Jayden Nelson

KW519

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

i would not be surprised if Herdman put him to play friendlies with the MNT very soon as he did with  the girls before ! Maybe in a Pregame before Gold Cup 

Maybe in the 40 man roster for some training with the squad but the pre-Gold Cup friendlies should be played by those going to the cup for cohesion and for those actually battling to make the squad.  Especially considering I think at this point we will only get 1 pre-tournament friendly instead of 2 or 3.

I would be okay with it in a normal non-warm up friendly though.

46 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Maybe in the 40 man roster for some training with the squad but the pre-Gold Cup friendlies should be played by those going to the cup for cohesion and for those actually battling to make the squad.  Especially considering I think at this point we will only get 1 pre-tournament friendly instead of 2 or 3.

I would be okay with it in a normal non-warm up friendly though.

Let's see him get some run out with TFC before that's considered. He looks great in the highlight packs but fear he might be physically overmatched at the full international level.

Petrasso was the last to score for Canada a hat trick at the youth level.

Jayden also had an impact in the US match when he came in late. Hit the crossbar and delivered a cross into the box that was just headed over or wide.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now would be a good time to up the minimum on Canadian players to start matches. I believe it is still at 3, right?

That's a cakewalk for the CPL teams. Montreal and Vancouver have a ton of Canadians by historic standards and TFC are now up to 8 or 9 I think.

Should be increased from 3 to 4. I want to say 5, but y'know...slow and steady.

3 CDN is a joke...Obinna is 100% correct.  Up it one a year until its 6.  The MLS clubs all could hit 4 this year without dropping their quality too much.  (TFC-Lareya, Osorio, Fraser, SHaff, Montreal-Piette, SHome, Tabla, AJH etc) And if the CDN clubs cant field 4 decent CDN players and win...well then they dont deserve to be the CDN champ. 

And it would increase the chances of guys like Nelsen getting 2-3 games to prove themselves.   

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Is there a rule for the US Open in terms of any minimum Americans per team? Couldn't see any. Also could care less about how that relates to ours, just interested. 

I fully support the V-Cup rules and the above two suggestions to up the number. 

Perfect. 

Was wondering the same, but far too lazy to look that up!

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Now would be a good time to up the minimum on Canadian players to start matches. I believe it is still at 3, right?

That's a cakewalk for the CPL teams. Montreal and Vancouver have a ton of Canadians by historic standards and TFC are now up to 8 or 9 I think.

Should be increased from 3 to 4. I want to say 5, but y'know...slow and steady.

Couldn't agree more and I've always advocated for this!  If we up the amount of Canadians in the Voyageurs Cup we will up the amount of minutes Canadians get at the Canadian MLS clubs in their league.  You will not be able to advance far in this competition if you give 3-4 guys their season debuts over two legs.  These players need to actually be a part of your squad.  

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I scanned US Opens wiki (felt oddly dirty doing so) and googled minimum American players US open soccer. Nothing showed. That's my limit. It is a tough life lesson but i have learned sometimes you just have to let it go.....

I only remember this because Kaye was involved: https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-lafc-forfeit-20180719-story.html 

"The tournament rules state a professional team “may have no more than 5 foreign players listed,” similar to Major League Soccer’s rules requiring a team may have a maximum of eight international players on its roster. However, while MLS, which contains Canadian teams, has been clear that Canadian players count as domestic, their status in the U.S. Open Cup is less certain. LAFC fielded five players who are listed as MLS internationals — Laurent Ciman, Adama Diomande, Carlos Vela, Diego Rossi and Marco Urena — alongside the Canadian Kaye. Dejan Jakovic, also of Canada, played in the game but holds a U.S. Green Card."

So clearly the writer can't be relied upon too much as he says Canadians are domestic in MLS.  What I think he actually means is that players with green cards in the USOC are still considered foreign if they're not American.

Edited by CanadaFan123

Section 203. Player eligibility (a) Teams entering the Open Cup shall use their official league roster as their Open Cup roster. Except as specified in this Policy or except as the result of discipline matters imposed by U.S. Soccer, all players on an official league roster will be eligible for Open Cup competition, regardless of any status (e.g. injured reserve) each player may have with regard to league competition. Players on loan from another team or league may not be included on an Open Cup roster, with the exception of the following: 1) Loaned players originating from teams competing in leagues that are not active participants in the Open Cup Tournament or qualifying process (professional indoor leagues, foreign clubs, etc.); 2) players on loan from other US clubs for a period of greater than 90 days; or 3) players from teams who have been deemed ineligible for the current Open Cup competition due to the provisions of Section 202(d) and are loaned to the team exercising roster control pursuant to Section 202(d). A team may list up to 18 players on its game day roster. Professional teams may have no more than 5 foreign players listed . Amateur teams are not restricted as to the number of foreign players they may list. Foreign players shall be those players who are not protected individuals as defined in 8 U.S.C. § 1324b (e.g. U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents, asylees and refugees). Any conflicting Outdoor Professional League roster rules shall not apply to the number of foreign players allowed to compete in the Open Cup.

This is what I found in the US open Cup handbook from 2019.

3 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Good to see. Really excited for both Nelson and Rutty. Let's all hope they hit their potential.

Personally, I hope Nelson is loaned out to a CPL side to get consistent playing time.  That is what he needs: consistent playing time in a professional environment where if he performs well for half a season, he can be recalled if minutes are available to him with TFC.  Rutty is probably fine with playing consistently at League One with TFCII.