OneSoccer

Foreen

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

When Canada finally beat the US, there was a ton of news around it and a lot of talk on this forum about "making TSN and Sportsnet pay big time for the rematch". And neither of them bothered to step up and do so.

TSN and Sportsnet would care about the US and Mexico games (maybe, depending on how the first games go) and any potential clinching game. Sorry, but they wouldn't care at all about Costa Rica or Honduras or any of the other smaller country games. They sure as hell don't want to devote 14 time slots to it all. If they wanted any of this, they would have stayed on board in the first place.

TSN's focus, even pre-COVID, has been elsewhere, especially the NBA of late.  To me, they really want that GTA-raised player to emerge as a bona fide top 10 NBA player and they can further market around that.  (When Andrew Wiggins was drafted first overall I joked at the time that TSN would become the TAWSN because everything would revolve around marketing this guy, even if he was in Minny).  And they really want that guy to be with the Raptors. 

I agree that TSN would only be interested in big time matches (USA, Mexico, a clinching game, "sexy" friendlies against big time opposition and players).  Anything else probably wouldn't do it.  CNL matches vs minnows would definitely be abhorred: they would get more interest from a repeat broadcast in summer time of Overdrive where the panel whines about the Leafs' underachievement.

TSN and Onesoccer could make a deal for Octagonal coverage. TSN does have the WC so it would make sense. The problem is I bet Onesoccer would want their production and finger prints all over the broadcastvand TSN would likely have none of that. Companies like Bell/TSN do not play well with others

1 hour ago, narduch said:

TSN will not care.

They have the Euros and have not shown a single lead up friendly.

They also haven't shown a single European WC qualifier. Both were easy pickups as UEFA provides top notch end-to-end production of all matches. In the past, they would at least put it on tsn.ca.

If TLN could afford to show a few WC qualifiers, you would think TSN can also. But maybe not with all the cost cutting Bell Media has been doing.

SN is hampered by overpaying for NHL and owning the Jays. So, they have also relegated soccer to the second division.

1 hour ago, red card said:

They also haven't shown a single European WC qualifier. Both were easy pickups as UEFA provides top notch end-to-end production of all matches. In the past, they would at least put it on tsn.ca.

If TLN could afford to show a few WC qualifiers, you would think TSN can also. But maybe not with all the cost cutting Bell Media has been doing.

SN is hampered by overpaying for NHL and owning the Jays. So, they have also relegated soccer to the second division.

I wish OneSoccer would grab some WC qualifiers from other regions

BTW, what happened to the Euro preview show that was scheduled on TSN around mid-day. I tried to watch in on my PVR, but it was just SportsCentre or whatever it's called ...

Would be easier if I could actually find a schedule on TSN's website ... or if they stuck to the information they told the cable companies yesterday.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

BTW, what happened to the Euro preview show that was scheduled on TSN around mid-day. I tried to watch in on my PVR, but it was just SportsCentre or whatever it's called ...

Would be easier if I could actually find a schedule on TSN's website ... or if they stuck to the information they told the cable companies yesterday.

Same as tonight. TSN1 says Columbia v Ecuador. Nope, same NBA game that is on TSN4. 

Edited by gwsmith63

Rant Alert

All the EURO highlights on OneSoccer are "courtesy of TSN".

Don't know if there's something more to read into that other than TSN  making vids available for promotional purposes.  But could be.  Or not.  Don't know. 

Further up the topic the "TSN doesn't care." about Canada's WCQ campaign argument was made but I just can't see how they wouldn't.  Sure, if Canada kills itself off early I could see a loss of interest but that isn't going to happen.  The schedule hints at all sorts of exciting narritives.  And it's a tale.  Not a short story.  Not a one-off Sunday Night Movie.  The village idiot could write in the high drama WCQ provides to live television.  Who doesn't want a piece of that?

And it will all be happening in TSN's backyard.  Their primary target market.  

I would suggest one of the biggest hinderances to the footie community in Canada, so far as the main stream media is concerned, is that it is a fragmented marketplace.  Always has been.  MLS has done well in bringing some of those shards together but even within those MLS markets that footballing community is still very fractured. 

A competitive Canadian Mens National Team fighting for a place in the World Cup Finals would be a unifying event for that sizable but fragmented football community the likes of which was never been seen.  Ever.

And I'll repeat myself because I think this point is important, that event would be happening from international window to international window over a year long calender.  It's not shutting up shop after one match.

So I'm inclinded not to dismiss the ability to draw interest in those matches, home or away, against Canada's opponents in the Octo that aren't the USA or Mexico.  This will be bigger than that. 

OneSoccer always banked on this scenario happening.  How they best capitalize on it is above my pay scale.  But I can tell you this.  My TSN sports package costs me roughly $25 a month.  Same as is did probably 15 years ago.  I spent $45 a month for my soccer streams.  Which is $45 greater a month than I spent 10 years ago.

I'll let you figure it out from there.  

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Smartest move is CBC. The partnrship is there. Have the home games there, away on OneSoccer. Ideally all on CBC for exposure but that would keep the draw for One Soccer. 

The relationship is already there with CBC. Fuck TSN.

The problem with CBC is they seem to only be interested in Saturday or Sunday afternoon sports.

Does anyone know if Twitter has some sort of compensation program for users that produce influential/widely-viewed content, like Youtube does? One Soccer's clip of the Haiti own goal is already at nearly three million views, and it's not even twelve hours old. If One Soccer could get a few coppers from things like this, that would be a nice bonus. 

In the absence of actual subscription/viewership metrics from One Soccer itself, I've been more and more curious about their presence on other platforms. It's been really interesting to see their followers increase with the WCQ and CCL matches, not to mention their viewership. I'm seeing a lot more views of their One Soccer Today clips than they were getting even a few months ago, so hopefully this will translate into more eyes on the CPL come the 26th. 

Edited by m-g-williams

I haven't been to the in match thread yet, but did the feed drop for anyone at all last night? For me it was perfect until the 87th minute. I got it back up 5 minutes later, missed the Hoilett goal.

I hope they can get a lot more subscriptions now, but if they do they also need a lot more servers likely to handle the load. Last night was a big win for both the CMNT and OneSoccer, now they both need to capitalize on this opportunity.

56 minutes ago, Kent said:

I haven't been to the in match thread yet, but did the feed drop for anyone at all last night? For me it was perfect until the 87th minute. I got it back up 5 minutes later, missed the Hoilett goal.

I hope they can get a lot more subscriptions now, but if they do they also need a lot more servers likely to handle the load. Last night was a big win for both the CMNT and OneSoccer, now they both need to capitalize on this opportunity.

It was fine for me. Chromecast worked too.

The one interesting thing is that each nation controls its on home WCQ TV rights.

So any other broadcaster could sweep in (ex. TSN) and grab the rights to our road games. They would just have to negotiate it.

However One Soccer has the advantage that they could negotiate deals with sharing broadcast feeds.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I got kicked off the internet on my tv in minute 55 and couldn't get back in. In true CONCACAF style, had to switch to the app on the tablet that worked fine to see out the match.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Worked fine for me. I always watch with my computer (which is ancient) and my connection is slow (10mb/second I think) and sometimes I have to refresh the stream. I've been pretty happy with one soccer so far. Certainly not perfect though. 

16 hours ago, Aird25 said:

OneSoccer has to be thrilled with this win. 

This has to be pretty huge for them. And credit to them - they made a long term bet on Canadian soccer and so far it is looking good.  These games will attract a fair bit of attention so I could see TSN or Sportsnet trying to get the rights to broadcast them. The real question will be whether or not they are willing to pay OS a decent amount or if they think public pressure to have them on TV will help their cause and get them a discount.  

The flip side is that OS may be more interested in using these games to try and leverage a larger subscription base. If so, freezing out the networks could be the better long term play for them.  It really depends on where they see the most revenue possibilities over the lifespan of their 10 year agreement.  

Either way, having the CMNT secure these extra 14 games (7 of which OS already hold the rights to) is huge.   And I am pretty damn happy for them because they went all in for the game here.