Jayden Nelson

KW519

Its funny how sometimes the local kid with oodles of potential will improve if you put the work into him, find the right position for him and stick with them while they develop.  You know like how they did with Oso, Ayo, Lareya, Delgado or Bono (with varying amounts of success, haha).  

As for Bradley, RS is right, it has been the same forever, MB is fierce competitor and hates to come off.  BUT, the manager has to do whats right for MB's own health and the teams well being.  Running him into the ground does no one any good and he'd prob do with a night off now and again..even a few seasons ago.  But like canuck said, the midfield cover is gone now and he'll prob play until he breaks down or the season is over.  

It's hard for me to believe that I'm so out of sync with most of the posters here.  I see that Nelson has improved a lot recently by cutting out those things he was doing badly.  However, he mostly plays it safe now, and doesn't do a lot to make the team more dangerous on attack.  I believe that he will start to play better that way with more experience, so I'm all for continuing to give him time in games.  However, until he develops into a better attacker, I don't see him playing for the CMNT.  I do feel confident that he will get there eventually, though, just not before this year's World Cup.

56 minutes ago, rkomar said:

It's hard for me to believe that I'm so out of sync with most of the posters here.  I see that Nelson has improved a lot recently by cutting out those things he was doing badly.  However, he mostly plays it safe now, and doesn't do a lot to make the team more dangerous on attack.  I believe that he will start to play better that way with more experience, so I'm all for continuing to give him time in games.  However, until he develops into a better attacker, I don't see him playing for the CMNT.  I do feel confident that he will get there eventually, though, just not before this year's World Cup.

I mean he basically created the penalty last game, and consistently linked well with Insigne and Osorio in attack. With guys like that in the lineup it is a given that the attack isn’t going to primarily run through a young guy like Nelson.  The fact that he can be an integral part of those movements though shows a growing maturity and an understanding of his role in the team (as opposed to the sometimes individualistic and disconnected plays he made at the start of the season).   All very encouraging IMO and I agree with @Obinnathat he isn’t far from a call up and could even be given a look in September if there is an open spot.  Kone was given a shot based on a smaller number of strong performances and it is hard to argue that Nelson isn’t consistently playing at a higher level than a guy like Fraser who has been given chances.   

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

I don't think that is out of sync with my thoughts. Indeed, Nelson is largely playing safe and isn't the most dangerous player on the field (but he doesn't have to be). I guess hat's what I meant by calling him an effective cog. He's playing within the system and helping the team, full stop.

That said, I think last game we saw real glimpses of his attacking instincts while playing within the team. It lead to the foul on Ayo in thr box, which Toronto capitalized on. All the while he kept posession and made mature decisions, never letting the team down. The same couldn't be said a few months ago, where he'd show flashes of quality one minute, then cheaply lose the ball another minute.

Given how quickly he's improving from one game to the next, hey may develop into that dangerous attacker sooner than you think, possibly before the September window. The signs are encouraging.

This is the first all-around good game I've seen from him but he did all of a sudden not look out of place combining with our more experienced, more reliable players. Also knew when to take risks, successfully completed several dribbles, showed a range of passing and pressed effectively, and didn't give the ball away stupidly. Don't want to jump the gun but the knock on him this year has been that his technique is high-end but his football IQ is low. Looked like he's been eating brain food last game. One game but it's hard to see all the good choices he made as a string of flukes and I gotta say I'm pretty excited about him now.

Edited by Lansdude

5 hours ago, rkomar said:

I also find that he lacks ideas, you will see moments where there are promising buildups and the ball lands at his feet and the promising buildup dies because ( as someone else mentioned a page back) he hesitates too long,  makes the wrong decisions, or passes to someone in a poorer spot.   He is not in sync with some of his teammates and you saw this a few games back when Insigne was expressing some frustration with him.     

There might be a future for Nelson in MLS and maybe even on the NT.  But, but as of right now,  jury is still out IMHO, The team was better when MAK was out there as we saw during that game versus Charlotte.  That was a dominant team.  When they had bring him in to replace MAK,  you could tell the team dropped a level since then.  Cant be a coincidence.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I also find that he lacks ideas, you will see moments where there are promising buildups and the ball lands at his feet and the promising buildup dies because ( as someone else mentioned a page back) he hesitates too long,  makes the wrong decisions, or passes to someone in a poorer spot.   He is not in sync with some of his teammates and you saw this a few games back when Insigne was expressing some frustration with him.     

There might be a future for Nelson in MLS and maybe even on the NT.  But, but as of right now,  jury is still out IMHO, The team was better when MAK was out there as we saw during that game versus Charlotte.  That was a dominant team.  When they had bring him in to replace MAK,  you could tell the team dropped a level since then.  Cant be a coincidence.  

drop a level lol...did you watch the last 2 games?

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

You are watching a different player if you are unsure if this guy even has a future in MLS.  He is 19 and looks perfectly at home to me already.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I get the idea of not over-hyping a guy just because he is Canadian but it seems like the pendulum has swung a bit too far back for some with Nelson.  

give the guy some time,it doesnt really matter,because i think he is gone to europe at the end of the year

I wasn't nitpicking Nelson; I think he's on track for a very good career.  I was nitpicking the comments calling him the best player on the field and a must-have call-up for the CMNT right now.  I think that's a bit much, and gave my reasons for thinking so.  We can agree or disagree on the hype while still supporting the player.

1 minute ago, rkomar said:

I wasn't nitpicking Nelson; I think he's on track for a very good career.  I was nitpicking the comments calling him the best player on the field and a must-have call-up for the CMNT right now.  I think that's a bit much, and gave my reasons for thinking so.  We can agree or disagree on the hype while still supporting the player.

i get that,but he had a good 60 min last night and has been getting better in that new position every game ,even doyle at mls said that kaye may have to win his job back,i dont believe that kaye is the starter every day,but its good to know he can come in and do a job

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I get the idea of not over-hyping a guy just because he is Canadian but it seems like the pendulum has swung a bit too far back for some with Nelson.  

100% this.    To say TFC isnt as good with Nelsen as they are with veteran MLS allstar, CMNT regular Kaye, well you dont say!??!  A teenager who had 400+ min before this season sometimes makes wrong decisions??  HOLY MOLEY, inform Westhead we have a story here!!  You know I did catch some frustrated looks the other night, but they were from the TFC players at Insigne when he missed the sitter on the far post...embarassing for a INT DP millionaire.  

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

This is less accurate today than it was several games ago, and even then I would say the ideas were already there but the comfort was not, that's all. You don't go from having no ideas to playing like he did last night unless you naturally have those ideas within you. 

It honesly looks like something has clicked in the last 2 games. The Kaye injury has been a blessing in disguise. When he comes back into the 11 Toronto will bring a much more capable Jayden Nelson off the bench. Or I can see Bob Bradley bringing Kaye back slowly as long as the results keep coming and Nelson keeps performing. That's probably good for both Toronto and Canada that Kaye not rush back.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I feel like people are being brutal with him, he’s been TFCs most dangerous player and I don’t see how he doesn’t move to Europe at seasons end. There will be interest and the guy can play for us now simply put.

I’m very high on Nelson and think he’s shown a ton since moving to the midfield while Kaye’s been out, but this is just silly. 

There’s no way Nelson’s been TFC’s most dangerous player while Bernardeschi, Insigne, Osorio, Laryea and even Bradley have been racking up goals and/or assists over the past few weeks.

Im with @rkomar on this one.

6 hours ago, RS said:

I’m very high on Nelson and think he’s shown a ton since moving to the midfield while Kaye’s been out, but this is just silly. 

There’s no way Nelson’s been TFC’s most dangerous player while Bernardeschi, Insigne, Osorio, Laryea and even Bradley have been racking up goals and/or assists over the past few weeks.

Im with @rkomar on this one.

Although I agree with your overall statement, I wouldn't put Insigne in that group. He has been slightly better than terrible. He may have two goals but overall his game has been poor. His passing seems to be from someone suffering from two detached retinas and his dribbling is that of a paraplegic.    And I was a big fan of the transfer.

42 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Although I agree with your overall statement, I wouldn't put Insigne in that group. He has been slightly better than terrible. He may have two goals but overall his game has been poor. His passing seems to be from someone suffering from two detached retinas and his dribbling is that of a paraplegic.    And I was a big fan of the transfer.

Be careful, it's not cool to be critical of high paid DP's, save that for young Canadians!😀 Nelson is progressing very well and even when he was played out of position I don't think he was terrible he just looked like a young player with great potential trying to find his game! He seems to be on an upward trajectory and I'm sure there will be speed bumps but this is great that he is getting a chance, his precise passing has become evident, I think there is a high ceiling for him!

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

No hyperbole here.