Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

On the plus side, it looks like this Gold Cup should have less travel than other years due to where the stadiums are located (6 in Texas alone). On the negative side, it could be blazingly hot, all the stadiums are in the south (except the Kansas one I guess? Not sure what their summer is like but I guess they are considered mid-west).

1 hour ago, Kent said:

On the plus side, it looks like this Gold Cup should have less travel than other years due to where the stadiums are located (6 in Texas alone). On the negative side, it could be blazingly hot, all the stadiums are in the south (except the Kansas one I guess? Not sure what their summer is like but I guess they are considered mid-west).

Or cold...remember Mother Nature has had her way in Texas.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Has she in mid July/Early August though?

I have family who’ve lived in Houston their entire lives, and they’ve never experienced in their 60 years what they did a few months ago.

Nevertheless that’s hoping, because it is grossly dessert hot in the summer.

15 hours ago, Kent said:

On the plus side, it looks like this Gold Cup should have less travel than other years due to where the stadiums are located (6 in Texas alone). On the negative side, it could be blazingly hot, all the stadiums are in the south

I think there will be evening kickoff times and it won't be above 28°C.

The more I think about it, the more likely I feel that our first two group stage matches will be in Austin and the 3rd match will be in Frisco or Houston.

Essentially, they may put the entire group stage for all teams in Texas.

Quarter finals in Kansas.

I like them having venues closer together overall this tournament than in the past. I know it's mostly due to COVID but I hope they keep that model in future tournaments. I don't see this tournament being primarily hosted by anyone outside the USA, so might as well try to regionalize it each time and give each tournament a different feel in that way - we all know they have enough usable stadiums. It would also cut down on travel time. The sticking point for CONCACAF is they're probably going to want regular games in SoCal and Texas for Mexico and possibly also Florida for C.A./Carribean

The teams know their schedules and venues (even though it hasn't been announced by CONCACAF to the public yet).

Honduras leaked that they will play their Group Stage matches in Houston. Both at BBVA and the big NRG Stadium.

https://www.elheraldo.hn/deportes/1460238-466/honduras-partidos-copa-oro-2021-houston-seleccion

I feel this makes it even more likely that we will play games in Austin.

EDIT:

And Honduras will play a friendly vs Mexico on June 12th in Atlanta.

https://miseleccion.mx/noticias/3437/La%20SNM%20se%20enfrentar%C3%A1%20a%20Honduras

(I would imagine both squads would have a "U24+3overage" focus, but won't actually say as much for marketing reasons.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, DavemTFC said:

I like them having venues closer together overall this tournament than in the past. I know it's mostly due to COVID but I hope they keep that model in future tournaments. I don't see this tournament being primarily hosted by anyone outside the USA, so might as well try to regionalize it each time and give each tournament a different feel in that way - we all know they have enough usable stadiums. It would also cut down on travel time. The sticking point for CONCACAF is they're probably going to want regular games in SoCal and Texas for Mexico and possibly also Florida for C.A./Carribean

I mean if they want the Gold Cup to truly be an event like the World Cup, EUROS or Copa America then they need different hosts every tournament. Rather than the same host over and over again. I just like the variety of hosts because it makes things better. But that is just me.

However, Gold Cup 2021 being in the USA makes sense I guess.

That being said, I wonder if Gold Cup 2021 if we don't end up seeing new faces in Canada's 23 man squad? I surely won't be surprised if it happens

17 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I mean if they want the Gold Cup to truly be an event like the World Cup, EUROS or Copa America then they need different hosts every tournament. Rather than the same host over and over again. I just like the variety of hosts because it makes things better. But that is just me.

However, Gold Cup 2021 being in the USA makes sense I guess.

That being said, I wonder if Gold Cup 2021 if we don't end up seeing new faces in Canada's 23 man squad? I surely won't be surprised if it happens

they’d need to make it every 4 years too but that would slash its revenue a lot and I believe those funds go to the minnows too? Its a tough decision

4 hours ago, ADP10 said:

they’d need to make it every 4 years too but that would slash its revenue a lot and I believe those funds go to the minnows too? Its a tough decision

I love the fact that GC is every 2 years as it's about the only meaningful games that the CMNT plays, considering we haven't made the Hex forever. Now that our quality has improved combined with a better WCQ format perhaps every 4 years is the way to go.

4 hours ago, ADP10 said:

Make it every 4 years but use the gap to have an America's Super Cup every 4. N & S America 

Starting in June my life enjoyment meter will enhance significantly. Lots of cmnt with fans in stands, euros with fans in stands. When im not at the lake ill be watching footie. Brilliant 

I think the Gold Cup roster will feature some youngsters, fringe guys and potential cap tie duals. Should be interesting 

Edited by SpursFlu

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Make it every 4 years but use the gap to have an America's Super Cup every 4. N & S America 

Agreed. That would be the best idea. 

16 minutes ago, johnyb said:

perhaps every 4 years is the way to go.

5 hours ago, ADP10 said:

Not until we make the Hex or the Oct several cycles in a row.

I'd like it to be every 4 years. We've got the Nations League plus a bit for Gold Cup qualifying to fill the gap. And yes, definitely move it around. Have a Gold Cup hosted in Central America, have one hosted in Mexico, have one hosted in Canada. This would grow the game in the region. And yes, I do believe that having a Gold Cup in Mexico would grow the game. With it always in the USA you are giving the USA a big advantage over other countries and perpetuating the big 2 in the region. Have it in Mexico and the scales might tip a bit more in favour of Central American teams in relation to USA. Mexico would almost certainly win, but you might get Costa Rica or Panama upsetting USA in a knockout round match. It would also give us more experience in that sub region, hopefully helping us in World Cup qualifiers. If you want people to care about the competition, don't hold it so often that you have fan bases talking about sending a B team to the tournament sometimes, like we are now.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:56 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Saturday July 24th - QF 
Sunday, July 25th - QF 

Rest day: July 26th

Tuesday, July 27th - SF 
Wednesday, July 28th - SF

Rest days: July 29th, July 30th & July 31st

The latest rumour is that Austin will host a quarter-final doubleheader and that one semi-final will be at AT&T Stadium in Arlington and the other at NRG Stadium in Houston and that both semifinals are to be played on the same date, on Thursday, July 29th.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/gold-cup-quarterfinals-coming-to-austins-q2-stadium-the-striker-texas-sources-say/

It looks like the full Gold Cup schedule will drop later today or tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

I'd like it to be every 4 years. We've got the Nations League plus a bit for Gold Cup qualifying to fill the gap. And yes, definitely move it around. Have a Gold Cup hosted in Central America, have one hosted in Mexico, have one hosted in Canada. This would grow the game in the region. And yes, I do believe that having a Gold Cup in Mexico would grow the game. With it always in the USA you are giving the USA a big advantage over other countries and perpetuating the big 2 in the region. Have it in Mexico and the scales might tip a bit more in favour of Central American teams in relation to USA. Mexico would almost certainly win, but you might get Costa Rica or Panama upsetting USA in a knockout round match. It would also give us more experience in that sub region, hopefully helping us in World Cup qualifiers. If you want people to care about the competition, don't hold it so often that you have fan bases talking about sending a B team to the tournament sometimes, like we are now.

Like exactly what I'm saying is you give countries like Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama, Honduras, etc a chance to host future Gold Cups

And instead of every 2 years, it is every 4 years

Quick assessment of the tops 6 teams at the Gold Cup (excluding Canada):

Mexico - B-/C: Competing in the nations league finals in June and their U24 team will be going to the Olympics around the same time frame as the Gold Cup. I expect a lot of "no-names" but Mexico is always Mexico.

USA - B- : They are also competing in the nations league finals in June. Their coach has stated that he won't be sending guys to both competitions, and have prioritized the Nations League final. The Gold Cup also takes place during MLS regular season (no break) so some guys may not be released. Meaning we will see a lot of their fringe guys, and young guys. I expect their team to be very young. 

Jamaica - A+ : I expect Jamaica to have their best team possible. They have brought in 10+ new faces within the past year, and are bringing in more. They have 2 friendlies in June, and will most likely be taking a look at the guys who missed out in March, and the new faces before solidifying their best team for the Gold Cup, while using the tournament as preparation for WCQ in September. I have them as sneak favourites to win the tournament.

Honduras - B-/C: Like Mexico they are in three competitions. Nations League finals, Tokyo Olympics and the Gold Cup. I expect that the Gold Cup will be the least priority, and some of their key guys will do the double for competitions, but not at the Gold Cup. I expect this squad to look heavily domestic influenced.

Costa Rica - A: This team has been on a decline. They haven't won a match in 7 games, and go into their 8th match playing the giants Mexico in the Nations League Finals. Haven't heard much about what they will be doing to mitigate the multiple competitions issues, but even if they bring their A squad to both tournaments it will solely be for the purpose of preparation for WCQ in September. They have a lot to gain, and nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Quick assessment of the tops 6 teams at the Gold Cup (excluding Canada):

Mexico - B-/C: Competing in the nations league finals in June and their U24 team will be going to the Olympics around the same time frame as the Gold Cup. I expect a lot of "no-names" but Mexico is always Mexico.

USA - B- : They are also competing in the nations league finals in June. Their coach has stated that he won't be sending guys to both competitions, and have prioritized the Nations League final. The Gold Cup also takes place during MLS regular season (no break) so some guys may not be released. Meaning we will see a lot of their fringe guys, and young guys. I expect their team to be very young. 

Jamaica - A+ : I expect Jamaica to have their best team possible. They have brought in 10+ new faces within the past year, and are bringing in more. They have 2 friendlies in June, and will most likely be taking a look at the guys who missed out in March, and the new faces before solidifying their best team for the Gold Cup, while using the tournament as preparation for WCQ in September. I have them as sneak favourites to win the tournament.

Honduras - B-/C: Like Mexico they are in three competitions. Nations League finals, Tokyo Olympics and the Gold Cup. I expect that the Gold Cup will be the least priority, and some of their key guys will do the double for competitions, but not at the Gold Cup. I expect this squad to look heavily domestic influenced.

Costa Rica - A: This team has been on a decline. They haven't won a match in 7 games, and go into their 8th match playing the giants Mexico in the Nations League Finals. Haven't heard much about what they will be doing to mitigate the multiple competitions issues, but even if they bring their A squad to both tournaments it will solely be for the purpose of preparation for WCQ in September. They have a lot to gain, and nothing to lose.

Jamaica 🇯🇲 look like a real dark horse for 2021 but then other countries you can't underestimate like Suriname, Curacao or even World Cup hosts Qatar who have been invited

I hope they keep this format for future Gold Cups where the group stage matches are in the same city. Even if you could only go for the group stage, it would be so much nicer to spend a week in the same city and catch 3 CanMNT matches. The thought of 3 different flights and hotels just for the group stage doesn't appeal to me.

We know how much of a driving force $ is from this tournament. You'd think it would also mean slightly more profit for CONCACAF from ticket sales if you kept teams in the same city. The opening round isn't usually that well attended, but maybe it's partly because fans have to go through this Amazing Race style of flights to follow their country for 3 matches. Put a country's 3 group stage matches in the same city and you'd probably have more fans making the trip from each country (and buying more tickets) because they'd get to see 3 of their country's matches in the same location.

3 hours ago, jtpc said:

I hope they keep this format for future Gold Cups where the group stage matches are in the same city. Even if you could only go for the group stage, it would be so much nicer to spend a week in the same city and catch 3 CanMNT matches. The thought of 3 different flights and hotels just for the group stage doesn't appeal to me.

We know how much of a driving force $ is from this tournament. You'd think it would also mean slightly more profit for CONCACAF from ticket sales if you kept teams in the same city. The opening round isn't usually that well attended, but maybe it's partly because fans have to go through this Amazing Race style of flights to follow their country for 3 matches. Put a country's 3 group stage matches in the same city and you'd probably have more fans making the trip from each country (and buying more tickets) because they'd get to see 3 of their country's matches in the same location.

You are aware that a massive presence of Canada fans for the Gold Cup is 210 fans all together in one section and another 63 scattered through the stadium wearing too much rouge on their cheeks?

I guess I am agreeing with where you say "slightly".

All the rest, being able to plan to go to one city for an entire group stage, fully agree.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are aware that a massive presence of Canada fans for the Gold Cup is 210 fans all together in one section and another 63 scattered through the stadium wearing too much rouge on their cheeks?

I guess I am agreeing with where you say "slightly".

All the rest, being able to plan to go to one city for an entire group stage, fully agree.

I don't think there will be thousands of fans travelling, but you would think it must be some amount more than when you need a plane ticket per match. Giving an example of how bad attendance has been in the past doesn't exactly disprove his point that the old way was a big barrier to fans getting to games.