132 members have voted

1. 1. Should Herdman be fired

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We play US not Mexico.

Who from the CPL would you call?

I'd give either 20-year old Tristan Borges, or 20-year old Noah Verhoeven a chance.

I F'd up. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by Binky

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Who would you drop to accommodate them?

Don't agree with my choices? Hey, if you start paying me $1M and I'll gladly teach Herdman how to coach. Until then I'll just give him enough rope to hang himself.

5 minutes ago, Binky said:

Don't agree with my choices? Hey, if you start paying me $1M and I'll gladly teach Herdman how to coach. Until then I'll just give him enough rope to hang himself.

I can't agree or disagree until you tell me who you would replace. I love both of those players and think both can and will become full internationals for Canada someday.

Who would you drop to accommodate them?

Edited by Obinna

Okay, only because you insist.

Because I like taking some risks, I would only carry two goalies on the Nations League roster and leave out Jayson Leutwiler. I would definitely keep all of the North American-based players that are on the list above simply from a fatigue point of view, and would therefore have to cut one of the European-based players, and base that decision on injuries, who's in-form and amount of playing time. Mind you, these are only suggestions. I don't tell people what to do, because I really don't like it when people tell me what to do.

4 hours ago, Binky said:

Oh dear. So you're saying that there are currently no young players in the CPL that are good enough to be on a mediocre Canadian national team roster that performed so poorly at the Gold Cup? Not a very glowing assessment of the overall talent level of the CPL now, is it?

If anything, this was one of the strongest Canadian teams we have seen in a long time. Two young superstars in Davies and David, an on form LigaMX striker, very good MLS players like Kaye, Osorio and Henry, a Premier league winger, and players playing at good levels like Arfield at Rangers and Hutchinson/Larin at Besiktas.

That is another reason why the loss to Haiti hurts.

23 minutes ago, Binky said:

Okay, only because you insist.

Because I like taking some risks, I would only carry two goalies on the Nations League roster and leave out Jayson Leutwiler. I would definitely keep all of the North American-based players that are on the list above simply from a fatigue point of view, and would therefore have to cut one of the European-based players, and base that decision on injuries, who's in-form and amount of playing time. Mind you, these are only suggestions. I don't tell people what to do, because I really don't like it when people tell me what to do.

3 keepers is standard, but I am kinda with you. I often feel it is a waste of a roster spot (always feels that way though, until emergency strikes and you are putting an outfield playing in goal).

I expected you to actually name a specific player, but clearly you don't have one in mind, you just want to make room for one of those cpl guys. That's your prerogative, but may I suggest Godinho?

That should go over well with the Borjan-haters in the Milan Borjan thread ;)

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

3 keepers is standard, but I am kinda with you. I often feel it is a waste of a roster spot (always feels that way though, until emergency strikes and you are putting an outfield playing in goal).

I expected you to actually name a specific player, but clearly you don't have one in mind, you just want to make room for one of those cpl guys. That's your prerogative, but may I suggest Godinho?

That should go over well with the Borjan-haters in the Milan Borjan thread ;)

How do you know what's in my mind? Are you psychic?

Since this will be the first and last time I engage in this sort of thing, I'll give you a name: Atiba. There are you happy now? The only reason for doing so is that at the ripe old age of 36, he doesn't figure in Canada's future anymore. Someone in the not too distant future is going to have to replace him. He sure wouldn't be around when Herdman goes to Qatar (as a spectator of course) in 2022. So because it is very unlikely that Canada will be playing a great number of competitive matches between now and then, why not start the search for a replacement immediately?

18 minutes ago, Binky said:

How do you know what's in my mind? Are you psychic?

Since this will be the first and last time I engage in this sort of thing, I'll give you a name: Atiba. There are you happy now? The only reason for doing so is that at the ripe old age of 36, he doesn't figure in Canada's future anymore. Someone in the not too distant future is going to have to replace him. He sure wouldn't be around when Herdman goes to Qatar (as a spectator of course) in 2022. So because it is very unlikely that Canada will be playing a great number of competitive matches between now and then, why not start the search for a replacement immediately?

Verhoeven for Atiba lol

4 hours ago, ted said:

I guess all I am saying is I don't believe any other coach currently working on this planet could have done any better at this tournament.

Sure, he could have made different decisions, but when I mentioned that he needs to learn and grow as a coach, I was ridiculed. If you are offering reasonable critique of his decisions, have at 'er. But any talk of firing is simply ********.This coach and this group of players are working towards qualifying for WC 2022. If they fail, then we fire him.

I too have said I don’t think Herdman should be fired and I also hope he learns from looking at himself as well as the players’ performances. Scapegoating won’t help, but neither will glossing over the mistakes made. Critical but fair analysis of all players and staff is needed. 

I disagree that no other coach in the world could have done better, but IMO that doesn’t really matter, as Herdman is who we have. 

6 hours ago, Binky said:

In other words, the CSA can afford to shell out $1M plus on an inexperienced coach, who is learning how to grow. Good grief, if that's not disrespecting the current group of CMNT players than I don't know what is. 

He is not an inexperienced coach. It is not disrespectful at all because you keep confusing "learning how to be a coach" with "learning how to get the best out of this group of players in WC qualifying for 2022". Two very different things.

5 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I hired your sister Kinky and your brother Stinky and they are both GONE! Well, your brother anyway.

Funny thing is, I come from a dysfunctional home. The problem is, I live alone!!!

Edited by Binky

47 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's never been fully clear exactly what the problem was with the previous coach. He had closer to the level of experience in the professional game that you would normally expect for someone being appointed to a national team job.

Both previous managers before him... Zambrano, and Floro came with a level of pedigree. 

Hart came from coaching women then got 10 years to learn and grow in the Canadian setup working with the mens youth teams before being head coach.

How did we go backwards. 

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

So we are expecting to get a coach that’s a final package? That has nothing left to improve? Did we forget we’re Canada?

I think there is a lot of daylight between the idea that we are not going to attract a world class coach and that our CMNT head coaching position should be used for on-the-job-training.  

Let’s not forget that there are thousands of club teams but less than two hundred opportunities to be the head coach of a national men’s team.  Even being Canada, one would think that being a men’s national team coach would have a certain level of panache and be attractive to coaches who had done well with club teams.  We no doubt could have hired someone with a better pedigree.  I also think Herdman was very aware that we were coming into a “golden generation” of talent in Canada and that’s why he pushed himself into the picture even though Zambrano had just been hired. He’s been accused of a lot of things, and rightly so, but being stupid isn’t one of them.

• Admin locked this topic