Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Really? Mexico's A lineup? Many are saying it will prolly only 3-4 of these guys on the starting 11 come September. 

Feels like so many pre excuses by both sides ( from the fans and pundits anyways)

Definitely not Mexico's A lineup but its probably closer to their A lineup than the US is playing....thought Mexico had the run of play most of the half which honestly isn't surprising....

4 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Definitely not Mexico's A lineup but its probably closer to their A lineup than the US is playing....thought Mexico had the run of play most of the half which honestly isn't surprising....

Their tempo and urgency into the later stages of the half really showed through yet they are vulnerable off the counter, but instead of having a Tajon Buchanon they have Paul Arriola.  I can't see the Americans winning this but if they do poach one in the second half, let the fireworks (metaphorical:  they already used up the real ones in the pre-game) begin.

Maybe Jamaica the surprise team of the tournie?  I mean aside from us.  Mexico and USA still the teams to beat and as goofy as this tournie has been they've both looked very beatable. 

They're going to look very different come WCQing but still, they now know they'll have to or it could get very unpleasant very fast.

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I always thought that Donavan Bailey and his other sprinters in that relay final were treated like crap. I remember going to the BAR that night after Bailey Won the Gold  and nobody seemed to care man was I pissed

To be fair, I think Bailey unfortunately was impacted by the Ben Johnson scandal as he won only 8 years after that. The whole nation was on massive high the evening Johnson won by beating Carl Lewis and set the world record in the process; then came crashing down to earth with the drug testing result. Which was followed by the Dubin inquiry where it became clear that performance enhancing drugs were widespread in track and field (and it wasn’t just the Soviet and the East Germans).  I think when Bailey won, people in Canada had that niggling thought in the back of their heads: Was this clean? Could we have a repeat of Johnson?  That dampened down enthusiasm greatly.

Close call on offside no? 

States probably deserve it. They haven't served up anything spectacular but always find a way to win. HUGE boost for the states to have such an inexperienced group win. They will be insufferable but with a bit of luck might also give them some false confidence too.

Hard to tell with so many US players missing but I am confident we can pull off results against everyone, concacaf reffing aside.