Jayden Nelson

KW519

He is longer that young as an attacking prospect, especially by European terms. Really important that he jumps somewhere he will play often. Im sure he will require a 7 figure transfer fee as his value is much higher to TFC than a mid table euro side. 

The only thing I’ll say is Osorio was basically the same age as Nelson when he was given minutes to play with TFC. Osorio took the chance and performed to the point where it was hard for Vanney to keep him off the field . The same can’t be said of Nelson , he was given probably the same amount of minutes to stake his claim as a starter or at least a guy that deserves major minutes . Osorio took his chance and made the most of it , however , watching Nelson this year he just didn’t perform to the same level that Osorio did in his first season . It’s easy to just keep saying that TFC is a bad place for young players to go , it hasn’t been bad for Laryea and Osorio . Again I’ll state if you are good enough and perform well you will play and become a starter like Osorio and Laryea it’s simple as that . Nelson in my opinion did not perform to a level where he deserves more minutes up to now . Maybe a change of scenery is best for him let’s see and hope . Moreover, if he stays he needs to do much better than he has and improve on his deficiencies and do like Osorio and Laryea where the coach could not keep them off the field .

15 hours ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

What position  do you guys see him playing in Europe ? CM or winger ?

I think he is a central player, absolutely. He slows plays down too much on the wing. His best attribute is receiving the ball with back to goal and turning through pressure. It's actually a bit of a unique skill. He needs to work on the nuances of the position and keeping his intensity throughout the match. He actually goes in really hard on challenges, but doesn't do it often enough. Sometimes when the ball is lost he floats around, he needs to remain engaged. But his dribbling is 1000x more effective as a CM than winger. I honestly think the switch of positions basically saved his career trajectory.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

The only thing I’ll say is Osorio was basically the same age as Nelson when he was given minutes to play with TFC. Osorio took the chance and performed to the point where it was hard for Vanney to keep him off the field . The same can’t be said of Nelson , he was given probably the same amount of minutes to stake his claim as a starter or at least a guy that deserves major minutes . Osorio took his chance and made the most of it , however , watching Nelson this year he just didn’t perform to the same level that Osorio did in his first season . It’s easy to just keep saying that TFC is a bad place for young players to go , it hasn’t been bad for Laryea and Osorio . Again I’ll state if you are good enough and perform well you will play and become a starter like Osorio and Laryea it’s simple as that . Nelson in my opinion did not perform to a level where he deserves more minutes up to now . Maybe a change of scenery is best for him let’s see and hope . Moreover, if he stays he needs to do much better than he has and improve on his deficiencies and do like Osorio and Laryea where the coach could not keep them off the field .

When Osorio made his TFC debut (2013?) things were very different. True Osorio made his breakthrough immediately, whereas Nelson arguably hasn't even made a real breakthrough in the way Osorio has, but there's so much difference between the two eras that I am not sure it's worth making the comparison, honestly. 

I think Nelson's trajectory has been very positive, despite the impression we are getting that he could have done more/better. For me Nelson has a very high ceiling and going to Europe in the right environment will foster his talent. IF he stays in Toronto I expect he'll continue his progression. Either way he's on the right path and should feature at least semi-regularly for Canada next cycle. 

Osorio was not well liked by many TFC fans for several years.  He was absolutely one of the regular scapegoats for several seasons.  Nelson has sort of become that similar scapegoat this season and last with a portion of TFC fans.  I still come across a fair amount of TFC/MLS fans that claim to be big supporters and then after about 30 seconds of listening to them, you realize they know very little about soccer altogether.

I will add that like @Obinnastated, a lot has changed in a decade.  The quality of the MLS has significantly improved in the last decade which does make a bit of a difference.  During Osorio's first couple of season's with Toronto FC, they were quite poor just like the team this season.  The main difference is that Osorio was fighting for playing time with fellow midfielders Kyle Bekker, Reggie Lambe & Bobby Convey in his breakout season.

Edited by Corazon

In addition to what @Corazon states above, despite not "staking his claim" as another poster says, Nelson played more matches and minutes this year as 19 year old (turned 20 in September) than Osorio did in 2013 as a 20-21 year old (turned 21 in June of that season). 

I don't really see the point in comparing him to Osorio or any other player, but if that's the comparison I'm not sure it's an unfavorable one.

Edited by jonovision

On 11/16/2022 at 12:48 AM, Cblake said:

I am not looking at thing at all in a negative light

He wasn't saying you were looking at things negatively. He was talking about this sentence...

On 11/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, Cblake said:

I could really care about age; I do get why people put so much importance into it.

It reads very strange. He and I are assuming you meant "I CAN'T really care about age; I DON'T get why people put so much importance into it." Those are the negatives he thought you were intending.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:31 AM, SoccMan said:

Not at all a commentary on Nelson's performances since TFC have been hard to watch for quite a while but it might also be worth mentioning the fact that a change of scenery is added pressure that hopefully wakes people up with enough potential to prove it. Might have been true of Laryea in Orlando. Might be true of Shaff in Nashville. Maybe they both needed to moved along to dig deep and find that next level. Guys like Nelson and JMR have been told for years how they're the next big thing (that 15-20M valuation TFC somehow put out there for JMR was insane) and have been comfortable in a TFC environment. 

Get them out of the nest in a competitive environment where they need to prove their worth against people who don't give a damn who they are and see what they're actually made of.

• 2 weeks later...

Came in here looking for a status update on the Anderlecht rumours. Would be a great destination for him.

Agree he should play inside and only outside on occasion. He is quick, but he hasn't shown the break out speed required to play out wide at a high level. Laryea, Buchanan, Millar and Davies have this kind of pace. Even Corbeanu has just enough of it to continue developing out wide. Nelson? Not so much. He does however have great technique and great feet, which is why he did well for Toronto as a CM. Again, I think he's quick enough to play out wide in fits and spurts, but I don't want it to be his primary position. I think his ceiling is higher as a CM. 

• 1 month later...
Just now, Dominic94 said:

No move for him today, looks like he will be coming off the bench at best, it’s upsetting but hopefully he only has a few years of bench warming left on his contract. 

It's not a deep midfield and there's a lot of games with the Voyageurs Cup and Leagues Cup.

Mark Anthony Kaye hasn't exactly been durable either and with the way Nelson ended the season, it wouldn't surprise me to see Nelson start games if Kaye's form dips. I don't think he's very far away from starting in the middle and I don't think he is very far away from the National Team either, to be honest. He was brought into the Pre-WC camp and got minutes, something Choniere didn't get. He's knocking on the door at club and country.

A move would have been nice, but I am not upset because I think he'll challenge Kaye for minutes in the Toronto midfield. Don't get me wrong, I expect Kaye to be a starter, but I think his spot is far more tentative than Osorio's (or Bradley's). I see Nelson getting solid minutes again in 2023.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's not a deep midfield and there's a lot of games with the Voyageurs Cup and Leagues Cup.

Mark Anthony Kaye hasn't exactly been durable either and with the way Nelson ended the season, it wouldn't surprise me to see Nelson start games if Kaye's form dips. I don't think he's very far away from starting in the middle and I don't think he is very far away from the National Team either, to be honest. He was brought into the Pre-WC camp and got minutes, something Choniere didn't get. He's knocking on the door at club and country.

A move would have been nice, but I am not upset because I think he'll challenge Kaye for minutes in the Toronto midfield. Don't get me wrong, I expect Kaye to be a starter, but I think his spot is far more tentative than Osorio's (or Bradley's). I see Nelson getting solid minutes again in 2023.

MLS is also not breaking for the March window or the Gold Cup

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Neither is Bradley but he can’t be moved from the lineup.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Neither is Bradley but he can’t be moved from the lineup.

True, although being an offensive player he's really only a like-for-like replacement Osorio and Kaye.

I think it will be Kaye he will be replacing most of the time, or Insigne/Bernadeschi if either of them needs a break on the wing, which I doubt happens much. The Italians will be 90-minute players, but Kaye not so much. He can also replace Osorio if needed, but again I see Oso as a 90-minute guy for Toronto. I definitely don't see him starting over Osorio, Insigne or Bernadeschi because they are superior players, unless there is intentional rotation to manage minutes, nor do I see it over Bradley, as it's not the position Nelson can play.

However, with Kaye there's a real opportunity for him to win a midfield spot. Doesn't mean he will, but I can easily see it with the way he replaced MAK when he went down injured. I don't think there's a big drop-off, it's more that Kaye has more experience and is a different profile (can break up play defensively, can play make from deep with his left foot, etc.). Nelson gives Toronto some dribble in the midfield, which can be useful. He also has quicker feet than Kaye, which may prove useful in the final 3rd when space is hard to come by.

I see Kaye as 1A and Nelson as 1B for the same midfield spot. In all the other midfield spots (including out wide) there is a clear 1, then a clear 2. 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think it will be Kaye he will be replacing most of the time, or Insigne/Bernadeschi if either of them needs a break on the wing, which I doubt happens much. The Italians will be 90-minute players...

Considering the semi-tantrum Insigne threw when he got pulled late last season, I agree with your assessment that they will be 90 minute players unless they are injured.

Nelson could theoretically be the team's 4th midfielder and rotate in and out. Say BB decides to give the trio of Bradley/Kaye/Osorio one game off each say every 5 games, Nelson could enter in for each of them. That'd given him 3 90s every five games, plus maybe 20-30 minute sub appearances the other two games. Could be one way to give all four decent playing time in the three spots.

(Or those guys will just play 90 every game until one of them collapses and is injured for multi-week spells.)

Edited by rydermike

11 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Nelson could theoretically be the team's 4th midfielder and rotate in and out. Say BB decides to give the trio of Bradley/Kaye/Osorio one game off each say every 5 games, Nelson could enter in for each of them. That'd given him 3 90s every five games, plus maybe 20-30 minute sub appearances the other two games. Could be one way to give all four decent playing time in the three spots.

(Or those guys will just play 90 every game until one of them collapses and is injured for multi-week spells.)

This is basically how I see it as well. Kaye in particular seems prone to muscle injuries, so Kaye-out, Nelson-in will be the most common substitute we'll see, I think.