OneSoccer

Foreen

On 6/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, gator said:

I used fire stick as well and disaster about sums it up, I sure hope OneSoccer gets this sorted for Tuesday as this pisses off subscribers old and new, until last night I have had very few problems since I started using the browser on the fire stick!

I didn't find the browser on the fire stick much good for most things. I'd stick to Roku ...

I can watch soccer from pretty well anywhere in the world, except for soccer in my own country.  There is no television network coverage, only OneSoccer which is a pay per game or a longer period.  What was the point of having 5 TSN channels, Sportsnet, CBC, etc.  Now the only thing available is to wait after the games and watch highlights in YouTube.

5 minutes ago, The Ref said:

I can watch soccer from pretty well anywhere in the world, except for soccer in my own country.  There is no television network coverage, only OneSoccer which is a pay per game or a longer period.  What was the point of having 5 TSN channels, Sportsnet, CBC, etc.  Now the only thing available is to wait after the games and watch highlights in YouTube.

Huh? Sportsnet and TSN have basically given up on all their coverage. So what exactly are you watching? This past season only German Bungesliga was available on either of those 2 networks.

Sure TSN has now added Euros and Copa America. And next year they will have La Liga.

You do realize you pay money for TSN and Sportsnet?

Also the reason why these games are on One Soccer is that both networks had zero interest in the signing a deal with Canadian soccer.

22 minutes ago, The Ref said:

You pay a lot of money for one service and complain that it doesn't have what you want to watch but are unwilling to pay for another much cheaper service that has the content you want? Why don't you dump cable and get OneSoccer?

25 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Encourage those networks to air the games. I can't imagine OneSoccer would charge an exorbitant amount and it's a good product

2 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

You pay a lot of money for one service and complain that it doesn't have what you want to watch but are unwilling to pay for another much cheaper service that has the content you want? Why don't you dump cable and get OneSoccer?

You Aird25 and Narduch have all valid points and I respect that.  I go more to the ideology that a country with TV Networks dedicated to sports we have to rely on an Internet website to show our games.

I have Rogers cable/internet package. I had removed TSN and Sportsnet when the pandemic started.

It would cost me $25 per month more to get back the full TSN + Sportsnet line ups.

People can decide for themselves if they feel that is worth it.

I'm actually considering added them back to watch the Euros. But I'm tempted by TSN Direct having a deal for $60 for a 6-month subscription.

3 hours ago, The Ref said:

You Aird25 and Narduch have all valid points and I respect that.  I go more to the ideology that a country with TV Networks dedicated to sports we have to rely on an Internet website to show our games.

The soccer viewership base has grown quite a bit in the past 30 years thanks to TSN/SN/CBC. This has led to more leagues and competitions being shown. But no sports tv network can carry even all the big leagues/competitions anymore. And all these options also leads to fragmented viewer base.

So, except for the biggest events like the World Cup/Euros and where there is cross over ownership such as TFC or getting la Liga rights via ESPN (25% owners of TSN), keeping/adding leagues doesn't keep/add enough incremental viewers to make business sense. Canada matches usually got less than 100k. Canada audience gets into million territory when in FIFA tourneys and Olympics which the tv networks have maintained rights to.

The business model now makes more sense for streamers since the growing highly interested base is willing to pay a higher subscription fee than TSN/SN get from the cable companies. There is a reason why the only 2 sports streamers in Canada are focused on soccer. In the US, we are seeing a streaming wars going on with soccer property rights being one of the main enticements being used to add subscribers.

TSN/SN could have stayed in the Canada Soccer game by following the ESPN model - launch a stand alone streaming service (ESPN+) with unique sports properties/programs not shown on tv. Or the soccer properties could been added to Crave as CBS has done via Paramount+. 

So, either they were totally clueless or their views were clouded by trying to protect the tv distribution platforms of their parent companies. 

27 minutes ago, narduch said:

Rogers and Bell are not known for being innovative companies 

To get back into the soccer game and other non-top 5 sports, my suggestion for TSN would be to launch a stand alone sports streaming service for less than $10/month. 

Show all la Liga matches on it, show all non-Cdn MLS matches (instead of giving DAZN some of it) and add the football leagues/competitions shown on ESPN+/Paramount+ that nobody has the Canadian rights to (i.e Eredivisie, Nos, SPL, Russia, Argentina, ligaMX ex OneSoccer, Danish, NWSL, J league, UEFA/ACF/Concacaf/Conmebol WCQ, non-Cdn national teams friendlies, pre-season club tourneys etc..). Then, they'll need to work on getting back the rights they have dumped in the past 2 years.

Edited by red card

I also really appreciate the coverage of sports on streaming service. It seems more natural, sticks to the essence of the sporting event and doesn't pander to the "casual" or people who don't want to get on board. For instance I love DAZN for boxing coverage because its sophisticated. Anything from the cable networks starts with "boxing isn't what it was, I remember Muhammed Ali & Mike Tyson" and you just want to shoot yourself. Same with footie, the Onesoccer guys are enjoying themselves. They don't need to dumb it down. There are no time restraints because you need to get to the Milwaukee Bucks Brooklyn Nets highlights. Im not judging anyone's financial situation but if you care about Canadian Soccer and your not willing to plunk down $75 for a year of Gold Cup, World Cup qualifiers and everything else, then I dont know what to tell you

Edited by SpursFlu

I was talking to my ticket rep (York United FC) today.  OneSoccer is NOT part of any SSH package this year.  He can only speculate but he believes that is true for all of the CPL teams.   (A different rep was uncertain of what the policy would be just two weeks ago).  

However the package that York has come up with for SSH (three year packages) as a "Sorry for the four home games played in Winnipeg" is immediately two different team scarves, two team jerseys (my choice was one green/blue and one 'community ie the white one), four tickets to any game (better than 2019 when I only had one game to choose from), plus $120.06 credit to my account (which was the price of the 'lost' games) with various choices to spend it or let it ride.  

Delivery time of all this is before York's first GTA home game.    

No issues last night. I was about as worried about the feed, as I was for the actual result. Watched Aruba at the cottage through Roku and had no issues but got scared when everyone else was complaining about issues, knowing I was going to be streaming at home Tuesday night. Turned out the result and streams were Great!! I love having OneSoccer, Post and Pregame shows are great. Panels with ex pats Hume and Dunfield and good to see they added KJ. 

Edited by johnyb

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I bet Bell / TSN regret letting the Canada rights slip now though 

I bet they still don't. The big money for them would be if Canada makes the World Cup, and they already have the rights for that. The qualifying is still irrelevant to them, with the possible exception of a game that potentially clinches a World Cup berth.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I bet they still don't. The big money for them would be if Canada makes the World Cup, and they already have the rights for that. The qualifying is still irrelevant to them, with the possible exception of a game that potentially clinches a World Cup berth.

I'd take that bet. 

One foot in the World Cup Finals and 7 home fixtures in the final qualifying round, the majority of which will no doubt be in Toronto, is going to be an absolute massive, on-going event that can't be overstated. 

If Canada makes the Octo and isn't a disaster OneSoccer is going to feel like it won the lottery.  TSN, not so much.

P.S.  Not to say the massive event the WC Finals would be if Canada was there would be unappreciated by TSN HQ, but we still have to actually get there.

Edited by Cheeta

So is James Sharman officially gone from One Soccer? He just kind of disappeared. And almost as importantly, are they never bringing back "One Nation" (I think that's what the show was called) with that awesome theme song?

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I'd take that bet. 

One foot in the World Cup Finals and 7 home fixtures in the final qualifying round, the majority of which will no doubt be in Toronto, is going to be an absolute massive, on-going event that can't be overstated. 

If Canada makes the Octo and isn't a disaster OneSoccer is going to feel like it won the lottery.  TSN, not so much.

P.S.  Not to say the massive event the WC Finals would be if Canada was there would be unappreciated by TSN HQ, but we still have to actually get there.

When Canada finally beat the US, there was a ton of news around it and a lot of talk on this forum about "making TSN and Sportsnet pay big time for the rematch". And neither of them bothered to step up and do so.

TSN and Sportsnet would care about the US and Mexico games (maybe, depending on how the first games go) and any potential clinching game. Sorry, but they wouldn't care at all about Costa Rica or Honduras or any of the other smaller country games. They sure as hell don't want to devote 14 time slots to it all. If they wanted any of this, they would have stayed on board in the first place.