OneSoccer

Foreen

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yes, I was also counting women's soccer. The Grey Cup routinely hit over 65k for a while. I'm not sure any of the women's events would have been able to do that, because of the stadiums reducing capacity. But if you can find the stats I'd love to see it. I briefly looked but couldn't.

I'm not really debating this because it was an actual thing. If you want to look in to it it was during women's world cup, Canada mexico world cup qualifier, big crowd at the big O etc. You can look it up but keep in mind im going by memory. My point is if you put Soccer on the right platform it does extremely well in Canada. 

The larger point is ok.. Canadian mens soccer is so icky and embarrassing who would ever invest in that, fine. But if Bell, TSN, ESPN, MLSE.. if these people really about what they claim to be about instead of just virtue signaling and being phonies... put up $50 mil. Get a Canadian Womens league rolling. Theyve got more money than God. Trudeau dropped 200mil in their pockets to fly the flag. Come on.. don't talk about it, be about it

Edited by SpursFlu

37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

But if Bell, TSN, ESPN, MLSE.. if these people really about what they claim to be 

They claim to be corporations with the intent of making money, nothing more.  If you think they're supposed to be something more then that, that's on you.  Go vote NDP.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

The difference in price between the current and next TV contract will be steep. TV viewership has increased but pales in comparison to what the CFL does on a weekly basis and in the playoffs. TSN will most likely bid but I seriously doubt they break the bank or prioritize MLS at whatever prize they will be asking for over all the other items on their shopping list.

This is a purely business decision in the end. If buying marquee games for retention purposes or to maximize advertisement revenues (TFC vs MTL type of games over Cincinnati or Real Salt Lake) and that ends up being cheaper in the long run, that would also count as a sound business decision. Sure you pay a premium "a la carte" but you get to run a "lean" operation since you end up needing less staff - the firings were telling

As for Garber wanting to be on cable, most likely yes in the US but for Canada? I'm expecting a simple highest bidder scenario. You take what you can get because how much market penetration can you realistically get now that CPL is around? If they couldn't get the prairies, Atlantic and areas outside of the 3 metro areas (2/3 of this country) when there was no CPL, doubtful they'll do better now with the league having CCL berths as of 2023 and plugging the holes.

Get your money and take what you can get.

If they hold all the rights (North America) including CONCACAF, either the other channels pay you for marquee games to slow down people unsubscribing or cutting the cord (MTL vs TFC/ some CanChamp / some CCL / some Gold Cups / Nations League)

OR

they do nothing and MediaPro will see a sharp increase in subscriptions from fans wanting to keep following their MLS clubs while exposing them to CPL football which they might take a liking too #Added Value!

OR a little bit of both - and you control who can use your footage and realistically, they can't just start ignoring MLS too, not when Rogers and Bell needs media attention on their clubs.

Any of those scenarios is better the status quo - thus making the investment of paying a higher price upfront worth it in the long run...when a certain 2026 World Cup is around the corner. This is consistent with their approach with CPL

Soccer will be very hot approaching, during and after the world cup. Worth every extra pennies.

TSN will be in a different game like securing subsequent World Cups - Euros etc... much higher on their shopping list and way more expensive. Nothing stops them from getting games "a la carte" which is a foundation of MediaPro's business model.

That's just a sound business scenario and decisions will be based on that

Good question - I'd speculate that bars and restaurants have helped quite a bit. Expensive but I can't say I'm unhappy with the experience and being able to share with my father and friends.

Wow you seem to have some inside information from the looks of it  , ok . Well I guess we shall wait and see what happens in the end .

Edited by SoccMan

I find this debate really interesting and don’t really know how I feel.  I love One Soccer for giving our national teams and CPL sides a great platform and would happily pay double for the content.  But I just can’t see where MediaPro has the money to try and outbid TSN on MLS.  I think @Watchmenis right in that MLS will look very carefully at whatever dollars are thrown at them and by whom, especially if it’s from MediaPro. 

22 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I love what Vic said and impressed he said it. TSN cares about ESPN properties and MLSE that's it. For instance they act like Basketball is this great thing and represents the next generation of Canadians yet never a peep about CEBL which offers a great product for actual Canadians. Anyways I've gone on about this at nauseum leading up to the CPL launch. I just really doubt any qualifiers will be on TSN or Sportsnet now

So true. They just care about the properties they have the rights for. They arent a sports news station. They are a promotional vehicle for their own properties. Just look at how they are covering La Liga this year. They never used to care about Spanish football at all, but now that ESPN got the rights, I'm receiving push notifications to my phone!!

1 hour ago, masster said:

So true. They just care about the properties they have the rights for. They arent a sports news station. They are a promotional vehicle for their own properties. Just look at how they are covering La Liga this year. They never used to care about Spanish football at all, but now that ESPN got the rights, I'm receiving push notifications to my phone!!

I always think back to TFC's first years in MLS when the games were all on CBC and Sportsnet.  TSN pretended TFC didn't exist.  Then they got the rights and poof!  Coverage galore!

7 hours ago, masster said:

If fans didn't care about LaLiga before why should they care now? 

I miss the days when all we had was Soccer Made in Germany on PBS and we all learnt how to pronounce Moenchengladbach (and maybe even spell it). 

To the point:

I could make a rather long list of CSA uselessness, idiocy, de facto corruption, tolerance with local and provincial mafias, and even sexism. Including under Lord Vic. He's the typical case of a guy arriving in a new position where he does a few positive things, for sure, loses perspective and starts pontificating about things he's partially responsible for. 

His board was negligent filing the CSA financials even. They squandered revenue streams. 

Then we're supposed to forget he's in a post with a history of being one of the most corrupt in world football. Where structurally there is still a lot of garbage to be dealt with. 

If we had a TSN deal with the Cpl, at what, half a million a year, more, we would not have the CPL. 

IMO League women in Ontario is the right first step. Yes, it's not pro, but it's a solid ground, and produces players and constitutes an outlet I imagine. Which the CSA should be trying to repeat across the nation.

I'd be happy if from that a modest semipro league of 6 teams emerged in Ontario and Quebec. Atlético de Madrid would go in on it for sure. So would MediaPro. They've both said so.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 8/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, Watchmen said:

Also, quite frankly I think MLS wants to stay on cable. They want to be viewed as one of the "big" leagues, and that's where the big 4 are. Would they sell a package to MediaPro (or DAZN)? Absolutely. But I don't see them going to strictly streaming.

Interesting bit of news...

Knowing Americans, they surely view Canada as one big northern region

On 8/20/2021 at 11:52 AM, ted said:

I got Apple TV via the PS4 and then tried to do just that. It didn't work and I gave up and went back to my Laptop. Too many steps in the path I guess.

They need to get on cable and/or get their own app directly for smartTV's.

An idea here, as I used to do this on my Xbox One before owning a Roku: I was able to use the web browser on my console to play video through OneSoccer's website. Might be worth the try if you want the game on the big screen!

11 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^ I just use the browser on my SmartTV, works as well as OneSoccer does on the computer.  Dito with the game console.

MLS telecast rights at $75M per?  Don't know what chunk the league keeps but geez, not exactly a windfall once you slice what's left up 20+ ways is it?

Media Pro injected 20% of that per year into a CPL sharing 7 ways, or around 20% of the teams MLS has. 

It's pathetic considering what they charge for a franchise. 

Apologies if I am missing this being talked about elsewhere. Maybe it's not true either. Just saw on the V's facebook page talk that TSN is showing the USA vs Canada game by using the ESPN stream. 

If true only TSN could finally try and support Canada by pulling off a total dick move and paying the states for coverage rather than OneSoccer lol. 

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

MLS telecast rights at $75M per?  Don't know what chunk the league keeps but geez, not exactly a windfall once you slice what's left up 20+ ways is it?

That's regional though if I get this correctly

49 minutes ago, toontownman said:

If true only TSN could finally try and support Canada by pulling off a total dick move and paying the states for coverage rather than OneSoccer lol. 

If some people are into hearing Yanks talking about Pulisic like he's the next coming of Messi while putting down Canada for 90 minutes, be my guest.

Edited by Ansem

27 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's regional though if I get this correctly

I read "combined value of the regional TV package" as meaning the combined values of the various broadcast regions.  Especially taken in context with the desired elimination of local blackouts.

Don't know how accurate that number is.  Seems light but have no idea what sort of viewer numbers, combined numbers, MLS produces or even what those numbers should be worth but they're in A LOT of big markets.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Media Pro injected 20% of that per year into a CPL sharing 7 ways, or around 20% of the teams MLS has. 

It's pathetic considering what they charge for a franchise. 

The MediaPro deal is both cash "and services", while i would assume the various local MLS ones would be just cash (or would vary by market). The MediaPro deal also includes a large portion of national team games, so its not just the CPL here. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Apologies if I am missing this being talked about elsewhere. Maybe it's not true either. Just saw on the V's facebook page talk that TSN is showing the USA vs Canada game by using the ESPN stream. 

OneSoccer has apparently taken down their posting about the game. 

This is pretty hilarious that TSN pulled this off. They must have outbid One Soccer for the USA away game.

As it has been noted, One Soccer only has the rights to Canada's home WCQ. All the road games need to be negotiated with each separate FA.

So I wonder if TSN is going after other matches. In the October window we play Mexico and Jamaica away.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is pretty hilarious that TSN pulled this off. They must have outbid One Soccer for the USA away game.

As it has been noted, One Soccer only has the rights to Canada's home WCQ. All the road games need to be negotiated with each separate FA.

So I wonder if TSN is going after other matches. In the October window we play Mexico and Jamaica away.

Kind of hilarious that TSN would rather deal with all the other FA but Canada...

You can't make this up...