Jayden Nelson

KW519

He was really lively and saw a lot of the ball.  However, I got the impression that that was part of the Whitecaps' plan.  They left him open for passes, and he didn't do a lot positive with the ball when he had it.  He also got barged off the ball a lot.  So, I'm kind of 50/50 in my opinions of him.  He has a great motor, good skills with the ball, but he has trouble keeping possession and making incisive passes.  I think he is going to get better at the things that bug me, and I will be really happy with him in the future.  I just don't think that right now he is one of the better players on the team.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bumping because I'm surprised no one perceived how lively and focused he was last night. But I guess you prefer to slag Kosi and overstate MacNaughton.

To be honest, I have just stopped cheering about him here but I still think he is one of our brightest prospects.   He is fast, agile and is now playing both ways.   He still needs to learn a few things (like not waiting too long in possession) and his shot could be better - but he is a guy I see as a solid contributor to the CMNT going forward.

3 hours ago, rkomar said:

He was really lively and saw a lot of the ball.  However, I got the impression that that was part of the Whitecaps' plan.  They left him open for passes, and he didn't do a lot positive with the ball when he had it.  He also got barged off the ball a lot.  So, I'm kind of 50/50 in my opinions of him.  He has a great motor, good skills with the ball, but he has trouble keeping possession and making incisive passes.  I think he is going to get better at the things that bug me, and I will be really happy with him in the future.  I just don't think that right now he is one of the better players on the team.

Yes.  But I think you are more generous than I would be from what i saw last night.  TFC missed MAK out there big time.   In addition to what you mentioned, its his decision making that concerns me.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  But I think you are more generous than I would be from what i saw last night.  TFC missed MAK out there big time.   In addition to what you mentioned, its his decision making that concerns me.  

Heh!  I was thinking Nelson could rival Valderrama's hair do, but he has a long way to go to rival the speed and correctness of Valderrama's decision making.  Still, Nelson is young and one can hope that he gets closer to that high standard with time.  He's not going to get there except by experience.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Geez, he was objectively better than the entire front line last night, better than Osorio. And Insigne. With McNaughton, Criscito and Bradley he was one of the best players for TFC on the pitch.

The Red Patch Boys forum is full of fucking idiots.

They continue to let the management skate for the terrible job they have done putting a team together. Always with the excuse that the team needs more time to 'rebuild'. It's a constant mantra.

Thompson and Nelson are the 2 biggest scapegoats right now. Whereas Manning should be fired and is given a pass

What I like about Nelson is he isn't afraid to try things. He wants to attack, wants the ball and isn't afraid to try and fail. That should be praised. He hasn't figured it all out yet but look at the massive leap he has made from last season. 

Tajon is 3 years older than Nelson. Where was he at 19/20? During 2019 Tajon played 10 games. It was the following year he made a big leap with NER, and another year before he made the leap with CMNT. (If I'm getting the timeline correct)

Nelson has 34 games under his belt and counting during the equivalent season. Not saying he will take a leap like Tajon but he is starting from a good place. He has a manager who will play young talent and look who he is now training with every day. 

15 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

What I like about Nelson is he isn't afraid to try things. He wants to attack, wants the ball and isn't afraid to try and fail. That should be praised. He hasn't figured it all out yet but look at the massive leap he has made from last season. 

Tajon is 3 years older than Nelson. Where was he at 19/20? During 2019 Tajon played 10 games. It was the following year he made a big leap with NER, and another year before he made the leap with CMNT. (If I'm getting the timeline correct)

Nelson has 34 games under his belt and counting during the equivalent season. Not saying he will take a leap like Tajon but he is starting from a good place. He has a manager who will play young talent and look who he is now training with every day. 

Tajon is the guy I think of when I am trying to benchmark where Jayden is right now - and is a big reason why I am so optimistic.   Sure Nelson has things he has to work on.  But I am not going to criticize him for being less effective at 19 than MAK at 27 - a guy who is an MLS veteran and who will be playing for Canada in the WC later this year.   For Jayden’s age and development he is doing very well IMO.  There is a reason why he is the young TFC player most consistently trusted by Bradley to be effective at this level.   And it is also why I have spent a bit of time and effort putting together a nice little card collection.   I think this kid is going places.  

AB62A840-0321-4C7B-A45C-5D57BFCFBAE2.jpeg

4 hours ago, narduch said:

The Red Patch Boys forum is full of fucking idiots.

They continue to let the management skate for the terrible job they have done putting a team together. Always with the excuse that the team needs more time to 'rebuild'. It's a constant mantra.

Thompson and Nelson are the 2 biggest scapegoats right now. Whereas Manning should be fired and is given a pass

More of a winning soccer games agenda than a nationalist one revolving around the players' passports in other words. The sort of people who rightly or wrongly would prefer to watch Insigne and Bernardeschi rather than Ferrari and Zator, which I strongly suspect is > 95% of the active domestic pro soccer fanbase in the GTA. Strangely though Paul Beirne and others seemed to be convinced that this forum represented the authentic voice of Canadian soccer fans.

Think Bob Bradley should very much be commended for clearing out the deadwood from last year's TFC roster so ruthlessly and going with young homegrown players so much as part of the process of building his team but not surprised there is a bit of a backlash against it at times because it's being done more with a view to results in subsequent seasons rather than in the here and now.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

More of a winning soccer games agenda than a nationalist one revolving around the players' passports in other words. The sort of people who rightly or wrongly would prefer to watch Insigne and Bernardeschi rather than Ferrari and Zator, which I strongly suspect is > 95% of the active domestic pro soccer fanbase in the GTA. Strangely though Paul Beirne and others seemed to be convinced that this forum represented the authentic voice of Canadian soccer fans.

Think Bob Bradley should very much be commended for clearing out the deadwood from last year's TFC roster so ruthlessly and going with young homegrown players so much as part of the process of building his team but not surprised there is a bit of a backlash against it at times because it's being done more with a view to results in subsequent seasons rather than in the here and now.

They have a tendency to perpetually say the FO needs more time to build a team, which I disagree with whole heartedly.

With the resources it has, TFC should be aiming to be another Seattle. They shouldn't have all these boom and bust cycles.

I don't really think they are playing young players as any sort of plan. They are basically forced to because they did a bad job of building the roster.

Edited by narduch

I avoid twitter like the plague and dont know about what the red patch boys talk about..but how can you put the blame on Nelsen and Thompson?  You expect 2 homegrown dirt cheap teenagers to come in and turn the club around?? Especially when the main problem is with the CB's??  2 veteran dudes making piles of cash and dont seem to give a shit about soccer at all. Mavinga checked out last season and Salceido is a DP bust of EPIC proportions...epic as in someone should get fired for bringing in these guys (Salceido/Soteldo etc).  

And I dont know how much credit I would give Bradley.  If this was the master plan, clear out the last of Vanney's boys and go with dirt cheap academy kids until they can bring in every Italian not nailed down...well what did you expect??  You are down at the bottom of the table and time is running out to make a run, they should have know that is exaclty what was going to happen.

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I avoid twitter like the plague and dont know about what the red patch boys talk about..but how can you put the blame on Nelsen and Thompson?  You expect 2 homegrown dirt cheap teenagers to come in and turn the club around?? Especially when the main problem is with the CB's??  2 veteran dudes making piles of cash and dont seem to give a shit about soccer at all. Mavinga checked out last season and Salceido is a DP bust of EPIC proportions...epic as in someone should get fired for bringing in these guys (Salceido/Soteldo etc).  

And I dont know how much credit I would give Bradley.  If this was the master plan, clear out the last of Vanney's boys and go with dirt cheap academy kids until they can bring in every Italian not nailed down...well what did you expect??  You are down at the bottom of the table and time is running out to make a run, they should have know that is exaclty what was going to happen.

apparently they are the reason why the CBs and the keepers are so bad

Someone here has even implied Nelson looked good vs Caps because our defence was keying on Insigne. And he had more time. It's laughable, we didn't key on any of them, he couldn't get past a one on one vs an MLS journeyman. 

The drama queen award on this board is in permanent hands of those discussing any player from TFC. 

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Someone here has even implied Nelson looked good vs Caps because our defence was keying on Insigne. And he had more time. It's laughable, we didn't key on any of them, he couldn't get past a one on one vs an MLS journeyman. 

The drama queen award on this board is in permanent hands of those discussing any player from TFC. 

The confused reaction is not because I disagree with you on Nelson. He wasn't very good, so I agree with you on that. He wasn't bad necessarily, but it was clear he was being afforded time and space relative to Insigne (who was rather poor). 

The reaction was about this narrative you are brewing up about TFC fans. I don't really get it. 

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The confused reaction is not because I disagree with you on Nelson. He wasn't very good, so I agree with you on that. He wasn't bad necessarily, but it was clear he was being afforded time and space relative to Insigne (who was rather poor). 

The reaction was about this narrative you are brewing up about TFC fans. I don't really get it. 

Nelson was the TFC player I liked the best, maybe along with Bradley, who had a very good game, and Criscito. For me he was lively, looked for plays, offered himself, was willing to move out of his spot on the pitch to do what he had to do. He showed character and confidence. And not because he wasn't marked, because Insigne did not even get double teamed either (I think Bradley actually did get man-marked, somewhat, which is why Cubas sort of disappeared in the 2nd half).

What is drama queen is just look at the MNT players board, full of long-winded threads like this one on any and all TFC Canadians, wheat, chaff and everything in between. Over the top hype followed by derision, then overblown transfer rumours then if the guy has 2 decent games he has to replace this or that guy in Herdman's next call-up, then he's a bum. It's been going on for years. It's like a badly written soap opera. The comments from Impact and Caps fans on their Canadians are much more balance and opinions are far more reigned in--except when we are deliberately trying to mock the lame positions of those overhyping the most recent in a long line of TFC roster notes.

This is all very ironic given which player is being discussed and who has posted the most recent long-winded comment.

But then I remember not too long ago a number of posts on this forum deriding anyone who dared contend that Jonathan Osorio was national team quality. They were nothing but TFC fan boys who should have instead been rallying for Russell Teibert's inclusion because RT played a lot of games for the Whitecaps.

11 minutes ago, RS said:

This is all very ironic given which player is being discussed and who has posted the most recent long-winded comment.

But then I remember not too long ago a number of posts on this forum deriding anyone who dared contend that Jonathan Osorio was national team quality. They were nothing but TFC fan boys who should have instead been rallying for Russell Teibert's inclusion because RT played a lot of games for the Whitecaps.

I was going to bring this up but you beat me to it. I do remember @Unnamed Trialist Osorio drew your ire and Teibert by comparison wasn't getting his due. 

But thanks for explaining your logic on that. Maybe as a TFC fan I just never noticed...

But I think it can be explained by the fact that Toronto has been the top Canadian club for some time now. That's not just bias, just look at the record books. For that reason, players doing well there get more attention than their Vancouver counterparts. The Osorio/Teibert comparison is probably a good example. 

Fortunately for the Whitecaps, playing in the CCL gives the Canadians there a platform that Toronto and Montreal have enjoyed for a while. Guys like Raposo, Godinho, Gutierrez etc. could benefit immensely. Who knows, maybe ol' Rusty can even play his way back into the pool with a good tournament!

5 hours ago, narduch said:

With the resources it has, TFC should be aiming to be another Seattle. They shouldn't have all these boom and bust cycles.

I don't really think they are playing young players as any sort of plan. They are basically forced to because they did a bad job of building the roster.

100% agree.  It’s just lazy to go the “Vanney route” and outspend every other team by double… and inevitably it bottoms out.

TFC will never become a Seattle unless they prove over the course of a number of years that they have a plan.  It seems like the management is fine to replicate the previous blue print, but I think it’s actually down to Bradley on how it turns out.

I sure hope Bradley is a little different than Vanney in that he plans on developing some of the youngsters to fill out the roster beyond the DP’s / vets.  It’s great TFC has Canadians Kaye, Henry and Osorio filling “veteran roles” at the moment.  Now TFC needs to bring through a few of these youngsters on a regular basis in order not to go down the same path.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread deserves a bump. The shift from wing to midfield has really worked for Jayden. He was involved in the build up on every TFC goal and I believe had an assist on Oso's first goal. His one touch combination passes with Insigne was high level stuff. More importantly Insigne seems to have confidence in Jayden as he is not reluctant to pass the ball to him at all. His ability to play on the wing also benefits Insigne when he cuts in and Jayden goes wide. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

This thread deserves a bump. The shift from wing to midfield has really worked for Jayden. He was involved in the build up on every TFC goal and I believe had an assist on Oso's first goal. His one touch combination passes with Insigne was high level stuff. More importantly Insigne seems to have confidence in Jayden as he is not reluctant to pass the ball to him at all. His ability to play on the wing also benefits Insigne when he cuts in and Jayden goes wide. 

Jayden seems to be growing game to game, and that'll only continue as he trains and plays with guys of Insigne's quality. Jayden has the athletic ability, he just needs to develop his football intelligence, which will come with experience. Excited to see his growth. 

12 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Jayden seems to be growing game to game, and that'll only continue as he trains and plays with guys of Insigne's quality. Jayden has the athletic ability, he just needs to develop his football intelligence, which will come with experience. Excited to see his growth. 

Imo the intelligence is mostly there now. The only thing lacking is his last action in the final third, once he gets that down he'll become a very very dangerous player.