OneSoccer

Foreen

7 hours ago, Kent said:

...But you keep crying about the moratorium and lamenting the loss of Vancouver's second team that could have been in Calgary...

You are still twisting what I have written to build strawman arguments. I haven't questioned the concept that those actions by the CSA will ultimately have been worth it if CanPL works and is sustainable long term. The jury is still out on whether that actually will be the ultimate outcome though because there are major challenges ahead. For example, the new MLS Next league that was announced today has the potential to take another 40 or so top young Canadian prospects out of circulation in CanPL terms if they are not able to be competitive with the Whitecaps and CFdeM on salaries.

It would take 150,000 subscribers for Onesoccer to recoup the originally rumoured "investment" of ca. $15 million p.a. with a $100 subscription. It would be interesting to find out what the subscription numbers are like and whether Mediapro misread the market to the extent they did with Ligue 1 in France. In the probable absence of a significant rights fee to CanPL they can no doubt cut their cloth according to the number of subscribers they do attract unlike the French scenario so there doesn't appear to be any imminent danger of the deal collapsing but just as is the case with the CanPL investors they will ultimately have to start receiving some bang for their buck in the latter portion of the initial ten years.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, RS said:

It's more likely an indication that they've suddenly got an in-demand product (Canada in the Ocho).

Econ 101.

Unless they're also planning to raise their monthly rates (and right now they haven't), it's financially better to get just the months with Canada games in them. Gold Cup plus Sept, Oct, Nov, Jan, Mar qualifiers is $60.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, Aird25 said:

I know many disagree, but I'm grateful OneSoccer provides such comprehensive coverage of the sport in Canada. I don't remember ever having this previously, and I have to think that if everyone would buy in it would become the norm

Despite being a subscriber since It started, I have to admit that it is only lately I have started regularly watching OS Today.  I am enjoying the value-add.  

I watch every episode of OneSoccer, I have since the March World Cup Qualifiers I think. I have to admit though that I skip the European soccer talk. Not because I don't value their opinions or anything, it's just not what I am there for and I don't really care a whole lot about the club or international game there anymore.

Now to contradict myself a bit, I was watching the Euro's yesterday on TSN's website, and I have to say I loved that you could watch both games at the same time in the same window. You could click on either one to have the sound come instantly for that one instead of the other. I don't subscribe to DAZN or any other sports streaming, so I have no idea if this is pretty standard, but it would be great if OneSoccer could get to that level. I don't know if they have non-Canada Gold Cup games, but it would be cool if you could watch 2 games at once when they are finishing up the group stage.

55 minutes ago, Kent said:

I watch every episode of OneSoccer, I have since the March World Cup Qualifiers I think. I have to admit though that I skip the European soccer talk. Not because I don't value their opinions or anything, it's just not what I am there for and I don't really care a whole lot about the club or international game there anymore.

Now to contradict myself a bit, I was watching the Euro's yesterday on TSN's website, and I have to say I loved that you could watch both games at the same time in the same window. You could click on either one to have the sound come instantly for that one instead of the other. I don't subscribe to DAZN or any other sports streaming, so I have no idea if this is pretty standard, but it would be great if OneSoccer could get to that level. I don't know if they have non-Canada Gold Cup games, but it would be cool if you could watch 2 games at once when they are finishing up the group stage.

I think it differs how you are watching app/browser and desktop. Dazn for instance has a bunch of stats, the team lines ups etc in a drop down menu. One Soccer is at least a decade behind in that regard. Hopefully the spend some money on it because it is what is holding back a lot of people sticking with it. 

Completely agree with the Euro league talk. Its not why I tune into OneSoccer but I get why they do it. 

I think I've said this before, but if anybody from OneSoccer happens to be lurking on this forum, they could do much worse than having a look at what Optus Sports is doing here in Australia and trying to replicate that product. With my Optus subscription, I can watch Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, J-League, Women's Super League, Euros, and Copa America. But the best thing is how all of these properties are available. I can watch any match live, or if I don't, I can watch 3- or 10-minute highlight packages within an hour of full-time. For the big matches, they'll even do a 24-minute package. With most European football being played in the middle of the night here, you can also wake up in the morning and watch the Goal Rush program, which shows you only the goals scored in the night's matches. I can watch all of this on my TV through the Fetch box, which was included free when I took my home internet from Optus, or on my laptop, tablet, or phone. The webpage and app have a 'spoiler alert' function, so that you can set it to never show any results before you've watched the matches or highlights.

When Optus scooped the Premier League rights away from Fox Sports here 5 years ago, they were a bit of a disaster. Their first major test was the '16 Euros, and their servers kept crashing to the point where they had to give the games to SBS, a free-to-air TV channel for free to ensure that people could actually watch. However, within a couple of years, they've managed to create almost the perfect platform for watching football.

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Somewhat surprised there has been no announcement regarding CBC airing this season or did I miss it?

Seems a bit late in the day in terms of promoting it on CBC, maybe it's not happening this year which would be a big blow imo. 

Maybe they are happy with the subscriptions that the CMNT positive news has generated? Or maybe CBC isn't interested until after the Olympics are over?

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Maybe they are happy with the subscriptions that the CMNT positive news has generated? Or maybe CBC isn't interested until after the Olympics are over?

Seemed like a longer term partnership and certainly one that was growing year to year. Good call on the olympics, quite possible they didn't want to pay just to stream it or maybe OneSoccer bumped up their demands who knows. Still hope they work something out. The reach of CBC is an absolute win for the league. Just give us a Soccer Night In Canada weekly highlights show. 

Ypu see all the belly aching on line about cmnt qualifiers only being on Onesoccer. So if they do really well in Gold Cup and the momentum grows. Then they start qualifiers with a few good results. It would be interesting to see how Onesoccer subscriptions grow. I guess that's the whole purpose investing in a property like the cmnt. its not a proven commodity like uefa or epl but if it hits, the upside could be huge. Imagine it comes down to a game and if they win they qualify for the World Cup? The new subscribers leading up to that game would be a jackpot for all involved 

Edited by SpursFlu

Media Pro always has the philosophy to sell rights for key games to other channels, it is a foundation of their business. They did it first year in CPL, and I am quite sure they'll try to do it again for WCQ. I think the Canadian channels would be dumb to not pick up a few matches of CPL and then find their way to some of the bigger matches in WCQ, considering the interest and the hype at the moment. Even if the women do well in Tokyo that will raise interest overall.

They may even sell visual feeds to some of our rivals, unless the productions for tv are standardised in Concacaf and outsourced, not sure how that goes.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Media Pro always has the philosophy to sell rights for key games to other channels, it is a foundation of their business. They did it first year in CPL, and I am quite sure they'll try to do it again for WCQ. I think the Canadian channels would be dumb to not pick up a few matches of CPL and then find their way to some of the bigger matches in WCQ, considering the interest and the hype at the moment. Even if the women do well in Tokyo that will raise interest overall.

They may even sell visual feeds to some of our rivals, unless the productions for tv are standardised in Concacaf and outsourced, not sure how that goes.

I dislike Onesoccer and don't subscribe to it.  Fortunately TSN is showing the Copa America.

I'm noticing that Come On! is sponsoring a match of the week for the Kickoff (and presumably the rest of the season). I'm glad to see them more involved than just as a kit sponsor, and wondering now if this might be a sign that they're "presenting" said match on a national broadcast other than One Soccer. I've been checking CBC, CTV, Sportsnet, etc. as others here have done and not seeing anything, but who knows. 

https://canpl.ca/schedule

EDIT: Apparently this was already captured in the original press release for the partnership and I just missed it. So don't mind me. :)

https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-partnership-with-comeon 

Edited by m-g-williams

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm noticing that Come On! is sponsoring a match of the week for the Kickoff (and presumably the rest of the season). I'm glad to see them more involved than just as a kit sponsor, and wondering now if this might be a sign that they're "presenting" said match on a national broadcast other than One Soccer. I've been checking CBC, CTV, Sportsnet, etc. as others here have done and not seeing anything, but who knows. 

https://canpl.ca/schedule

EDIT: Apparently this was already captured in the original press release for the partnership and I just missed it. So don't mind me. :)

https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-partnership-with-comeon 

All the sponsors just have to be desperately keen to get their logos on national tv, it is totally logical. Social media or a pic in a local paper could not be enough beyond the OneSoccer viewers. 

If VW is buying ads for the Eurocup, maybe they would even have the wherewithall to suggest CPL as an option to those channels they are paying ad money to.

20 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think I've said this before, but if anybody from OneSoccer happens to be lurking on this forum, they could do much worse than having a look at what Optus Sports is doing here in Australia and trying to replicate that product. With my Optus subscription, I can watch Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, J-League, Women's Super League, Euros, and Copa America. But the best thing is how all of these properties are available. I can watch any match live, or if I don't, I can watch 3- or 10-minute highlight packages within an hour of full-time. For the big matches, they'll even do a 24-minute package. With most European football being played in the middle of the night here, you can also wake up in the morning and watch the Goal Rush program, which shows you only the goals scored in the night's matches. I can watch all of this on my TV through the Fetch box, which was included free when I took my home internet from Optus, or on my laptop, tablet, or phone. The webpage and app have a 'spoiler alert' function, so that you can set it to never show any results before you've watched the matches or highlights.

When Optus scooped the Premier League rights away from Fox Sports here 5 years ago, they were a bit of a disaster. Their first major test was the '16 Euros, and their servers kept crashing to the point where they had to give the games to SBS, a free-to-air TV channel for free to ensure that people could actually watch. However, within a couple of years, they've managed to create almost the perfect platform for watching football.

DAZN Canada offers similar features. But they have been around a bit longer than OneSoccer. Their first year with just NFL was a disaster in terms of streaming quality. Now, the platform is basically stable. And smart tvs have the DAZN app available. It will probably take OneSoccer at least another year to add more functionality. 

Rights wise, before OneSoccer even launched, DAZN took over Premier & Champions League but the 3 big tournaments are still on tv along with the other top 4 leagues. MLS & Serie A are both on DAZN and tv. So, OneSoccer's focus has largely been Concacaf oriented.

Has anyone else's OneSoccer accounts once again expired? Mine is supposed to in August 2021 but I can't log in anymore and it tells me I need to sign up again.

edit: Looks like I had to re-up. Ah well.

Edited by VinceA

Trying to watch the Edmonton/Ottawa match.  Feed keeps stopping every few minutes.  Error message sometimes displayed: "This video file cannot be played. (Error Code: 232001)".  I have to reload the page to get the stream working again.  Very annoying!

This was happening occasionally when watching the WCQ but now much more frequent.

1 hour ago, ray said:

Trying to watch the Edmonton/Ottawa match.  Feed keeps stopping every few minutes.  Error message sometimes displayed: "This video file cannot be played. (Error Code: 232001)".  I have to reload the page to get the stream working again.  Very annoying!

This was happening occasionally when watching the WCQ but now much more frequent.

Mine has been perfect today, and that is over an iPhone cast to Apple TV (1st half) and a laptop using the website (2nd half).