OneSoccer

Foreen

On 7/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, Watchmen said:

But at the same time, that means that 88% of their audience still watched it by traditional means of cable and that streaming remains a bit niche.

It's about the trend. A few years ago, the streaming shares were below 5%. For next year's World Cup, the share should go up to 15-20%. 425k streaming figure was higher than the total tv audience than any of the games in the NBA Finals so far. 

It's also not niche for soccer since the only 2 sports streamers in Canada have a soccer focus. And in the US, ESPN+ and in the past year, Paramount+ & Peacock have all used soccer properties to primarily market their services.

The rising interest but having the audience fragmented amongst a plethora of soccer leagues and tourneys means it is now a better business model for streaming services to carry soccer vs cable tv ex for the biggest tourneys and where existing relationships provide synergies (i.e own TFC, ESPN owns 25% of TSN).

Edited by red card

Alf de Blasis is a major upgrade for Onesoccer. No need to have broadcasts sound like they are being done by a former junior B hockey player from Moose Jaw or a BBC local radio castoff. There are plenty of people in Canada who grew up with the sport as their main sporting passion, know it inside out and are capable of announcing soccer player surnames appropriately.

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but the only technical issue I've had with OneSoccer is that in the first two seasons the feed would sometimes drop, but seemingly only during half time. On laptop, phone, and predominantly Roku SmartTV app.

I think the biggest issues they have had is with Chromecast. It seems to occur with streams from certain events.

9 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Now, if they would just release a native Android TV app, then I wouldn't NEED to Chromecast.  (Though I'd still like to... Chromecast is awesome for every other app on the planet.)

I can install DAZN on my TV so it's kinda annoying starting the third year of the service and still no OneSoccer app. Of course I still have to switch to my PS4 to watch Disney+ so I guess it's not just them who are lazy. ;) 

49 minutes ago, ted said:

I can install DAZN on my TV so it's kinda annoying starting the third year of the service and still no OneSoccer app. Of course I still have to switch to my PS4 to watch Disney+ so I guess it's not just them who are lazy. ;) 

To be fair not even TSN or SportsNet have apps for all the top smart TV operating systems. DAZN is tops in that regard.

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

To be fair not even TSN or SportsNet have apps for all the top smart TV operating systems. DAZN is tops in that regard.

That's a good point.  And a surprising one. 

EDIT:  Looks like Sportsnet has an Android TV app since 2019?

Edited by sstackho

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but the only technical issue I've had with OneSoccer is that in the first two seasons the feed would sometimes drop, but seemingly only during half time. On laptop, phone, and predominantly Roku SmartTV app.

Same for me, overall a very good experience on Roku and PC.

I watched via my TV browser yesterday with no issues. 

But when trying to Chromecast from CBC Olympic app this weekend, I had issues.

People have to realize all streaming platforms will some issues at some time because 1) It's not a closed environment like a cable box. So many variables can come into play. A chunk of it is user dependent. 2) Streaming technology is improving by leaps & bounds but it still isn't considered as good as cable.

Newish platforms all have issues as they launch with the basics and then make major upgrades on the fly over 3-5 years.

Edited by red card

Missed the pre-game show and never got to watch on my tv (Chromecast) finally got to work on my computer which froze 3 times and had to reset. On the tv could only get the recorded shows nothing live. Want to invite people over to watch future Canada games but it's always a crap shoot with these guys. I do not understand how a company could operate in this manor.

Edited by MtlMario

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

FWIW, I was able to successfully Chromecast a replay of OneSoccer Today last night.  It started right away with no audio sync issues. 

First successful OneSoccer Chromecasting in a week. 

It's only live events that I've ever had issues casting

21 hours ago, red card said:

I watched via my TV browser yesterday with no issues. 

But when trying to Chromecast from CBC Olympic app this weekend, I had issues.

People have to realize all streaming platforms will some issues at some time because 1) It's not a closed environment like a cable box. So many variables can come into play. A chunk of it is user dependent. 2) Streaming technology is improving by leaps & bounds but it still isn't considered as good as cable.

Newish platforms all have issues as they launch with the basics and then make major upgrades on the fly over 3-5 years.

You've hit the nail on the head with the variables - a lot of the time its not the service but issues on the users end that creates problems.

20 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Missed the pre-game show and never got to watch on my tv (Chromecast) finally got to work on my computer which froze 3 times and had to reset. On the tv could only get the recorded shows nothing live. Want to invite people over to watch future Canada games but it's always a crap shoot with this guys. I do not understand how a company could operate in this manor.

I suggest picking up a Roku for $40 and you will not be disappointed, best experience for Onesoccer imo and tons of free content for live tv, movies, shows, documentary's and such.

Edited by CDNFootballer

On 7/27/2021 at 12:06 PM, Aird25 said:

It's only live events that I've ever had issues casting

Agreed. I can watch replays fine when casting (have watched One Soccer Today as well as CPL games on replay) but live hasn't worked for weeks. When casting live from my iPhone I get a huge video delay (sound is like 10 or 15 seconds ahead, meaning constant spoilers) and when casting from my Chromebook I get the video cutting out a couple times every minute, for several seconds at a time.

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

FYI - I am currently Chromecasting the live OneSoccer Today on right now.  This is from iOS to Android TV. It took a couple of attempts. 

Hoping for more success later tonight!

i'm casting from my android phone through my chromecast, first time it's worked in a week and a half.

i put it on 4 hours ago just to see if it would work and it did, so i just left it on because i was worried that if i turned it off it wouldn't work again later 🤣

Took several attempts but got Chromecast working again. Took a second attempt to solve a massive audio sync problem. Feel like I’ve won the lottery when I get it to work. Now please don’t crap out.   

Because of these issues, I need to login on multiple devices, requiring regular re-logins. I wish it simply just worked.