Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Close call on offside no? 

States probably deserve it. They haven't served up anything spectacular but always find a way to win. HUGE boost for the states to have such an inexperienced group win. They will be insufferable but with a bit of luck might also give them some false confidence too.

Hard to tell with so many US players missing but I am confident we can pull off results against everyone, concacaf reffing aside.

Premier League VAR with the the lines would probably rule it out

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I'm not surprised the US won, Mexico was very poor attacking a stout American defence and as has been mentioned Mexico were looking vulnerable, not that great of a match for someone who doesn't like either team!

Well, we did sweet f.a. with our free kick service in the semi and it was clear tonight on a couple of different occasions that they struggled with defending them.

Like everyone else, I am very excited about our chances in the Ocho and I believe that we have the talent and the team to be an automatic qualifier and at the bare minimum a playoff qualifier.  Anything else would be a failure but I think we are going to really shine over the next eight months.  Booked my hotel room in Vancouver for the Jan 30 home date.  I'm ready to roll!  

The constant arguments that revolve around “the USA had a B team just wait until they have a full squad” are just so silly. This USA team won the tournament ... for all we know their “A” squad would have flunked out. Still, it is a major flex that the USA has won 2 trophies in 3 months with a full squad and a B squad. They’re top of CONCACAF without question now.

I do think that for us we had close enough to a full squad that it’s exciting imagining adding 1 or 2 players. Especially as we held our own with a 5th string striker having to start the semi.

Buchanan won young player of the tournament. Amazing and well deserved. He should be pleased and I’m sure his club is thrilled. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

9 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

💯

i get in fights with people about this. like you said, nobody outside of canada even knows that series happened. in the meantime, the whole world was watching when our guy broke the 100m world record IN the usa, but some exhibition hockey series that nobody cares about was bigger :wacko:

Ryder Hejsedal winning the Giro was more signifcant in sporting terms, Andreescu the US Open. Canadians winning nontradional sports sets a precedent for excellence and then younger generations feeds off it. 

Canada-Russia really let Canada know our hegemony was over, it's a totally different narrative. We're like Brazil in hockey (curling too ;)) we are always a candidate for gold. But we accept the talent and legitimate stake of 3-4 rivals now. 

We're all hoping for this group in our NT break the barrier, first to qualify for Qatar. Then score a goal. Then win a match. Get out of the group. I think that would be a 10/10.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I get that probably every single one of us on the forum have experienced hockey bullying soccer - on a big or small scale -  and that will always suck.  And that will taint our views toward hockey in some way. 

That said, I also appreciate that different places in the world have different things that are important to them. It is generally becoming less so, and for me it is sad to see unique things go.  So whether anyone else cares or not, I still feel it is important that Canada has a special relationship with hockey, despite watching it very little now, especially compared to other sports. 

And It is not unique to care about your semi-unique sports , very few countries care about the Ashes and not even all classes in a few countries care about the Boat Race, but they are front page news are certain times in the countries that care. 

The professional vs professional (in all but name only) Canada Cups were 4 years away in 1972.  Canada had not won Gold in the Olympics since 1952.   

It was a huge moment, if you are not into hockey or actively dislike its influence, and especially do not remember what the Cold War meant, if course it seems overblowed.  I am too young for the Summit Series but the mid Canada Cups were huge to me.  I have biases, I am a prairie kid with multiple generations of Canadians on one side at least, and as I said have been frustrated by Canadians treatment of soccer but the Summit Series is an important moment in Canadian history to me. 

And sometimes, who cares what the rest of the world cares about. 

Edit:

And I am sorry I am talking about this when we have the young player of the tournament in our national ranks. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Surprised the USA pulled that off but overall you have to be impressed with their tournament. They gave up one goal in the entire tourney (to Martinique) and were very solid defensively. Robinson and Turner might be deserving of starts for the “A team”. 

Edited by Floortom

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I get that probably every single one of us on the forum have experienced hockey bullying soccer - on a big or small scale -  and that will always suck.  And that will taint our views toward hockey in some way. 

That said, I also appreciate that different places in the world have different things that are important to them. It is generally becoming less so, and for me it is sad to see unique things go.  So whether anyone else cares or not, I still feel it is important that Canada has a special relationship with hockey, despite watching it very little now, especially compared to other sports. 

And It is not unique to care about your semi-unique sports , very few countries care about the Ashes and not even all classes in a few countries care about the Boat Race, but they are front page news are certain times in the countries that care. 

The professional vs professional (in all but name only) Canada Cups were 4 years away in 1972.  Canada had not won Gold in the Olympics since 1952.   

It was a huge moment, if you are not into hockey or actively dislike its influence, and especially do not remember what the Cold War meant, if course it seems overblowed.  I am too young for the Summit Series but the mid Canada Cups were huge to me.  I have biases, I am a prairie kid with multiple generations of Canadians on one side at least, and as I said have been frustrated by Canadians treatment of soccer but the Summit Series is an important moment in Canadian history to me. 

Edit:

And I am sorry I am talking about this when we have the young player of the tournament in our national ranks. 

Sorry but all the crap that I’ve gotten and had to put up with in my 46 years or so of following soccer and the Canadian national team,  was probably 10 years old when I started following,  ya hockey is our national sport and yes I remember all those events the Canada Cups and the 1972 series . I watched and cheered and was happy for Canada . Some great teams were put together by Canada in those competition . However, with all the crap I’ve had to go through supporting this game in this country and a lot of the  time by hockey puck heads unfortunately soured my like for hockey . Moreover, to see how so many things in this country are referenced to hockey and the media seem to go out of their way to link everything to hockey is funny at times . To the media every story about a person’s past seems to always mention some kind of connection to hockey even though they might have had a bigger connection to another sport . I find this is done whenever a person passes away lol.  But it’s a great time to be alive right now because with technology the way it is now I can live in this country and just tune hockey out something I couldn’t do for like almost 30 years of my life. Watch the sports I like and read about sports I like something like I said was not that easy to do for a good portion of my life.

23 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Surprised the USA pulled that off but overall you have to be impressed with their tournament. They have up one goal in the entire tourney (to Martinique) and were very solid defensively. Robinson and Turner might be deserving of starts for the “A team”. 

Robinson and Acosta were sensational and both will be in the mix with the first choice squad....Turner had the one gaffe early but settled down, he's an elite shot stopped....him and Steffan are both quality...

Mexico put a lot into this, maybe not their entire A-Squad but much closer to their first choice squad than the US and they lost...they may run Tata...the Mexican fanbase and media has zero patience and back-to-back losses to the Americans will have their fanbase up in arms this morning

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Sorry but all the crap that I’ve gotten and had to put up with in my 46 years or so of following soccer and the Canadian national team,  was probably 10 years old when I started following,  ya hockey is our national sport and yes I remember all those events the Canada Cups and the 1972 series . I watched and cheered and was happy for Canada . Some great teams were put together by Canada in those competition . However, with all the crap I’ve had to go through supporting this game in this country and a lot of the  time by hockey puck heads unfortunately soured my like for hockey . Moreover, to see how so many things in this country are referenced to hockey and the media seem to go out of their way to link everything to hockey is funny at times . To the media every story about a person’s past seems to always mention some kind of connection to hockey even though they might have had a bigger connection to another sport . I find this is done whenever a person passes away lol.  But it’s a great time to be alive right now because with technology the way it is now I can live in this country and just tune hockey out something I couldn’t do for like almost 30 years of my life. Watch the sports I like and read about sports I like something like I said was not that easy to do for a good portion of my life.

I respect that opinion. I don't think other people's genuine opinions are crap, generally.

I was a West Ham fan, because of my family, living in rural Alberta. Even if the English league found its way on TV, we could not get cable. I could maybe get scores and a table in the Sun I delivered with dad if they happened to have room. I get not being able follow what you want. It made getting to go to games even sweeter when it happened.  

I don't have the time or the willingness to be up in the middle of the night and follow hockey.  But I played as a kid and it is part of what makes being Canadian unique.  For me.

I also try not to let the actions of others dictate what I feel about something.  After I moved from hockey to other sports, the hockey jocks in high school were the worst sort of people.  But if I enjoyed hockey or enjoy soccer, which attracts some of the worst people in this country, should that matter a great deal?

We need to make soccer bigger in Canada but railing against hockey is probably not going to help that. Nor is letting bitterness about it fester.

Again just opinions.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Both Mexico and the US were way more effective than Canada on set pieces (attack and defense) - We really need to work on ours.  I was especially impressed with the US on how they defended set pieces and deliveries into the box in general…100% commitment from everyone close to the ball to be first in the air at all cost, attack the ball - a warrior mentality.  Canada often seems indecisive and scared. I’m not sure if there is a difference between our defensive plan (zone vs. man mark?), but to me it just seems to be down to mentality- some of our guys need to ‘man-up’.

I agree with others who think the US media over-stated the B/C team narrative- they will be able to create a few more chances with Pulisic, Musa and Dest, but I don’t think their midfield additions (McKennie, Adams) are the type to be able to control a game, or ‘orchestrate’ like Eustaquio can.  Robinson for the US is a beast - better than Long.  He should have won player of the tournament over Herrera.  I also liked Hoppe and don’t rate Sargeant too highly.

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment.

Shows a bit of an inferiority complex that we can only consider something "legitimate" if everybody else does.  Why can't something uniquely Canadian be important to Canadians?

Would be curious if this sentiment exists elsewhere.  Do the Irish downplay their Hurling accomplishments because it isn't that popular elsewhere?

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Both Mexico and the US were way more effective than Canada on set pieces (attack and defense) - We really need to work on ours.  I was especially impressed with the US on how they defended set pieces and deliveries into the box in general…100% commitment from everyone close to the ball to be first in the air at all cost, attack the ball - a warrior mentality.  Canada often seems indecisive and scared. I’m not sure if there is a difference between our defensive plan (zone vs. man mark?), but to me it just seems to be down to mentality- some of our guys need to ‘man-up’.

I agree with others who think the US media over-stated the B/C team narrative- they will be able to create a few more chances with Pulisic, Musa and Dest, but I don’t think their midfield additions (McKennie, Adams) are the type to be able to control a game, or ‘orchestrate’ like Eustaquio can.  Robinson for the US is a beast - better than Long.  He should have won player of the tournament over Herrera.  I also liked Hoppe and don’t rate Sargeant too highly.

Probably played Mexico as well as the USA did only thing is giving up that goal in the dying minutes. Canada has not beaten Mexico in World Cup qualifying or the Gold Cup since I think the year Canada won the Gold Cup I think it’s the last time Canada has beaten Mexico in an official tournament game . What Canada lacks in terms of Mexico is the belief that they can beat them. The US has beaten Mexico many times and go into each game against Mexico with  a history of winning against Mexico on their side , Canada does not have this. They just have to get that monkey of their back and then I think the wins will come.

Edited by SoccMan

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

This award was first handed out in Gold Cup 2015. Here are the winners since then:

2015 - Jesus Corona

2017 - Alphonso Davies

2019 - Christian Pulisic

2021 - Tajon Buchanan

Pretty good company...

Richard Hastings won that award in 2000. Doesn't look like it was given out again until 2015.