SpecialK

Should Herdman be fired  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Should Herdman be fired

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet

42 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Berholter should get canned too then, Curacao outplayed the US utterly and decisively. They were lucky to win that game.

Well he didn't deserve to be hired either.  

But I guess seeing as we made a similar mistake I don't really want to delve into their situation 

The CSA can't afford to keep hiring and firing coaches. They are stuck with his contract. He should be re-assigned to coach the Canadian Women's National Team, where he was successful. If he doesn't like it then he can bugger off and the CSA can rip up his contact without having to pay him a cent.

The oldest line in the book: "I'll get you to the next World Cup." BOLLOCKS!!!

Edited by Binky

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

Because of one upset loss? Get a grip! Even in England they don't fire the manager because of one upset loss.

Disappointing though that loss may be, the big picture is that we are probably currently not one of the best four teams in CONCACAF but we are probably one of the best eight and we lost in the quarters. We have been improving. We got the same result as Mexico against Cuba and bettered their score against Martinique. Upsets happen and we will learn from this one.

This^.   Get a a grip people.  It's one upset loss.  Can't believe how many voted yes

Its not just the loss.

He is already making bizarre roster moves. Like why take a kid to a tournament (Okello), if you are not going to play him, while we badly need reinforcements at other positions?

Plus we all know he was never qualified for the job to begin with.

The signs are not good.

Edited by narduch

I wonder if the poll was made 18 months ago, we would have had similar results. I'm not surprised about the result of this poll, because a lot of people who disliked the Herdman hire will want him fired. I didn't think that i was a fireable offense. I wasn't impressed by Herdman's showing, but firing him now seems even more premature than hiring him in the first place.

47 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I wonder if the poll was made 18 months ago, we would have had similar results. I'm not surprised about the result of this poll, because a lot of people who disliked the Herdman hire will want him fired. I didn't think that i was a fireable offense. I wasn't impressed by Herdman's showing, but firing him now seems even more premature than hiring him in the first place.

Naturally, given the circumstances of his hiring, he's already under enormous pressure as was perfectly predictable 18 months ago. What I'm concerned about is how the players are going to react to this. No one feels confident being lead by a fraud "motivational leader". I voted to can him just because I think he's an unqualified ass but, yeah, it's unfair. Too bad. I'm sure glad the Nations League is coming on line, he'll get his chance to prove us wrong soon enough.

I voted not yet(though I've never been a Herdman fan). 

But if he doesn't correct his glaring mistakes during Nations League then hell yes. 

Glaring mistakes include but not limited to:

1. Thinking he can play players out of position, especially wingers and CDM at FB

2. Not calling up sufficient cover for certain positions when there are capable players out there(Defence in General)

3. In game tactics(complaining about physicality then subbing off Cavallini while keeping Piette on the bench)

not adjusting to the flow of the game. ie realizing teams are overloading certain players or                        playing a direct style 

subbing attacking players off for defenders when down a goal

subbing on players clearly not at 100% fitness

4. Not taking responsibility for his own errors.

If we see more of the above during Nations League, by all means he should be fired(doubtful the CSA actually fires him though cuz he's there guy). At best he gets canned if he doesn't qualify for 2022. Even then he allegedly has a contract till 2026 so who knows. 

Edited by king1010

I voted not yet, I thought the whole hiring and firing process was a scam but realized I really have no choice but to give him a chance which I have done, he shouldn't have been hired to begin with, the reality is he is not going away anytime soon! Let's hope this was just a little hiccup along the way to an improving team! Nations League vs the US will tell us more of a story, if he continues to struggle in this role the calls for his head will be much louder, I don't think the CSA would listen anyway!

1 hour ago, rightback said:

Naturally, given the circumstances of his hiring, he's already under enormous pressure as was perfectly predictable 18 months ago. What I'm concerned about is how the players are going to react to this. No one feels confident being lead by a fraud "motivational leader". I voted to can him just because I think he's an unqualified ass but, yeah, it's unfair. Too bad. I'm sure glad the Nations League is coming on line, he'll get his chance to prove us wrong soon enough.

I do think Herdman has painted himself into a corner with all of the motivational stuff. He identified the mentality issue as being Canada's weakness, claimed that we had superior talent to most of our competition in the region and thus that we had underacheived and said he was going to fix that, pulled out all of the stops with motivational speakers, mind rooms etc. etc. And what happens - the first time we face real adversity (in squandering a lead) we lose and we squandered it in the first place with mental mistakes. So if we have superior players and now the motivational/mentality aspect is fixed thanks to him (or so he was alleging), what's the reason for the loss?

Because this is a one off (thus far) and we had probably the youngest backline in the tournament by a long way, no doubt he can say it's a learning experience for an inexperienced team that they will learn from. But unless we see some signs of that soon (ie. Nations League), then the doubts that he has the tactical acumen for the job will only grow. So these matches coming up are very important. I wish we could play some friendlies ahead of time to try out some new players at right back (for example) but even the guys at mlssoccer.com have started to note/complain that we don't play any friendlies.

Having only a 25% approval rating means John Herdman is even less popular than Donald Trump has ever been! Now that's something worth twittering about.

Can the Canadian Men's National Team afford to incur another setback in two successive major international competitions? How would failure in the Nations League bode for Canada's chances of making in to Qatar 2022? Sticking with Herdman in the Nations League allows that possibility to happen. If the CSA were ever to its alter course when things are obviously going in the wrong direction, then now is the time to do so. Unfortunately, the CSA has never in the past, replaced a coach mid-cycle in an attempt to salvage a World Cup campaign, and we all know how poorly that has worked out for us. If the CSA decides to stick with Herdman in charge of the CMNT for the duration of the Nations League competition, at a time when Canadian success is so crucial to the future of soccer in our country, then they have to stick with him throughout the entire World Cup cycle, because it would be pointless to appoint a new coach in between the end of the Nations League and the beginning of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying. If Canada does not have a successful outing in the Nations League, then we can all say goodbye to our chances of qualifying for Qatar 2022!

Edited by Binky

• Admin locked this topic