OneSoccer

Foreen

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I had to miss the York United vs Forge game yesterday. Tried several times last night and throughout today to watch the replay, but it doesn’t work at all for me. Is it working for anyone else? Please, no spoilers for the result. I have avoided them so far. It is annoying, lots of threads I am ignoring while I wait to be able to watch the game.

Didnt work for me either. Kept saying error. Tried to ignore the result but gave in and watched the highlights. 

Just now, Watchmen said:

So I guess Sportsnet or TSN did pick up the upcoming WCQ games? I'll admit I'm surprised, but glad the general public gets to watch and that I found out before subscribing to OneSoccer for the month.

Another big story is One Soccer picking up most of the rest of Concacaf WCQ

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

OK, so I am still seeing the game on OneSoccer's schedule. So Sportsnet is letting OneSoccer produce it, and OneSoccer gets to put it on their feed as well?

Exactly.

Almost looks like a F-U to TSN/RDS.

Olivier Brett from RDS was saying that initially MediaPro didn't want to share the feed.

Afterwards, they do business with Sportsnet paying them to advertise them and potentially push CPL/Canchamp/Concacaf league / CCL at the same time.

Very clever

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

OK, so I am still seeing the game on OneSoccer's schedule. So Sportsnet is letting OneSoccer produce it, and OneSoccer gets to put it on their feed as well?

Apparently yes.  13 games on Sportsnet and OneSoccer, 14th on TSN.  Don't know if that's on OneSoccer too.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Apparently yes.  13 games on Sportsnet and OneSoccer, 14th on TSN.  Don't know if that's on OneSoccer too.

So Sunday's game is the only one TSN got? 

Seems like TSN got the jump on OneSoccer for the USA game (maybe a better relationship with the US than OneSoccer has), maybe OneSoccer's counter measure was to partner and sell games to Sportsnet so they could use that money to outbid TSN for the rest. Assuming TSN was interested.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Seems like TSN got the jump on OneSoccer for the USA game (maybe a better relationship with the US than OneSoccer has), maybe OneSoccer's counter measure was to partner and sell games to Sportsnet so they could use that money to outbid TSN for the rest. Assuming TSN was interested.

Who knows? But the result is everyone wins - if you've cut cable and gone with OneSoccer, you'll get the games. But the casual fan can also watch as well via Sportsnet/TSN.

I'm going to be fascinated to see what the ratings are.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting that it happened at the very last minute like this. Looks like Mediapro's bean counters eventually made a decision to go with what was on offer from a traditional cable broadcaster based on the new subscriber numbers they were seeing.

Keep spinning it Ozzie.

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

TSN simply bought the rights from the USSF. In the US FS1 is broadcasting the game, so I wonder if TSN in this one off situation will simply show their feed or have their guys do the game?

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

Keep spinning it Ozzie.

LOL.  Well, someone had to  blink.  My speculation follows a differnet path.

Buy in now or buy in later the price is the same.  Get 13 Canada matches or get 9, the price is going to be the same because these matches are going to air with or without SportsNet.  And when it gets tight on the very crowded band wagon that Canada's WCQing campaign is going to become next week you'll be paying an ever increasing premium for seating.

Sure there was give and take, always is, but the deal is done and I'm suspect other content OneSoccer has for this tourney could become available for SportsNet down the road.  By that I mean not Canada fixtures.

Sport Business says SN is covering some production costs. So, maybe not that much of a deal. But enough to get Concacaf qualifiers and OneSoccer keeps on saying more to come. Will be interested in seeing how much OneSoccer gets to promote its offering on SN.

Maybe more driven by Canada Soccer to increase reach and increase major sponsors on board besides Toyota & Allstate.

Sport Business seems to say that TSN got rights to US home matches. Besides Canada match, I wonder how many will be shown on tv or just streamed.

Edited by red card

53 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Not sure all the fuss and conspiracy theories about SN buying rights.

Everyone has a price. At some point, if what one is offered exceeds the value to OneSoccer to having the game exclusive, then it's worth selling.

It would be as simple as SN offering more money (and/or production assistance) than TSN.

MAkes sense. Some times the most simple scenario - is actually what happened.

22 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting that it happened at the very last minute like this. Looks like Mediapro's bean counters eventually made a decision to go with what was on offer from a traditional cable broadcaster based on the new subscriber numbers they were seeing.

It is the exact practice of Mediapro in all contracts. You sell to a higher bidder if it can make you more money than the stream or cable you happen to offering, with whatever income stream it might have.