OneSoccer

Foreen

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I have seen the posts in the OneSoccer thread and I'm pretty sure that no where near that number of households could stream OneSoccer right to their smarTVs.

Yup, I don't know where he gets that idea but OneSoccer is not widely available that way. I would love to be able to watch it on my TV but am stuck using my laptop.

14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

One Soccer has an Apple TV app, makes watching on TV super easy.

I got Apple TV via the PS4 and then tried to do just that. It didn't work and I gave up and went back to my Laptop. Too many steps in the path I guess.

They need to get on cable and/or get their own app directly for smartTV's.

1 hour ago, ted said:

I got Apple TV via the PS4 and then tried to do just that. It didn't work and I gave up and went back to my Laptop. Too many steps in the path I guess.

They need to get on cable and/or get their own app directly for smartTV's.

Sorry, I meant an Apple TV device, not the app. And I meant the One Soccer app.

The device is $235. Plug it in, connect the HDMI to your TV, download the One Soccer app, login. That's pretty simple. 

So if it's certain things everyone needs to blindly get behind it, throw all there money at it and pretend to enjoy it or shame on them. If its other things, it doesn't deserve the time of day. Things like a team playing the most popular participation sport in the country, playing the most popular sport in the world, trying to qualify for the most popular sporting event in the world. K got it

When people were still pushing this nobody cares because we suck attitude. Wasn't like 7 of the 10 highest attended events in Canada soccer games

And for this dumsky, the reason there was Unattached fc was because we couldn't have a national league because TSN wouldn't back it because we couldnt possibly have anyone eat MLSE and TFCs lunch aka the entire buffet

Edited by SpursFlu

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

When people were still pushing this nobody cares because we suck attitude. Wasn't like 7 of the 10 highest attended events in Canada soccer games

I would guess no, because the Grey Cup would hit attendance figures unreachable by soccer. The Women's World Cup final was at about 53k, which means it was behind the first Heritage Classic hockey game in Edmonton.

Prediction - MediaPro will be gunning for the Canadian rights to MLS...hard.

If/when they get those - shit will get real and the networks will have no choice but to deal with them.

I think that's their end game. They might even launch a channel (like they previously said they would) if this is what it takes to get MLS

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Prediction - MediaPro will be gunning for the Canadian rights to MLS...hard.

If/when they get those - shit will get real and the networks will have no choice but to deal with them.

I think that's their end game. They might even launch a channel (like they previously said they would) if this is what it takes to get MLS

I still think TSN will win them back.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

I still think TSN will win them back.

It's possible but let's not forget that the previous MLS contract was worth peanuts.

The league will be seeking a huge increase in price and not that TSN, RDS, TVA or Sportsnet wouldn't be interested but if you look at the order on their shopping list MLS can't be that high on the list

• NHL, CHL, IIHF etc
  • CFL
  • NFL
  • NBA
  • Formula 1 / Nascar etc...
  • Tennis
  • Golf
  • MMA
  • Wrestling
  • Curling
  • NCAA
  • La Liga
  • World Cup, Olympics

Also...

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/mls-tv-rights-deal-2022-espn-fox-univision

• According to the Sports Business Journal (SBJ), the US and Canada’s top soccer league has told all of its clubs to ensure none of its local rights agreements go beyond 2022, the year when MLS’ national and international TV deals expire.
  • The new wholesale media strategy is designed to give MLS the strongest possible package of broadcast options to take to market, with the league apparently seeking to fund the next wave of growth and investment across the organisation and its clubs.

Meaning, MLS is looking to get paid - most likely to the highest bidder and won't do "discounts" even to Rogers/Bell who owns MLSE who have no relations with Montreal and Vancouver clubs. I think MediaPro throws ridiculous amount of cash at MLS to secure the rights while the other networks must accounts for leagues and international events rights for other sports.

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It's possible but let's not forget that the previous MLS contract was worth peanuts.

The league will be seeking a huge increase in price and not that TSN, RDS, TVA or Sportsnet wouldn't be interested but if you look at the order on their shopping list MLS can't be that high on the list

• NHL, CHL, IIHF etc
  • CFL
  • NFL
  • NBA
  • Formula 1 / Nascar etc...
  • Tennis
  • Golf
  • MMA
  • Wrestling
  • Curling
  • NCAA
  • La Liga
  • World Cup, Olympics

Also...

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/mls-tv-rights-deal-2022-espn-fox-univision

• According to the Sports Business Journal (SBJ), the US and Canada’s top soccer league has told all of its clubs to ensure none of its local rights agreements go beyond 2022, the year when MLS’ national and international TV deals expire.
  • The new wholesale media strategy is designed to give MLS the strongest possible package of broadcast options to take to market, with the league apparently seeking to fund the next wave of growth and investment across the organisation and its clubs.

Meaning, MLS is looking to get paid - most likely to the highest bidder and won't do "discounts" even to Rogers/Bell who owns MLSE who have no relations with Montreal and Vancouver clubs. I think MediaPro throws ridiculous amount of cash at MLS to secure the rights while the other networks must accounts for leagues and international events rights for other sports.

The last time MediaPro threw "ridiculous cash" at a league they broke the contract immediately. MediaPro's whole business has been to buy league rights and resell them. We've already seen that TSN/Sportsnet are unlikely to do so. That leaves them with operating a streaming service, and I'm not convinced that's what they actually want to do.

Also, quite frankly I think MLS wants to stay on cable. They want to be viewed as one of the "big" leagues, and that's where the big 4 are. Would they sell a package to MediaPro (or DAZN)? Absolutely. But I don't see them going to strictly streaming.

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The last time MediaPro threw "ridiculous cash" at a league they broke the contract immediately. MediaPro's whole business has been to buy league rights and resell them.

MLS isn't Ligue 1 - lots of cash in the "North American soccer context"

MediaPro's whole business has been to buy league rights and resell them. We've already seen that TSN/Sportsnet are unlikely to do so. That leaves them with operating a streaming service, and I'm not convinced that's what they actually want to do.

That's the whole point of getting MLS - they are more likely to buy games from MediaPro to not have people unsubscribe/cut the cord if they can get all Canadian NT, Canadian MLS, CPL, CONCACAF, WCQ, Liga MX and others in one single place.

Right now, the others holds MLS games, they have little reason to buy from MediaPro

Also, quite frankly I think MLS wants to stay on cable. They want to be viewed as one of the "big" leagues, and that's where the big 4 are. Would they sell a package to MediaPro (or DAZN)? Absolutely. But I don't see them going to strictly streaming.

Money talks - hence EPL & Champions League on DAZN.

Does he wants to be on cable in the US? ABSOLUTELY - not sure he cares about that here. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think Garber lose sleep over MLS games being on cable in Canada or not - as long as he's getting compensated for what he thinks it's worth.

Edited by Ansem

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MLS isn't Ligue 1 - lots of cash in the "North American soccer context"

Exactly how much do you think MediaPro is going to pay in order to:

a) Outbid TSN and making it worth it to MLS to leave cable (I'm aware you don't think Garber cares as much about Canada but he'd still prefer to be on cable)

b) Make it financially worth while to MediaPro to do this

I've always been curious if the EPL/Champions League gamble has been worth it to DAZN. 

There is an assumption that most people have a cable subscription in Canada that has all the TSN and Sportsnet channels that would likely show any Canada Soccer games. This is not true. There are less and less people with cable TV every year let alone the premium Sports channels. Those that have the premium sports channels are buying them for the Sports they already like. These are not the people who will up and change their interests.

It is more likely that the younger demographic will choose to watch a lot of soccer on their TV. This is who Canada Soccer should be targeting. This demographic is more likely to have an internet connected TV. These people would be more likely to purchase a streaming service than pay cable companies a lot of money, book an appointment to have the cable guy come by and turn on their cable and also rent their hardware to watch these channels.

4 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

There is an assumption that most people have a cable subscription in Canada that has all the TSN and Sportsnet channels that would likely show any Canada Soccer games. This is not true. There are less and less people with cable TV every year let alone the premium Sports channels. Those that have the premium sports channels are buying them for the Sports they already like. These are not the people who will up and change their interests.

It is more likely that the younger demographic will choose to watch a lot of soccer on their TV. This is who Canada Soccer should be targeting. This demographic is more likely to have an internet connected TV. These people would be more likely to purchase a streaming service than pay cable companies a lot of money, book an appointment to have the cable guy come by and turn on their cable and also rent their hardware to watch these channels.

Are they more likely to buy the service or find some place streaming to for free?

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Are they more likely to buy the service or find some place streaming to for free?

Most people are willing to pay for a quality experience. This applies to streaming or cable. Both are available streaming free somewhere.

Edited by Ruffian

3 hours ago, ted said:

We are having a hard enough time getting to people to pay the OneSoccer subscription. Now they gotta pay for AppleTV as well? That's not simple. ;)

$200+ for Apple? Good grief.

Roku also supports it, and it starts at about $40.

Samsung and TCL TVs also support the OneSoccer app (using Apple TV and Roku respectively for their smartness).

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I would guess no, because the Grey Cup would hit attendance figures unreachable by soccer. The Women's World Cup final was at about 53k, which means it was behind the first Heritage Classic hockey game in Edmonton.

I was counting women's soccer. My point was soccer in Canada had the highest attendance 7 out of 10 or something similar

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

a) Outbid TSN and making it worth it to MLS to leave cable (I'm aware you don't think Garber cares as much about Canada but he'd still prefer to be on cable)

The difference in price between the current and next TV contract will be steep. TV viewership has increased but pales in comparison to what the CFL does on a weekly basis and in the playoffs. TSN will most likely bid but I seriously doubt they break the bank or prioritize MLS at whatever prize they will be asking for over all the other items on their shopping list.

This is a purely business decision in the end. If buying marquee games for retention purposes or to maximize advertisement revenues (TFC vs MTL type of games over Cincinnati or Real Salt Lake) and that ends up being cheaper in the long run, that would also count as a sound business decision. Sure you pay a premium "a la carte" but you get to run a "lean" operation since you end up needing less staff - the firings were telling

As for Garber wanting to be on cable, most likely yes in the US but for Canada? I'm expecting a simple highest bidder scenario. You take what you can get because how much market penetration can you realistically get now that CPL is around? If they couldn't get the prairies, Atlantic and areas outside of the 3 metro areas (2/3 of this country) when there was no CPL, doubtful they'll do better now with the league having CCL berths as of 2023 and plugging the holes.

Get your money and take what you can get.

b) Make it financially worth while to MediaPro to do this

If they hold all the rights (North America) including CONCACAF, either the other channels pay you for marquee games to slow down people unsubscribing or cutting the cord (MTL vs TFC/ some CanChamp / some CCL / some Gold Cups / Nations League)

OR

they do nothing and MediaPro will see a sharp increase in subscriptions from fans wanting to keep following their MLS clubs while exposing them to CPL football which they might take a liking too #Added Value!

OR a little bit of both - and you control who can use your footage and realistically, they can't just start ignoring MLS too, not when Rogers and Bell needs media attention on their clubs.

Any of those scenarios is better the status quo - thus making the investment of paying a higher price upfront worth it in the long run...when a certain 2026 World Cup is around the corner. This is consistent with their approach with CPL

Soccer will be very hot approaching, during and after the world cup. Worth every extra pennies.

TSN will be in a different game like securing subsequent World Cups - Euros etc... much higher on their shopping list and way more expensive. Nothing stops them from getting games "a la carte" which is a foundation of MediaPro's business model.

That's just a sound business scenario and decisions will be based on that

I've always been curious if the EPL/Champions League gamble has been worth it to DAZN. 

Good question - I'd speculate that bars and restaurants have helped quite a bit. Expensive but I can't say I'm unhappy with the experience and being able to share with my father and friends.

Edited by Ansem

8 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I was counting women's soccer. My point was soccer in Canada had the highest attendance 7 out of 10 or something similar

Yes, I was also counting women's soccer. The Grey Cup routinely hit over 65k for a while. I'm not sure any of the women's events would have been able to do that, because of the stadiums reducing capacity. But if you can find the stats I'd love to see it. I briefly looked but couldn't.

40 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Do you think OneSoccer is giving people a quality experience? The comments section on this board continously seems to indicate thats not the case.

DAZN isn't perfect either.

Onesoccer used to give me problems and they gave me tips to fix it. Something about the ISP that might be causing the crashes and they recommended that I try using a VPN  and it worked at the time. Since then, much better than in 2019.

Growing pains, but the price is right

17 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They should be showing CPL highlights now, they should have the scores on their crawl, etc etc etc.  I can see stories about and follow Series A, League 1, all sorts of leagues they dont carry and check the game summaries etc etc, but they only mention the CPL by accident.  This is the 3rd season..grow the fuck up TSN.

TSN " Canada's Sport Leader". What a joke.