Jayden Nelson

KW519

To be honest, I just don’t know how you get that call wrong in the VAR era.  It was a goal that was called back on the field.  Clearly, the VAR folks would have had a look at it.  And there is no way anyone watching that replay in slow-mo can think that Nelson wasn’t entitled to attack that ball.  It wasn’t in Hasal’s hands and Jayden didn’t go through Nasal’s hands to strike it.  It is really baffling how the goal was disallowed even with VAR. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Created the turnover and got the assist on Pozuelo's goal.

( Overall, I still don't rate him and I don't think he'll become regular senior #CanMNT material, but I didn't rate Raheem Edwards that much so it shows what I know, I hope he proves me wrong )

I agree BUT...

1) think of the guys he would need to replace - that's a pretty high standard

2) that doesn't mean he won't have a long and meaningful career - we would have killed for a guy like him 10 years ago.

('killed' in the proverbial sense)

Edited by PastPros

He had some good moments and played some great fwd penetrating passes.  For me he needs to work on his defending, he was like a sieve when he was playing centrally. He seems a bit like Oso was before he began to also focus on the defensive side.  If Nelson can learn to defend his position then he could be a tidy player.

He is frustratingly conservative with his passing still, although I believe that's probably be directed and drilled into him. He is capable of much more for sure but either has been told not too or has lost confidence to do it as often as he can.

Reminds me a little bit of when Teibert was a promising winger and whitecaps coached the attacking side out of him to learn the defensive mid position. Not quite that extreme with Jayden but I think he plays it safe too often. Ironically the two times I saw him trying to take on a man and dribble was coming out of his own box! 

Definitely looked better when he shifted to wide right. 

Not a good performance tonight… he seemed to have been given freedom to move into the middle more often than usual, but this didn’t help him create or connect.  Again was too slow progressing the ball (which he has been an issue all season), or poor passing in general.  Defense is a huge issue… I felt for the fullbacks as they got little help - and it wasn’t always positional, he was just unable to disrupt any attacker who came his way.  He does have talent on the ball and is young, but I think I’m just disappointed that he hasn’t made more of his opportunities, especially with all the hype.

Edited by TOcanadafan

I thought he had a pretty solid game.  He made a few (pretty damn fast) runs into space and just wasn’t found by teammates a couple of times.  He made some good passes to create chances.  Sure he could have done better on the defensive side of things, but he was very involved going forward and was far from poor IMO.  

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

( Overall, I still don't rate him and I don't think he'll become regular senior #CanMNT material, but I didn't rate Raheem Edwards that much so it shows what I know, I hope he proves me wrong )

Honestly, I would take that bet.  He is 19 years old and growing into a threatening MLS attacker a bit more every week. He has a goal under his belt and should have had another that was wrongly called back.  That isn’t bad for a midfielder in this TFC team.  He has also shown recently that he is friggin fast and has a good eye for defense splitting passes.  I know there are lots of things he needs to work on but I see him in the mix for a spot in 2026.  I think he will have moved to Europe by that time and will be pushing hard to be in the team.  

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, I would take that bet.  He is 19 years old and growing into a threatening MLS attacker a bit more every week. He has a goal under his belt and should have had another that was wrongly called back.  That isn’t bad for a midfielder in this TFC team.  He has also shown recently that he is friggin fast and has a good eye for defense splitting passes.  I know there are lots of things he needs to work on but I see him in the mix for a spot in 2026.  I think he will have moved to Europe by that time and will be pushing hard to be in the team.  

i agree...he has the  raw talent,needs to work on his d...who knew tajon at 18 19 and look at him now,i think he will go to Belgium in a year,he had a really good trial last winter

The kid is definitely talented, and certainly had some eye catching moments on offence yesterday.  The two weak areas that he needs to work on in my opinion are: a) He gets caught in possession far too often, and b) He is too slow to track back and cover leading to direct attacks on the defenders where they are forced to cover 2 attackers.  

There is high potential here for sure but it’s mixed with a lot of immaturity, erratic positional play, and wholesale abandonment of defensive duties. 

There was one play in particular where TFC was on the break. Pozuelo passes to Nelson who is streaking down the inside left channel. He gets into the box, and cuts back to create a yard of space from his defender (nice initial decision). He’s then looking at a mostly open Akinola at the far post, a fully open Pozuelo as a late runner. Two options for an easy assist on a goal. 

Well, he decides to shoot short side at the near post and misses net. Had he even hit the target the keeper had it well covered. If you want to burn your career and your credibility with teammates, this is how you do it. 

Wish I could say it was the first example of him doing such a thing. It’s not.

Edited by ag futbol

8 hours ago, reggietfc said:

i agree...he has the  raw talent,needs to work on his d...who knew tajon at 18 19 and look at him now,i think he will go to Belgium in a year,he had a really good trial last winter

I agree he is really good…I still think he is a borderline MLS player at the moment, but if this isn’t his peak, I could see him in Europe in the future.

Lets not get all "Caldwellesque" and critize every move that doesnt work.  If he crosses and it doesnt go through Caldwell say he should have shot and flip flop it if it goes the other way ad nauseum.  Trying a shot from there maybe wasnt the best option, but it was still an option eh? Keep the keeper honest, if he never shoots then he gets called timid etc.  And he had guys running on the break a few times and found them with good long passes, which I dont remember him doing much previously.  Its not like he is a black hole on the field that never looks to make plays for the rest of the guys.  He was a positive offensive player that looked like he was capable of even more.  Which is what you ask of a 19year old...get better every game.  

One thing we need to take into consideration with Nelson and several of the other young Canadians on TFC.  They are continuing to play in unfamiliar positions.  Nelson was substituted in for Osorio.  That is not his ideal position and it’s no wonder defensively he can look out of sorts.  Think of the differences between Osorio and Nelson.  And Nelson is tasked to replace an injured Osorio.

same goes for Kosi yesterday as well.