Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

For me, the starters/stars have been basically playing together since the beginning of WCQ. They know each other and they are good to go. It’s that’s 2nd unit and depth players that need playing time and playing in the systems Herdman wants to play. Also to test the depth we have. Who steps up if one our stars can’t play one of the WQC games? There is ALOT of football going to be played Club and International. This is gonna take 30-50 players. I don’t think people really realize how much football is going to be played plus they best Squad needs to be ready for World Cup 2022, it basically gonna comes down to the wire. 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, RS said:

I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but my understand of the FIFA match calendar is that there are zero dates earmarked for friendlies between now and August 30. 

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/men-s-international-match-calendar-2020-2024.pdf?cloudid=cd3qpcttmbbjowbso2tz

I got my list from wikipedia showing all the international match calendars left from here to September.  The next big match calendar is early July / August when the African Nations Cup, Asian Cup I believe start.  Those are considered international dates to book friendlies too by FIFA by othet nations before WCQ begins in CONCACAF.  

3 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I got my list from wikipedia showing all the international match calendars left from here to September.  The next big match calendar is early July / August when the African Nations Cup, Asian Cup I believe start.  Those are considered international dates to book friendlies too by FIFA by othet nations before WCQ begins in CONCACAF.  

Ok, well the official document I posted from FIFA shows no such thing. The three continental championships this summer are the Euro, Copa America and the Gold Cup (African Nations Cup is in January). The only friendlies happening (or already happened, in the case of Europa and S. America) are in preparation for those tournaments.

11 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

You can book friendlies any time but clubs are under no obligation to release players if you are outside the 5 match windows a year: early spring (March), late spring (May or June), late summer (August or September), autumn (October and November.)

Just because another confederation is doing a tournament, does not mean you have a window for friendlies. 

Has been my understanding.  

6 minutes ago, RS said:

Ok, well the official document I posted from FIFA shows no such thing. The three continental championships this summer are the Euro, Copa America and the Gold Cup (African Nations Cup is in January). The only friendlies happening (or already happened, in the case of Europa and S. America) are in preparation for those tournaments.

Yeah I just checked FIFA.  The African Nations Cup was originally scheduled for late June / July 2021 but got pushed to Jan - Feb 2022.  There goes that friendlies date.  Its looking like no FIFA matched till September like u said, and by then WCQ will begin.  Odd that Canada qualified anf can’t schuedule friendlies.  Still think they should try new things and mix it up in the Gold Cup

9 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Yeah I just checked FIFA.  The African Nations Cup was originally scheduled for late June / July 2021 but got pushed to Jan - Feb 2022.  There goes that friendlies date.  Its looking like no FIFA matched till September like u said, and by then WCQ will begin.  Odd that Canada qualified anf can’t schuedule friendlies.  Still think they should try new things and mix it up in the Gold Cup

I would say again, even if there were an African Nations Cup, that would not mean FIFA sanctioned friendly dates for us.  There is currently a FIFA window for UEFA nations involved in the Euros, that doesn't change anything for us ether. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 6/15/2021 at 9:27 AM, Obinna said:

Assuming a domestic squad for Gold Cup, my expectations are semi-finals. On the surface that may be expecting too much, but hear me out: 1) other teams are bringing B teams. 2) we have the best depth we have ever had. 3) we need to expect semi-final finishes in this tournament regularly if we want to be the 3rd best team in concacaf 4) failing to reach the semis, again, would not be a progression, it would be a stagnation.

Haven't looked at the bracket in a while, but if I recall correctly we can possibly play Qatar in the semis if we beat USA to win the group. Otherwise it's likely a semi against Mexico. We'd have to beat someone like Jamaica or Costa Rica to get to that point though, maybe even Suriname if they can sneak ahead of either. Again though, these are teams we need to beat regularly in the big games anyways, might as well set the tone for the Octagaon. 

I agree with you. Canada should have a B team and for the most part, we do have depth within our national team but with our youth, I just wanna see how we do.

Based on Herdman's interview on OneSoccer last night it sounds like we're taking an "A" squad. He didn't outright say it but lots of talk about getting games together .. mentioned that we didn't get many friendlies and we've been playing low tier teams. 

I could still see us missing David and Davies though. In the roles they play and with their quality I'm not overly concerned with them missing this and it adversely affecting us come WCQ.