why I dislike it so much. But anyways, I'll leave it at that. I know I'm in the minority and I'll probably have to put up with years of tinkering and trying to improve the refereeing until it's good enough or I am used to it.

47 minutes ago, Kent said:

For me personally, without VAR I can understand mistakes and I can forgive them. When there is VAR and a there is a bad call or a missed call it magnifies the frustration. That's another part of why I dislike it so much. But anyways, I'll leave it at that. I know I'm in the minority and I'll probably have to put up with years of tinkering and trying to improve the refereeing until it's good enough or I am used to it.

Like I keep saying in a sport like soccer where you get all the time waisting, the diving , where usually one or two goals a game are the norm it’s probably the one sport out of all sports that needs VAR I’m sorry . Yes the idiots can still get it wrong after a review but at least it was looked at. The worst feeling when your watching your team play without VAR is when say a player was clearly offside for example and the goal stands because there is no VAR and the game is decided on that one goal. Just the fact that the ref has no way of looking at the play again even if they wanted to is frustrating to me without VAR. Imagine if there was VAR in that famous Gold Cup game against the US back in the day , you might want to ask Atiba Hutchinson if his thinks VAR would have helped in that game ? I’m pretty sure our goal would have stood and who knows what effect if we go on and win that game it might have had on our National team fortunes after that ? Ya I get it sure you don’t have to use it for every little call I get that but knowing it’s there for the big calls is a good thing if used properly.

Edited by SoccMan

19 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Looks like we get Haiti (again) in our group.

Perfect, another-notha' shot at redemption(GC 19&COQ 21) for some of the boys that would be on this GC team.

I did notice that Haiti will have a crazy amount of fixtures before/if they reach the Gold Cup proper.

R1 WCQ's: June 5th & 8th
R2 WCQ potential; June 12th & 15th
GC Play-In: July 2nd & 6th

6 international games in 6 days. Before a possible additional of 3 more. 

This could be a gift and a curse. 

Edited by Shway

22 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

It seems every Gold Cup we get grouped with one of the "Non-FIFA" teams and miss out on chances to get (or lose) FIFA Ranking points.  Martinique this time but its been Guadeloupe in the past as well.

In the 4 times we've been grouped with non-FIFA teams since 2007 we've won 2 and lost 2. So it evens out 😂.