OneSoccer

Foreen

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Bell and Rogers aren't charities. If they thought they'd make money off airing Canadian soccer games they would. 

And blaming the media for "failing" Canadian soccer is bullshit. The CSA was poorly run for decades. I mean, damn.  It wasn't the media's fault that Canadian soccer had no cup/competition until fans stepped up and created the Voyageurs Cup. It wasn't the media's fault that the Bank of Montreal handed out blue noise makers vs Honduras, or regularly had Caribbean bands at Canada home matches. The media didn't hire Dale Mitchell as coach after he'd just failed with the u-20s. The list of CSA failings goes on, they dug themselves a hole, and it's going to take time to get out of it.

This has nothing to do with Vic. This is Kevan Pipe era gripes. You can draw a straight-line from Montagliani's time at the CSA to where we are today.

Vic is a solid guy who is standing up for what is right. Media is the next step here. For Canada and for CONCACAF. I don't know what the play is with the streamers and everything else going on in the world, but I sure hope these public companies who aren't charities are the ones who get fucked in the end.

Just curious, do you subscribe to OneSoccer?

13 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

This has nothing to do with Vic. This is Kevan Pipe era gripes. You can draw a straight-line from Montagliani's time at the CSA to where we are today.

Yes, I won't dispute this. But my point is more that the CSA was so badly mismanaged for so long that they essentially lost a generation (or two, or three) of fans. They're working to repair that. There's clear good things going on. And I'm not saying they were wrong to take the OneSoccer deal, but it's now shifted games to a service that's not convenient for new or casual fans. That was the business decision the CSA made because it paid them more in the short term, and there's nothing wrong with that. We'll see how it plays out, and if TSN/Rogers/CBC decide to work with OneSoccer on some games.

30 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Just curious, do you subscribe to OneSoccer?

I subscribe to OneSoccer for the month for any CMNT matches and never use it for anything else.

LOL.  Beauty.

Quite right.  You know, VM is just calling a spade a spade and maybe a little something besides.

As he said, it took a foreign investor to change the footie landscape in this country, through OneSoccer, and a new CSA brave enough and willing enough to encourage that investment through its rights partnership.  Going right around the domestic providers.

And coming off of the glow of an Olympic Gold, a domestic league and a year of WCQs which are going to absolutely rock this country that coverage is going to be available to Canadians without the domestic providers.

So a little threat maybe and some barely disguised gloating.

Good for him.  Pay attention.  Or don't.

Edited by Cheeta

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

LOL.  Beauty.

Quite right.  You know, VM is just calling a spade a spade and maybe a little something besides.

As he said, it took a foreign investor to change the footie landscape in this country, through OneSoccer, and a new CSA brave enough and willing enough to encourage that investment through its rights partnership.  Going right around the domestic providers.

And coming off of the glow of an Olympic Gold, a domestic league and a year of WCQs which are going to absolutely rock this country that coverage is going to be available to Canadians without the domestic providers.

So a little threat maybe and some barely disguised gloating.

Good for him.  Pay attention.  Or don't.

Wow, we're reading his comments totally different.  I think most of the point of his comments is that he's not happy about having to go around the domestic providers - he did because that was the only choice presented to him, but he's not happy about it.  And I don't think there's any gloating.  I think there's very much concern that Canada will take your "Or don't" option, and that the WCQs won't "absolutely rock this country" on the basis of the domestic providers aren't (at this time) showing the games.  Plus, TSN already got what they wanted - 4.4 M for the gold medal game.  And if Canada does qualify for the World Cup, well they'll benefit heavily from that too.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only game(s) TSN/Sportsnet would really care about airing would be the potential clinching match and maybe the US or Mexico games.  But a Thursday night vs Honduras?  They'll likely happily let OneSoccer have that.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Wow, we're reading his comments totally different.  I think most of the point of his comments is that he's not happy about having to go around the domestic providers - he did because that was the only choice presented to him, but he's not happy about it.  And I don't think there's any gloating.  I think there's very much concern that Canada will take your "Or don't" option, and that the WCQs won't "absolutely rock this country" on the basis of the domestic providers aren't (at this time) showing the games.  Plus, TSN already got what they wanted - 4.4 M for the gold medal game.  And if Canada does qualify for the World Cup, well they'll benefit heavily from that too.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only game(s) TSN/Sportsnet would really care about airing would be the potential clinching match and maybe the US or Mexico games.  But a Thursday night vs Honduras?  They'll likely happily let OneSoccer have that.

Vic wasn't happy then since the CSA had nowhere else to go. He's gloating now because he said "the traditional media doesn't deserve the national team games."

Otherwise, my view is somewhat similar. CBC kicked off soccer coverage by showing the World Cup on tv for the first time in 82. Up until the late 90s, this was the only soccer most Canadians watched live. It's one of the reasons why the 3 biggest soccer properties are country tourneys: World Cup, Euros & Olympics. And these remain on tv as a mass audience works best on an ad-supported business model.

TSN did support the CSL. They were seeking a summer property since they didn't have the CFL yet. But the days of going all in for a nascent Canadian league are over for TSN/SN. Cord cutting has crimped their revenues. Their parent companies are also hurting from changing usage trends from radio to magazines while still needing to build out ever changing tech infrastructure. 

Second big bang was when Premier League games started to be carried live. It's success opened the door for Champions League & Serie A in english. MLS was the gateway for the more domestic oriented tv sports fan into soccer.

In the past 5 years or so, we have had a cambrian explosion in content. The audience has also grown out from watching all the World Cups and Premier League matches. But given all the leagues/tourneys and people's backgrounds, it is the most fragmented sports tv audience. Combined with the cracks being seen in the cable sports tv business model, we have now 3 foreign-owned sports streamers focused on soccer.

But soccer still isn't a top 5 tv sport. Canada matches outside of WC/Olympics aren't top 5 soccer tv properties. Matches are infrequent and many are on weekdays. And they still have to pay extra monies for Canada matches in Concacaf events. So, it made business sense for TSN to dump the CSA if they weren't going to pay for the production costs. 

As TSN did pre WWC 19, they might pony up for a friendly or two pre Qatar if Canada qualifies. Looking forward, as seen with the women in Canada and the US and also the US men, it won't happen over a fortnight. Hand wringing over TSN not showing a Gold Cup semi or WCQ vs Mexico is a waste of time. Because it's going take about a generation continually making World Cups to make Canada matches a top 5 soccer property. 2026 World Cup will accelerate the process. Otherwise, we'll need to see Canada men make a run in the knockout stages.

Edited by red card

I love what Vic said and impressed he said it. TSN cares about ESPN properties and MLSE that's it. For instance they act like Basketball is this great thing and represents the next generation of Canadians yet never a peep about CEBL which offers a great product for actual Canadians. Anyways I've gone on about this at nauseum leading up to the CPL launch. I just really doubt any qualifiers will be on TSN or Sportsnet now

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I love what Vic said and impressed he said it. TSN cares about ESPN properties and MLSE that's it. For instance they act like Basketball is this great thing and represents the next generation of Canadians yet never a peep about CEBL which offers a great product for actual Canadians. Anyways I've gone on about this at nauseum leading up to the CPL launch. I just really doubt any qualifiers will be on TSN or Sportsnet now

With the quality of the National team right now and if they do well, I don't blame MediaPro to not play ball with them should they want to buy games.

I'd overprice them just for good measures

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not paying for the rights as a business decision is one thing despite still being disappointing 

BUT

Going out of your way to ignore the league and not even showing the scores

They deserve that criticism 1000%

Sporsnet mentions CPL.  Both networks mention both national teams.  And TSN still mentions/shows the 3 Canadian MLS teams.  So really, the only gripe is that TSN doesn't mention CPL.

Just googled it.  In 2020 94% of Canadian households had internet access.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yup.  Taking a differnet read on his comments. 

I just googled it.  In 2020 93% of Canadian household had internet access.  And I'd dare to guess a similar number of Canadian households can stream OneSoccer right to their smartTV. 

Don't know the details of any agreements between OneSoccer and SportsNet/TSN, but with or without those two domestic providers this WCQ campaign is going to go on and it's going to be too big to ignore even if they want to.  Impossible.  Because it's going to be a REALLY BIG DEAL and it'll be out there.  Available to 93% of Canadian households.  Those household just need to know that it is.   

So either OneSoccer is going to get all of that action and SportsNet/TSN is going to get none of it or the parties concerned are going to come to an agreement and I suspect OneSoccer isn't in a mood to allow cherry picking by the domestic providers.  Well, maybe.  If the price is right.  But I'm getting a hard ball vibe from VM.  And I doubt he's improvising that role, unscripted as it were.  VM strikes me as the type of person who doesn't ask a question unless he already knows the answer. 

Priority one isn't taking whatever scraps the domestic providers offer, those days are done.  Prioity one is getting 93% of Canadian households informed about where they can go to watch an exciting once in a lifetime run by the Canadian Men's National Team in World Cup Qualifying.

An overly optimistic view?  Probably.  But this is a different world from the any previous WCQ campaign for Canada.  On and off the field.        

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

With the quality of the National team right now and if they do well, I don't blame MediaPro to not play ball with them should they want to buy games.

I'd overprice them just for good measures

MediaPro should make the same business decision TSN/Sportsnet to.  If they're seeing an increase in subscriptions, keep the games.  If they're not (or it's still not enough) sell the games for a profit if they can.

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Just googled it.  In 2020 94% of Canadian households had internet access.

Yup.  Taking a differnet read on his comments. 

I just googled it.  In 2020 93% of Canadian household had internet access.  And I'd dare to guess a similar number of Canadian households can stream OneSoccer right to their smartTV. 

I have seen the posts in the OneSoccer thread and I'm pretty sure that no where near that number of households could stream OneSoccer right to their smarTVs.

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Don't know the details of any agreements between OneSoccer and SportsNet/TSN, but with or without those two domestic providers this WCQ campaign is going to go on and it's going to be too big to ignore even if they want to.  Impossible.  Because it's going to be a REALLY BIG DEAL and it'll be out there.  Available to 93% of Canadian households.  Those household just need to know that it is.   

Look, we're on this board because we love soccer.  We know it's a big deal even to finally progress back to this stage.  And I'd say most sports broadcasters know it's a bit deal too. But I think you are going to have a lot of casual fans who will either wait until they qualify for the World Cup (which would be a big deal) and then the games are on TSN or they don't qualify, in which case they'll feel they missed nothing.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I have seen the posts in the OneSoccer thread and I'm pretty sure that no where near that number of households could stream OneSoccer right to their smarTVs.

Look, we're on this board because we love soccer.  We know it's a big deal even to finally progress back to this stage.  And I'd say most sports broadcasters know it's a bit deal too. But I think you are going to have a lot of casual fans who will either wait until they qualify for the World Cup (which would be a big deal) and then the games are on TSN or they don't qualify, in which case they'll feel they missed nothing.

The games may well be on TSN when we're playing in Qatar in about 15 months'  time. However, if TSN choose to be dicks and completely ignore the CSA programs until that time, I'd like to see a blanket policy of no CMNT players or coaches speaking directly to TSN before, during, or after the World Cup. Give exclusive interviews to friendly news outlets and let TSN run stock stories picked up from wire services. This may be one of those times to run with the ol' George W Bush 'You're either with us, or you're against us' attitudes.

12 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The games may well be on TSN when we're playing in Qatar in about 15 months'  time. However, if TSN choose to be dicks and completely ignore the CSA programs until that time, I'd like to see a blanket policy of no CMNT players or coaches speaking directly to TSN before, during, or after the World Cup. Give exclusive interviews to friendly news outlets and let TSN run stock stories picked up from wire services. This may be one of those times to run with the ol' George W Bush 'You're either with us, or you're against us' attitudes.

Define "completely ignore"?  Because they do show interviews and talk about results for the national teams.  They just don't show the games.

29 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Define "completely ignore"?  Because they do show interviews and talk about results for the national teams.  They just don't show the games.

If they make a play for the Mexico and/or USA games during qualifying, but aren't able to come to an agreement with OneSoccer, then choose to bury those games on their website and SportsCenter beyond running a brief CP article, I'd say that's the level of ignoring that I'm talking about. It's pretty much in line with how TSN has done business in the past.

7 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If they make a play for the Mexico and/or USA games during qualifying, but aren't able to come to an agreement with OneSoccer, then choose to bury those games on their website and SportsCenter beyond running a brief CP article, I'd say that's the level of ignoring that I'm talking about. It's pretty much in line with how TSN has done business in the past.

Fair. We'll see what they do.

Edit: I'd expect highlights of games to be a reasonable expectation.

Edited by Watchmen

They should be showing CPL highlights now, they should have the scores on their crawl, etc etc etc.  I can see stories about and follow Series A, League 1, all sorts of leagues they dont carry and check the game summaries etc etc, but they only mention the CPL by accident.  This is the 3rd season..grow the fuck up TSN.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They should be showing CPL highlights now, they should have the scores on their crawl, etc etc etc.  I can see stories about and follow Series A, League 1, all sorts of leagues they dont carry and check the game summaries etc etc, but they only mention the CPL by accident.  This is the 3rd season..grow the fuck up TSN.

Remember when TSN had the rights to Concacaf League and fans had to basically beg them to show the Forge games