Jayden Nelson

KW519

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Insigne when he missed the sitter on the far post...embarassing for a INT DP millionaire.  

I was at the game and was staring at him shocked after the miss and I saw him point to his eyes basically saying he couldn't see the ball. Which had me thinking, Why is a 5 foot 3 player at the back post standing behind 6 foot tall guys. Obviously hes too short to do or even see anything. He should be standing outside the box to put a ball back in or something. If you're that short, no offense, but you're going to be useless on a cross

Edited by rydermike
Typo

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

I was at the game and was staring at him shocked after the miss and I saw him point to the eyes basically saying he couldn't see the ball. Which had me thinking, Why is a 5 foot 3 player at the back post standing behind 6 foot tall guys. Obviously hes too short to do or even see anything. He should be standing outside the box to put a ball back in or something. If you're that short, no offense, but you're going to be useless on a cross

Agreed, he was presented with the only minuscule chance he could get ... and missed it. They should be having him short or outside the box. 

7 hours ago, rydermike said:

I was at the game and was staring at him shocked after the miss and I saw him point to his eyes basically saying he couldn't see the ball. Which had me thinking, Why is a 5 foot 3 player at the back post standing behind 6 foot tall guys. Obviously hes too short to do or even see anything. He should be standing outside the box to put a ball back in or something. If you're that short, no offense, but you're going to be useless on a cross

I'd send this post in directly to the club, I am sure Insigne would appreciate the advice on positioning.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I actually watched Insigne this year for Napoli, at Camp Nou, against a pretty mediocre Barça. I could have told you what kind of player you were getting. 

For me Bernardeschi looks to be the better player. Or at least I should say he's been the more effective player. Insigne has obvious talent but I am not sure he'll be as good a fit as Frederico. I actually don't care so long as they both transform the team, which they already have so far. Completely different group now. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

For me Bernardeschi looks to be the better player. Or at least I should say he's been the more effective player. Insigne has obvious talent but I am not sure he'll be as good a fit as Frederico. I actually don't care so long as they both transform the team, which they already have so far. Completely different group now. 

It's still a bit early, but so far you are spot on. Insigne has had moments of sheer brilliance but for the highest paid player in MLS you want more than just moments of brilliance....unless those moments translate into goals/assists on a consistent basis

Edited by Kadenge

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

It's still a bit early, but so far you are spot on. Insigne has had moments of sheer brilliance but for the highest paid player in MLS you want more than just moments of brilliance....unless those moments translate into goals/assists on a consistent basis

I feel like both of them have made pretty terrible miscues at times but also had "moments of brilliance" as you noted. I'd say part of it is adjusting to the MLS game both in terms of the difference in quality of their teammates and not quite being in sync yet...along with the fact that they're drawing a ridiculous amount of attention to themselves relative to with their past clubs (I'm assuming here). I also tend to think that special players make just as many, if not more, mistakes than your average player. The mistakes they do make however, aren't often game changing or disastrous. Also, their successes are just that much more impactful and jaw-dropping, while also being at a higher rate than your average (relatively) player. Special players must "risk" much more often than role players and sometimes I think we forget that...? I'm purely spitballing here so please don't take my head off lol.

Applying this to Jayden, if you think about how much better he has looked over the past 4 or 5 games do we really attribute it to him actually being "better" (I actually do but only slightly:) or does it have much more to do with all of the things, for lack of a better word and a stupidly long list, the Italians have brought into the squad? Regardless, so happy for him. I honestly believe he's on the road to stardom, at least in the MLS and hopefully beyond. My opinion😅

edit: I'll just add that I think what TFC was hoping for was wins and results and since the Italiano immigrazione, that's what they've got...at least to this point.

Edited by PegCityCam

From what I can see the Italians have made some great plays but sometimes I think they’re lacking with their intensity… especially Insigne when he is off the ball. Bernardeschi has brought more intensity but some of the giveaways in dangerous areas of the pitch doing silly flicks makes it seem like he’s not taking the league seriously. Osorio has been the best player on the pitch pretty well every game I watch. Nelson is doing great for a 19 year old and he’s growing game by game but still seems to be overthinking things still. Looking forward to todays game! 

20 hours ago, Craig11rm said:

From what I can see the Italians have made some great plays but sometimes I think they’re lacking with their intensity… especially Insigne when he is off the ball. Bernardeschi has brought more intensity but some of the giveaways in dangerous areas of the pitch doing silly flicks makes it seem like he’s not taking the league seriously. Osorio has been the best player on the pitch pretty well every game I watch. Nelson is doing great for a 19 year old and he’s growing game by game but still seems to be overthinking things still. Looking forward to todays game! 

Yes, overthinking is a good word here. He made some great runs and gets into position well, but dam, there was one great run he made yesterday only to complicate it by turning around and passing it backwards even though he had acres of space a head of him..

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Yes, overthinking is a good word here. He made some great runs and gets into position well, but dam, there was one great run he made yesterday only to complicate it by turning around and passing it backwards even though he had acres of space a head of him..

His dribbling is his biggest asset IMO. If he can pick out the right pass after beating one or two people it could potentially unlock a defence… but passing it back like he did on that play basically just made things more complicated and risky without creating any real benefit for his teammates. 

I have been a big Nelson cheerleader for the last little while but I thought he looked pretty disconnected tonight.  Didn’t have the same interplay he usually seems to have in the attack, gave up possession a number of times, and just generally seemed ineffective tonight.  Hopefully it is just a one-off.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have been a big Nelson cheerleader for the last little while but I thought he looked pretty disconnected tonight.  Didn’t have the same interplay he usually seems to have in the attack, gave up possession a number of times, and just generally seemed ineffective tonight.  Hopefully it is just a one-off.  

To be fair.  Everyone on Toronto FC looked pretty bad.  Especially the Canadian contingent.  Insigne, Bernadeschi and Criscito were good.  Mavinga was decent.  Bono did his job.  Laryea was the only good Canadian out there.  Akinola was poor.  MacNaughton wasn’t great.  Nelson wasn’t great.  Kerr and Thompson weren’t good.  TFC midfield was non existent.  Toronto FC really miss Osorio when he’s out.  It took individual brilliance from the Italians to steal that game for them.

Edited by Corazon

43 minutes ago, Corazon said:

To be fair.  Everyone on Toronto FC looked pretty bad.  Especially the Canadian contingent.  Insigne, Bernadeschi and Criscito were good.  Mavinga was decent.  Bono did his job.  Laryea was the only good Canadian out there.  Akinola was poor.  MacNaughton wasn’t great.  Nelson wasn’t great.  Kerr and Thompson weren’t good.  TFC midfield was non existent.  Toronto FC really miss Osorio when he’s out.  It took individual brilliance from the Italians to steal that game for them.

Sounds about right for every game since they showed up.  

The thing I don’t liKe about Nelson is he coasts around a lot in midfield and doesn’t spot danger very well. He really needs to improve his engine and aggressiveness big time if he wants to go to Europe. So many times I see the other team breaking and he just trots back when his teammates are scrambling to get back to cover.  That is just poor and until he consistently improves that, I can’t see him in the national team picture.

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

The last two matches he has been much more aggressive in his defending and tracking back. If he can become more of a terrier in midfield, work on his passing in the final third, and learn to get into better spaces to score, he can be a real player in a couple of years

The curse of every player that comes out of TFCA lately is they all want to come in close for a short passing option. That was absolutely killing Nelson’s effectiveness as a wide player as he’d jog next to the guy playing in the hole expecting him to lay off a pass rather than run directly against the backline and stretch the field. 

Ironically, now that he’s been refashioned as a shuttler and tweaked certain parts of his game, his tendencies are now more suitable for the position (one nobody foresaw him playing). 

He still needs strong counterparts in midfield to look his best (as any young player would) but I think he has something here and has improved more than any other TFC player in 2022. What a change from 6 months to a year ago when he looked like a highly erratic mess. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Listed at #20 in MLS Top 22 Under 22.

Good to see him get some recognition. Days after the roster release and my opinion hasn't changed that he was snubbed for this roster. I have defended Brym im the past, and the coaching staff's reasons for rating him, but even I am surprised they rate him over Nelson, which is strange when you consider that they supposedly rated Nelson over Mitrovic. So by that logic, was Mitrovic behind Brym then, considering Nelson is? 

And did Nelson playing midfield instead of wide hurt his standing? Well that doesn't make sense either, because Herdman likes versitile players and the midfield is thin as it is.

I wonder if Toronto missing the playoffs made the difference here? Brym will be playing right up until World Cup, so that is something in his favour that Nelson doesn't have.

If that's not it, I will have to make time to actually watch Brym, just to see if maybe I am wrong about him. Maybe he really is better than Nelson right now.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good to see him get some recognition. Days after the roster release and my opinion hasn't changed that he was snubbed for this roster. I have defended Brym im the past, and the coaching staff's reasons for rating him, but even I am surprised they rate him over Nelson, which is strange when you consider that they supposedly rated Nelson over Mitrovic. So by that logic, was Mitrovic behind Brym then, considering Nelson is? 

And did Nelson playing midfield instead of wide hurt his standing? Well that doesn't make sense either, because Herdman likes versitile players and the midfield is thin as it is.

I wonder if Toronto missing the playoffs made the difference here? Brym will be playing right up until World Cup, so that is something in his favour that Nelson doesn't have.

If that's not it, I will have to make time to actually watch Brym, just to see if maybe I am wrong about him. Maybe he really is better than Nelson right now.

I don't think you can compare Brym to either of the other two because they play different positions.  When Herdman puts a roster together, he seems to be very rigid in terms of his depth chart.  Nelson is behind Davies and Millar on the left side.  Both are known quantities and reliable.  While on the right side, you have Corbeanu, Brym and maybe Koleosho (if Hoilett is moved to the middle).  Much less reliable and unproven at this level so you need extra coverage.

I'm pretty sure that if Buchanan were 100%, Brym would not be there.  Or instead you would be debating whether Brym was better than Corbeanu and/or Koleosho.

I am fairly confident that Herdman sees both Nelson and Mitrovic as strictly left-sided players.  If Nelson gets another season as a central player and shows the skillset that Herdman wants from that position, then he might fall into the depth chart there.

21 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I don't think you can compare Brym to either of the other two because they play different positions.  When Herdman puts a roster together, he seems to be very rigid in terms of his depth chart.  Nelson is behind Davies and Millar on the left side.  Both are known quantities and reliable.  While on the right side, you have Corbeanu, Brym and maybe Koleosho (if Hoilett is moved to the middle).  Much less reliable and unproven at this level so you need extra coverage.

I'm pretty sure that if Buchanan were 100%, Brym would not be there.  Or instead you would be debating whether Brym was better than Corbeanu and/or Koleosho.

I am fairly confident that Herdman sees both Nelson and Mitrovic as strictly left-sided players.  If Nelson gets another season as a central player and shows the skillset that Herdman wants from that position, then he might fall into the depth chart there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Herdman is waiting to see what position Nelson ends up playing in going forward. Seems like Bob has decided Nelson is better as a midfielder than a winger.

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm a little surprised too given how much Nelson has improved and shown he can play centrally in the midfield (where we appear to be thin right now).

Again, I think it has more to do with Brym being in Europe and players like Nelson, ZBG & Edwards being NA based.  If this camp was in NA, you may have seen one of those included instead.  We have a solid 25 players or so and then a close 10 others.  Given our 3 key injured players, I think that would put Brym in around 30th on the depth chart.  Which is also why I do not understand the hate Brym is getting.  I think in comparison to those that were not left off, there isn't much different and Brym actually has some attended many recent camps so there is also familiarity.  You may have a preference with some of the players left off (like me with Nelson) but I don't think the gap is huge between those players ranked 25 through 35 on our player pool.  Now if Brym makes the final 26 man Qatar squad, then I'll ask some questions.

I also believe Nelson transitioning to the midfield may be a better position for him with Canada.  Our attacking winger depth is very deep whereas our central midfield is thin and will likely continue to get thinner.  To me, this makes Nelson already close to making our squad.  Add in that he has the skillset to be a dangerous attacking midfielder that we lack currently in our system.