Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

And besides, if the whole reason why we need to have the Gold Cup in the USA every time, and have the tournament every 2 years instead of every 4 years is because the confederation needs more cash, then wouldn't saving money on travel make sense too? Why go through the expense of flying every team across the country when they could just sit put for the group stage?

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don't think there will be thousands of fans travelling, but you would think it must be some amount more than when you need a plane ticket per match. Giving an example of how bad attendance has been in the past doesn't exactly disprove his point that the old way was a big barrier to fans getting to games.

I've been to away matches supporting Canada. There were very few of us. Our sections were very modest. We are often in terrible minority. We are not talking about a lot of people. 

You just forget this on this board. The effort, the enthusiasm, and then the travel. I was at a match for the Women's WC in France. Those of us setting up for a section on the end had to move to get away from the overwhelming and very loud group dancing and singing in favour of Cameroon. Then, over in a corner where security tried to tell us we could not be, a group of French school girls from a local team came to help us out with the chants, because they must have thought it would be fun. 

Or maybe they pitied us. 

20 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For those who are based in the USA, (or those who have the time to quarantine for 14 days upon returning to Canada) tickets for the Gold Cup are now on sale:

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2021/05/20/tickets-sale-now-2021-concacaf-gold-cup-matches-childrens-mercy-park

I feel a bit like a young boy in 1980s East Germany dreaming of Coca Cola, Levis jeans, MTV & David Hasselhoff 

On 5/20/2021 at 5:31 PM, SpursFlu said:

I feel a bit like a young boy in 1980s East Germany dreaming of Coca Cola, Levis jeans, MTV & David Hasselhoff 

Now that I can relate to...I went to East Germany in the summer of 1980 for my cousin's wedding...such a culture shock but at the same time so amazing. And yes Levis jeans and oranges were a much sought after commodity. Sorry...having a flashback 😄.

What I'm thinking for the GC:

Buchanan - Larin - Corbeanu 

Eustaquio - Piette - Osorio

Gutierrez (Johnston) - Miller - Cornelius - Brault-Guillard 

After winning the first two matches, we should utilize the bench and field a completely new starting eleven to cap tie guys like Mitrovic, Flores, Lucas Dias for the final game against the USA, don't care if we lose. I'm actually looking forward to a semi final match against Mexico.

The style of play? Think 2005-06 Mourinho Era Chelsea, a hard tackling, hard working midfield closes down opposition fast and bangs it to our creative speedy wingers who just constantly feed Larin.

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

What I'm thinking for the GC:

Buchanan - Larin - Corbeanu 

Eustaquio - Piette - Osorio

Gutierrez (Johnston) - Miller - Cornelius - Brault-Guillard 

After winning the first two matches, we should utilize the bench and field a completely new starting eleven to cap tie guys like Mitrovic, Flores, Lucas Dias for the final game against the USA, don't care if we lose. I'm actually looking forward to a semi final match against Mexico.

The style of play? Think 2005-06 Mourinho Era Chelsea, a hard tackling, hard working midfield closes down opposition fast and bangs it to our creative speedy wingers who just constantly feed Larin.

I actually like your starting 11 a lot for the GC but my starting 11 would be a little different from yours because rather than a 4-3-3 I went 4-2-3-1 and in a 4-2-3-1 this is where my lineup would differ from yours

(4-2-3-1)

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe

CB- Vitoria

CB- Miller

RB- Laryea

DM- Eustaquio

DM- Piette

LCM- Davies

CAM- Corbeanu

RCM- David

CF- Larin (up front)

You guys have a very different view on what the GC squad will be than I do. This is what I figure we're gonna see

St. Clair

ZBG            Waterman       Sturing   Gutierrez

Balidismo      Priso

Osorio (injury issues means he's not with June)       

Pasher                Akindele            Shaffelburg

Full on B team to give the main guys a rest after a long season. I could see MLS guys in both camps but I imagine coaches wouldn't be thrilled. Euro guys need some rest.

If Arfield wants to be part of this team as a trade-off for resting in June then that's fine. Would love CPL guys in this team but they would need to at the very least be in deep pre-season by this point. Bustos, Borges, Didic and a GK would be nice to see.          

Pasher-Akindele-Buchanan

Wotherspoon-Baldisimo-Paton

Bassong-Cornelius-Ferreira-ZBG

St. Clair

Rsv: Godinho, Sturing, Waterman, Cordova, Twardek

Teibert, Priso, Okello

Elva, Corbeanu, Millar, Shaffelburg

That's assuming very little overlap / no dual nats. 

I’m going young, preparing the depth for the future...while giving some guys a chance to stake their claim for WCQ. 

GK: St. Clair, Pantemis, Hasal
DF: Cornelius, Miller, ZBG, Kennedy, Johnston, Godinho, Gutierrez,  Sturing, Edwards
MF: Eustaquio, Paton, Baldisimo, Priso, Okello, Dias, Fraser, Flores*  
FW: Akindele, Buchanan, Elva, Millar, Corbeanu, Shaffelburg, Pasher, Davies, David, Jebbison*, Akinola*, 

———
Starting XI:
GK: St. Clair
RB: ZBG
RCB: Kennedy (Sturing)
LCB: Cornelius 
LB: Gutierrez 
CDM: Eustaquio (Baldisimo)
CM: Paton
CM: Priso
RW: Buchanan
ST: David (Akindele)
LW: Davies (Millar)

Theo Corbeanu should be nowhere near the Gold Cup tournament. If he's required for WCQ, call him up in June. However, Herdman should recognize the benefits to the Canadian program of Theo being fit and hungry on Day 1 of Wolves' pre-season training, ready to prove his worth to the new manager. If he's at the Gold Cup rather than Wolves' pre-season in July, his chances of being a Premier League player for the 2021-22 season will be minimal.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

I’m going young, preparing the depth for the future...while giving some guys a chance to stake their claim for WCQ. 

GK: St. Clair, Pantemis, Hasal
DF: Cornelius, Miller, ZBG, Kennedy, Johnston, Godinho, Gutierrez,  Sturing, Edwards
MF: Eustaquio, Paton, Baldisimo, Priso, Okello, Dias, Fraser, Flores*  
FW: Akindele, Buchanan, Elva, Millar, Corbeanu, Shaffelburg, Pasher, Davies, David, Jebbison*, Akinola*, 

———
Starting XI:
GK: St. Clair
RB: ZBG
RCB: Kennedy (Sturing)
LCB: Cornelius 
LB: Gutierrez 
CDM: Eustaquio (Baldisimo)
CM: Paton
CM: Priso
RW: Buchanan
ST: David (Akindele)
LW: Davies (Millar)

Personally a Final 23 that I would not mind seeing

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Theo Corbeanu should be nowhere near the Gold Cup tournament. If he's required for WCQ, call him up in June. However, Herdman should recognize the benefits to the Canadian program of Theo being fit and hungry on Day 1 of Wolves' pre-season training, ready to prove his worth to the new manager. If he's at the Gold Cup rather than Wolves' pre-season in July, his chances of being a Premier League player for the 2021-22 season will be minimal.

While I agree with what your saying.

This could be said about a lot of players and their club situations. Millar, Buchanan, Paton, to name a few.

It all depends on what we see this week with the WCQ roster though. With David back, I just can’t see him or Millar making any substantial appearances unless it’s in the first game. Davies, David, Larin, Hoilett, Cavallini will have the bulk of the minutes in the attack. 

13 minutes ago, jordan said:

I wonder if calling Gloire Amanda is an option after the season he had.

Larin came straight from College into the Mens team, although we were in dire straights in 2014.  Its going to be a busy summer, why not get some new guys involved since we'll actually have some chances for them to play.  

I'm going to take a crack at this... Assuming that managing club situations means very little overlap between WCQ and Gold Cup, it is going to be a mostly B roster. With only guys who aren't playing many club minutes getting in as sort of an audition for clubs and some vet leadership. 

GK: St. Clair, Pantemis, Carducci 

DF:  ZBG, Cordova, Kennedy, Sturing, Ricardo Ferreira, James, Bassong

MF: Osorio, Teibert, Baldisimo, Priso, Mitrovic, Bekker, (1 of Serigio Camargo or Elijah Adekugbe) 

FW: Buchannan, Akindele, Shaffelburg, Bustos, Kamron Habibullah, Ricketts

So the thinking here is that we can't have a squad made up of all kids, and realistically no player is going to play in both squads.

For keepers I think the first two pick themselves, and Carducci brought in because I'd rather have Hasal stay at club.

Defenders I think ZBG is a lock for starter, Kennedy brought in as a new guy, Sturing and Ferreira only have one cap, James back in and Bassong is on the left. Cordova back in, can play either side. Not a lot of caps here but a lot of pro games. 

Midfield is pretty vet heavy as I think we need structure here. Oso assuming he's not with the WCQ squad through injury. RT has GC experience and is playing at club. Baldi, Priso, Mitrovic are the young guys here and I think one of them are pencilled in as a starter. Bekker has been elite for two years in CPL, knows a lot of the guys and is a leader and winner now, bring him back in for a tourney one last time. Last midfield spot I would through out as a reward for CPL guys, I think Adekugbe or Camargo depending on if you want an attacker or a deep lying guy here. 

Forward is pretty young. Buchannan is our main threat here and a locked in starter. Akindele and Shaff have had strong seasons so far and i think they're your other starters. Bustos has been rumoured for this squad for a while and was elite at Island Games as a winger. Habibullah I think has an X factor the squad could use, and could be this years GC breakout star (seems to be a Canadian tradition at this point). Ricketts was last man in here, can play CF if when Akindele needs a rest and he is one of our countrys top scorers, one last ride for Ricketts. 

Obviously this leaves guys like Fraser, Nelson, Bair, Okello etc off the roster, but I think it is a pretty crucial time at club level for these guys. They have a real opportunity to get starts while others at their positions are off for gold cup duty. The only pick here I'm questioning is the Camargo/Adekugbe pick, and not bringing in a guy like Luke Singh to cinically cap tie him. But I'd like to see what this group could do and think the mix is right.