OneSoccer

Foreen

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With all due respect, I read your posts and have never blocked you, and do not usually find your posting as irritating or off the mark as many do here. But these kinds of ranty posts you are onto lately are the sort that get written in cramped handwriting on a little piece of graph paper, and are then taped to the nearest bus shelter in the neighbourhood. 

What is the point of posting like you haven't taken your meds when you are perfectly fine and don't need medication?

Payback for contradicting you a little bit about Sam Adekugbe's contract status in another thread? I don't see how clarifying a few obscure points of recent Canadian soccer history can reasonably be described as a rant. The CSA did what they did where CanPL is concerned and that meant a lot of others things that could have happened more quickly instead on pro level soccer teams didn't. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. It would be nice to see the league develop into something that was well worth the wait. Halifax provides definite reasons for hope. Some of the other markets not so much so far.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

19 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

L1O is almost entirely amateur for NCAA eligibility reasons so difficult to see how that's relevant.

It is interesting that you dismiss L1O yet praise and push the PDL when it has the exactly same criteria. Canada is building a solid foundation L1O, PLSQ, BC3 and the D2,  not to mention the great strides made by the CPL despite having in reality only one season played.  2020 can't be called a season.  The time will come when a large portion of Canada's pool will have passed through the CPL, be patient.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

10 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Payback for contradicting you a little bit about Sam Adekugbe's contract status in another thread? I don't see how clarifying a few obscure points of recent Canadian soccer history can reasonably be described as a rant. The CSA did what they did where CanPL is concerned and that meant a lot of others things that could have happened more quickly instead on pro level soccer teams didn't. It would be nice to see the league develop into something that was well worth the wait. Halifax provides definite reasons for hope. Some of the other markets not so much so far.

You still have not answered to your outrageous claim that the CSA has had a moratorium on Canadian entrants into US leagues since 2010.

We all know this was a more recent phenomena tied to the CPL getting closer to inception.

29 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

It is interesting that you dismiss L1O yet praise and push the PDL when it has the exactly same criteria...

Neither of them are particularly relevant to the question of a fully pro level league like the USL Championship (which has grown out of the D3 USL Pro that London, Victoria and Hamilton groups were said to be interested in back in 2010) or CanPL (which is the product of the moratorium that was imposed at that time to nip that in the bud) as both are largely amateur for NCAA compliance reasons.

If I've been praising and pushing anything lately it's the proposed "D2" that Edmonton Scottish etc are involved with. A Made in Canada version of PDL is something that should have happened a long time ago in line with what the Easton Report recommended.

If conditions are ripe and it's sustainable long term I have zero problem with a domestic coast-to-coast D1. The jury is still out on that. Unlike many people I'm actually quite upbeat about the way they have downsized from what was being talked about in 2017 and 2018, which seemed farfetched to me and a recipe for another one season and done fiasco like the 1983 CPSL. What I'd like to see now is more of a focus on and trust in the domestic player pool from them and less of a focus on all these overseas U23 players signed through or approved by a player agency.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Neither of them are particularly relevant to the question of a fully pro level league like the USL Championship (which has grown out of the D3 USL Pro that London, Victoria and Hamilton groups were said to be interested in back in 2010) or CanPL (which is the product of the moratorium that was imposed at that time to nip that in the bud) as both are largely amateur for NCAA compliance reasons.

If I've been praising and pushing anything lately it's the proposed "D2" that Edmonton Scottish etc are involved with. A Made in Canada version of PDL is something that should have happened a long time ago in line with what the Easton Report recommended.

If conditions are ripe and it's sustainable long term I have zero problem with a domestic coast-to-coast D1. The jury is still out on that. Unlike many people I'm actually quite upbeat about the way they have downsized from what was being talked about in 2017 and 2018, which seemed farfetched to me and a recipe for another one season and done fiasco like the 1983 CPSL. What I'd like to see now is more of a focus on and trust in the domestic player pool from them and less of a focus on all these overseas U23 players signed through or approved by a player agency.

L1O and PLSQ aren't relevant, but a moratorium against American leagues from 10+ years ago is relevant in a OneSoccer thread? Besides, you like to point out how the MLS teams end up playing a part in developing players that end up in CPL. L1O and PLSQ do that for CPL as well (and the national team).

Besides, that proposed D2 league that you are praising is already massively disappointing. There weren't any players from it listed on the 60 man Gold Cup roster. That's terrible optics for the proposed league. Besides, I don't think Edmonton Scottish will be able to get 5000 paid attendance to make them viable, but I don't have any screenshots from past games to count the number of people there, and even then probably most of the people there were comped the tickets. They should probably look to move out of Edmonton to somewhere more like Red Deer which is more inline with the CHL type of market rather than an NHL/CFL market.

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No moratorium and there would be no CanPL and no Onesoccer. The rest I won't dignify with a response.

Another proof of how much this man hates himself...

Canada DARING to have it's own independent league and trying to develop it's own football infrastructure?

tenor.gif

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Are you seriously going to argue we would be better off with a Whitecaps farm team in Calgary instead of Cavalry?

He is...

to him, the whole country should have had clubs in USL being glorified feeding teams to the "MLS mighty trinity".

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

Are you seriously going to argue we would be better off with a Whitecaps farm team in Calgary instead of Cavalry?

No, he's arguing that we would be better off with a Whitecaps farm team in Calgary instead of having the entire CPL. And we would be better off with having London and KW in the PDL than having the entire L1O. And presumably we would be better off watching the national team on dodgy illegal streams than having OneSoccer with half hour pre and post game shows, not to mention their talk show coverage as well.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

No, he's arguing that we would be better off with a Whitecaps farm team in Calgary instead of having the entire CPL. And we would be better off with having London and KW in the PDL than having the entire L1O. And presumably we would be better off watching the national team on dodgy illegal streams than having OneSoccer with half hour pre and post game shows, not to mention their talk show coverage as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather he's also arguing that OneSoccer must be concerned that CPL players weren't selected for a tournament that takes place at the precise time the CPL, the only league it has exclusive rights to, is kicking off it's third season in a strict bubble tournament where a large portion of the season is going to be played. He expects players who haven't played a game in 10 months, and only 7 in the past 2 years, to be pulled away from very important club matches for their careers when our pool is deeper than ever domestically and internationally. Conveniently ignoring the pandemic, the fact that the CPL has already contributed players to full and youth national team squads, and that it's quite common for even top footballing nations to select few players from their domestic player pool. And it's all in support of a narrative he's single handedly held for over a decade despite all the contrary evidence

21 minutes ago, Metro said:

A OneSoccer post in a OneSoccer thread??? You so crazy!!!

Seriously, I wonder if this is an indication of subs increasing.

It's more likely an indication that they've suddenly got an in-demand product (Canada in the Ocho).

Econ 101.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Strawman after strawman. Haven't argued any of those things. 

I admit, you weren't able to connect all those dots I connected for you. But you keep crying about the moratorium and lamenting the loss of Vancouver's second team that could have been in Calgary. Wishing if only the CSA didn't foolishly prevent that move from happening, and prevent London and KW from joining the USL or PDL or whatever those leagues are called these days, then maybe just maybe we would be better off, despite the fact that those things would weaken if not kill off the CPL before it began, and weaken L1O as well. I think probably L1O already existed before London and KW wanted to go to whatever league, but I don't really know, so maybe in that case you are OK with L1O existing without London. My apologies. As for OneSoccer, you did admit that if there is no CPL, there wouldn't be OneSoccer.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No moratorium and there would be no CanPL and no Onesoccer. 

If that's how you see it, then just finally come out and say which side you support: more US franchises and farm teams based in Canada, or a Canadian league of Canadian clubs. The rest of us are pretty damn clear where our loyalties lie, and we don't need convoluted responses and selective reading skills to explain them. 

Edited by m-g-williams