OneSoccer

Foreen

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

So did I get this right?... if you have fubo you now get onesoccer free but what if you have onesoccer do you have to pay more for fubo? Or are they amalgamating their platforms?

If I understand correctly, the OneSoccer main channel will now be available on Fubo.

So using Thursday as an example, you would have been able to watch the Canada pre match, match and post match as well as USA v El Salvador through Fubo, because they were on the main OneSoccer channel. You would not have had access to Mexico v Jamaica or Panama v Honduras because those were on alternate streams.

This is my understanding, but I will confirm next time One Soccer has multiple simultaneous events.

Really not sure what to make out of this fuboTV thing. Think it means CanPL is not going to be on SN to any huge extent because what's still left as exclusive content for fuboTV otherwise? Beyond that wasn't the hope that Onesoccer was going to be the definitive go to destination for soccer in Canada generating all kinds of cash for the CSB partners to fund their other activities in the process? After Red Card's snippet of info about the SN deal being in exchange for a portion of the production costs I'm leaning in the direction of Mediapro looking to cut their losses at this point but open to persuasion that it's actually the best thing that could possibly ever have happened for CanPL.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Beyond that wasn't the hope that Onesoccer was going to be the definitive go to destination for soccer in Canada generating all kinds of cash for the CSB partners to fund their other activities in the process? 

No, I dont think any reasonable person ever though Onesoccer was going to be 'generating all kinds of cash'. Soccer is a niche sport in Canada and most people who follow it generally follow the English league. The best I can figure is Onesoccer was a way for CPL and Canadas National Teams to have a reliable platform so their fans could see the games. Without one soccer CPL's small fan base would never be able to see action outside their own stadium and the National team reduced to begging networks to broadcast the odd game.

I dont think anyone expected it to generate any positive Cashflow in the first number of years. I would be shocked if their subscriber base and advertising even covers half their production costs.

If you went back a few years on here to what was being posted pre-launch there was a lot of rhetoric about a "Canadian SUM" that would do for CanPL and the CSA what SUM does financially for MLS and the USSF. My recollection is that there were people who very much expected that sort of initiative to help fund the league rather than being about finding broadcasters to cover part of their production costs. There also appeared to be people on here who assumed that the stated $150M to be invested over ten years by Mediapro amounted to a rights fee and were completely euphoric about it. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Something Mediapro may gain out of this is that all the costs associated with operating and hosting the Onesoccer platform may pass over to fuboTV at this point taking advantage of the economies of scale provided by having so many more subscribers for the other channels that fuboTV host. The press release isn't fully clear on that though or on the duration of the deal.

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

So did I get this right?... if you have fubo you now get onesoccer free but what if you have onesoccer do you have to pay more for fubo? Or are they amalgamating their platforms?

My very quick look at the website seemed like $100 for the year and you get Onesoccer and Bein. And some other stuff I didn't recognize. At that price I would assume that you'd migrate over once the One Soccer subscription expires? If that's all true, I'd be interested. Can you still watch lower league England on Bein?

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Something Mediapro may gain out of this is that all the costs associated with operating and hosting the Onesoccer platform may pass over to fuboTV at this point taking advantage of the economies of scale provided by having so many more subscribers for the other channels that fuboTV host. The press release isn't fully clear on that though or on the duration of the deal.

This is one of the key benefits. fubo tv was the first live sports streaming app in North America. They're ahead everyone else in terms of platform technology by 5 years. They're in the stages of fully rolling out in-game betting. So, a boatload of expenses that was needed to upgrade OneSoccer's customer facing tech can be delayed further. Or it could now be spent on buying rights and/or improving existing productions.

fubo is now a multichannel video programming distributor just like Rogers Ignite or Bell Fibe. fubo has also started to own/produce exclusive content. Wider distribution means the programmatic driven ad buying used for iptv services will allocate more to OneSoccer. But big money will still only made when there is more interest in CPL, national teams & Concacaf tourneys.

fubo has about 700k subs in total. Probably less than 5% of that are Canadian as their Canada offerings are relatively slim. Serie A was their first real get for the Canadian market. As they build out their Canada offerings, the subscription cost will increase from $100/yr. In the US, the starter package is US$65/month for 100+ channels. And they charge extra if you want to watch things like Conmebol WCQ. 

Edited by red card

14 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm leaning in the direction of Mediapro looking to cut their losses at this point but open to persuasion that it's actually the best thing that could possibly ever have happened for CanPL.

Of course you are.

Hasn't production and distribution been MediaPro's stated strategy from the start, and how they operate everywhere else in the world? My understanding was that the app was a stop gap from the start until they found a platform to carry/pay for their content. The length of the initial contract also demonstrates that they were clearly getting in early with an eye on the 2026 World Cup, and the excitement by staff would indicate to me that they are happy about the deal.

I'm not sure how having a wider audience could be perceived as bad for CPL either.

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The important part for people wanting to switch to fuboTV

" ......the content shown on fuboTV will be a simulcast from the OneSoccer production and will follow along with the OneSoccer live channel’s schedule. At the moment, it is not clear if fans will have access to archived games or replays through the platform.

That means that if two matches that OneSoccer has the rights for are playing at the same time, fuboTV subscribers may only be able to watch the sole match selected to air on the official OneSoccer channel. When it comes down to things like the final day of CPL action with four simultaneous matches, that may be an issue for some users."

Edited by Raven

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Something people might have missed in this article is the statement that Sportsnet recently Showing CPL highlights:

"This week has seen a significant strategic pivot from MEDIAPRO Canada, who’s subsidiary OneSoccer held exclusive rights to those competitions north of the border. Earlier this week it was confirmed that Sportsnet had signed a distribution deal for Canada’s World Cup Qualifiers, with the media company recently showing some CPL highlights, too."

Can it be that the reason TSN and Sportsnet were not showing CPL highlights were because they weren't allowed too? And only now that Sportsnet signed a distribution deal they are allowed to show highlights and such. Seems like a reasonable conclusion as I know this is the norm with Showing Olympic highlights as an example.

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

Can it be that the reason TSN and Sportsnet were not showing CPL highlights were because they weren't allowed too? And only now that Sportsnet signed a distribution deal they are allowed to show highlights and such. Seems like a reasonable conclusion as I know this is the norm with Showing Olympic highlights as an example.

That still wouldnt explain TSN not having a header for CPL, when it does for most of the european leagues??  And there is no mention of the scores on the crawl.  Sportsnet has had all that and a weekly roundup series of articles all year for the CPL. And they were is the same boat as TSN..no deal with CPL/Onesoccer etc.   

6 hours ago, johnyb said:

TSN wants to pretend the CPL doesn't exist.  TFC played the day after the Pacific/Whitecaps game and the announcers didn't mention Dos Santos being fired by the Whitecaps until around the 60th minute, and didn't mention the Whitecaps losing to Pacific until after the 80th.  It was sort of a "oh by the way, Dos Santos was fired because they lost to a CPL team."  They spent more time explaining RSL's coaching change.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:12 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I don't think they'll be shutting down the OneSoccer streaming platform, just adding it "as a linear channel on fuboTV in Canada."

14 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Is Onesoccer available to all Fubotv subscribers or just Canadian subscribers?

600k subscribers, that would be great exposure 

Just Canada. They don't have US rights for any competitions.

My understanding is that you can generally expect about $2,000 per million views on youtube. So 114k views is about the same as 2 new Onesoccer full year subscribers on revenue in other words so not where the money gets made. The real cash bonanza would have been 114k new subscribers desparate to watch the game live on an exclusive webstream in other words. How Onesoccer are doing out of this depends entirely on whether SN, RDS and fuboTV are doing any more than helping them recover their costs (as Red Card was suggesting was being implied in a link mentioned above) after the last minute shift away from the webstream only approach.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

My understanding is that you can generally expect about $2,000 per million views on youtube. So 114k views is about the same as 2 new Onesoccer full year subscribers on revenue in other words so not where the money gets made. The real cash bonanza would have been 114k new subscribers desparate to watch the game live on an exclusive webstream in other words. How Onesoccer are doing out of this depends entirely on whether SN, RDS and fuboTV are doing any more than helping them recover their costs (as Red Card was suggesting was being applied in a link mentioned above) after the last minute shift away from the webstream only approach.

It's the marketing that is key there not the income from YouTube. They will get new subscriptions when people start knowing their name. Just like how every old British guy has DAZN to watch premier League and they originally said they'd never pay for a streaming service.