OneSoccer

Foreen

9 hours ago, rkomar said:

ESPN are a minority owner of TSN, and have a partnership to share content.  So, it's no surprise that TSN would be using the ESPN feed for the WCQ games.  It's probably cheaper for them.

Content sharing in this context is a one way street for ESPN.  If they don't want to do a deal for content sharing with OneSoccer then OK.

Can't find any reason OneSoccer should be upset letting TSN use the USA match to promote this tournie to their customers.  You know, while also freeing OneSoccer to sell the Canada matches at peak market value to the US networks for the USA visit, and the Mexico visit, and the Honduras visit, and...

11 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Content sharing in this context is a one way street for ESPN.  If they don't want to do a deal for content sharing with OneSoccer then OK.

Can't find any reason OneSoccer should be upset letting TSN use the USA match to promote this tournie to their customers.  You know, while also freeing OneSoccer to sell the Canada matches at peak market value to the US networks for the USA visit, and the Mexico visit, and the Honduras visit, and...

I think the USA game showing on TSN may actually get more OneSoccer subscribers. If people enjoy watching that game they will hear there is another game on Wednesday and sign up to watch it.

19 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

An idea here, as I used to do this on my Xbox One before owning a Roku: I was able to use the web browser on my console to play video through OneSoccer's website. Might be worth the try if you want the game on the big screen!

Tried that before getting AppleTV, but thanks anyway. :)

1 hour ago, red card said:

RDS guy says they have only rights to US match. And then also replies that at this point, OneSoccer isn't interested in sub licensing any other matches.

That was always an option.  They were either going to go all in trying to build a subscriber base that could make OS a successful and financially sustainable streaming platform to 2026 and beyond, or they could try to generate a profit by acquiring broadcast rights at wholesale prices by buying bulk and then “rent” them out to larger and more traditional broadcasters.   

This tweet makes it seem like they are still eager to pursue the first option - and I am very comfortable with that choice.  

Not convinced Nigel has any sizable soccer knowledge. Comes across as more of a rugger and cricket type in UK terms. Really does appear to be a case of making a career out of having a posh English accent because people have been conditioned to expect that with the main play-by-play guy in soccer (the colour commentator meanwhile is allowed to be like Ray Hudson with a working class British accent). Always found it depressing that many people in the TFC fan group scene hung on his every word and were scornful about Bob Iarusci who had been there and done that with the CMNT, Metros-Croatia and the NY Cosmos and actually knew what he was talking about. That made me one of those fringe weirdos from the Voyageurs board that took domestic Canadian soccer seriously pre-2007 basically.

Was in no way surprised when York 9 wound up with a core home support of < 1000 even after all the nationalist rhetoric from fringe Voyageurs types like Rollins and Totera and the league itself because I knew most soccer people in the GTA would prefer to watch Giovinco or the next big DP signing rather than the next Andrea Lombardo. Paul B & co clearly were surprised and it's reasonable to conclude that they hadn't understood the dynamics of what happened in 2007 and mistook what was largely a first or second generation immigrant crowd finally given soccer they were able to take seriously again for the first time since the Blizzard in the NASL for something it wasn't.

Winding things back to Nigel he fitted well with TFC in terms of the prevailing zeitgeist post-Beckham signing but isn't what CanPL needs right now to build a strong domestic Canadian soccer culture. Onesoccer has Oliver Platt who actually knows what he is talking about doing the sort of analysis people are used to with the English Premiership so adding Nigel regularly to the mix as well would be complete overkill on the posh Englishman angle. Nigel Reed only appears to be used for Canadian Championship games where there will be a lot of MLS only types for some of the broadcasts who are less likely to be enthused about Gareth Wheeler or Alf de Blasis.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 8/27/2021 at 9:22 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else breathe a sigh of relief and smile when they discover Nigel Reed is calling the game?

Lol Nigel Reed no please God no , guy has no clue I’m sorry anyone but him , would rather listen to Vic Rauter than this guy anytime of the week, boring as hell and doesn’t have a clue .

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Lol Nigel Reed no please God no , guy has no clue I’m sorry anyone but him , would rather listen to Vic Rauter than this guy anytime of the week, boring as hell and doesn’t have a clue .

I like Vic too  lol - Although I like Vic more on the curling matches. In fairness Nigel has called soccer games (and almost every sport) for 3 decades I think he has some idea hat he's talking about. I can understand how some people don't particularly care for his style though.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I like Vic too  lol - Although I like Vic more on the curling matches. In fairness Nigel has called soccer games (and almost every sport) for 3 decades I think he has some idea hat he's talking about. I can understand how some people don't particularly care for his style though.

It’s the fact that he is boring as hell and provides no insight in the game for me. 

5 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It’s the fact that he is boring as hell and provides no insight in the game for me. 

I watched Barça this morning on the feed TSN has, must be ESPN? And it was boring, dry, mispronounced names, weak analysis. Very soft broadcast. Then Keller and that Latino guy vying at halftime. Not a quality broadcast despite a poor match. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Every time I watch the ending of the women's Olympic final, I find myself wondering what it might have sounded like with someone calling the game who could muster up even the least bit of enthusiasm. 

The Eurosport announcers in Spanish killed it, it was a great call and the penalties, fabulous. All the drama and tension, without interfering with what was happening on the pitch.

I had to miss the York United vs Forge game yesterday. Tried several times last night and throughout today to watch the replay, but it doesn’t work at all for me. Is it working for anyone else? Please, no spoilers for the result. I have avoided them so far. It is annoying, lots of threads I am ignoring while I wait to be able to watch the game.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I had to miss the York United vs Forge game yesterday. Tried several times last night and throughout today to watch the replay, but it doesn’t work at all for me. Is it working for anyone else? Please, no spoilers for the result. I have avoided them so far. It is annoying, lots of threads I am ignoring while I wait to be able to watch the game.

I went to check, and it wouldnt play for me either.