Jayden Nelson

KW519

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Isnt he 28-29. We have 3-4 years with him. Brym, Bair, Ugbo, Jebbison, JRR, Vilsaint, Kerr, Lopez, KSB, Michel, Diallo, Afrifra, Cambridge, millar, corbeanu? all in contention to cover David. If theres one person I am not worried about replacing, its larin. Especially considering by that time we will likely only play with 1 striker. 

It wasn't really his age I'm worried about it's that he misses TOO many sitters. I know he's our leading scorer but he could easily have double his total. Just my humble opinion.

6 hours ago, MtlMario said:

It wasn't really his age I'm worried about it's that he misses TOO many sitters. I know he's our leading scorer but he could easily have double his total. Just my humble opinion.

Larin proved me wrong. I was never really a fan, but he has contributed a lot. This season has been poor. No question. And he is getting older. I hope he can turn it around, but as others have said, we have options. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I suspect things are still pretty damp in Norway this time of year.  

I always root for Jayden but he looks pretty rusty so far.  

which is strange because it seemed like he had a good pre-season

On 3/3/2024 at 1:22 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Unfortunately he does play wide left for club, where we are already spoiled with riches.  I always felt (and have said probably multiple times upthread) that his skills are suited to a central attacking mid.  Good passing, quick burst of acceleration, ball control in tight spaces, etc.   It works on the wing as well but I hoped he would find his way to a more central position.  But so far it hasn’t happened and that highlight shows him once again coming in from the left.   

I agree with your assessment. Although, I dont think it should matter where Nelson, like really any other player, plays at club position. Position at club level should not dictate where we deploy them with the national team. Many of our players play at different positions for club and country or at club level alone. 

I would love to see Jayden deployed in a number of positions in midfield for the national team. We already saw this at the Gold Cup. I think we should be calling and using Nelson well ahead of many of the MLS guys. We are lacking creativity in midfield right now.  Technically, he is well ahead of a lot of our players, plus his energy can turn games. 

14 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

I agree with your assessment. Although, I dont think it should matter where Nelson, like really any other player, plays at club position. Position at club level should not dictate where we deploy them with the national team. Many of our players play at different positions for club and country or at club level alone. 

I would love to see Jayden deployed in a number of positions in midfield for the national team. We already saw this at the Gold Cup. I think we should be calling and using Nelson well ahead of many of the MLS guys. We are lacking creativity in midfield right now.  Technically, he is well ahead of a lot of our players, plus his energy can turn games. 

This is such an interesting thought. 

When selecting an international team, you define the system and tactics that will get the best out of the team (obviously incorporating your player options in the decision making). 

You then fill out the 11 for the game. Sometimes the best option for a position is someone out of position. 

Look at cornelius at RCB. At one point, cornelius was our best RCB, even though he was out of position. Johnston was our best RCB out of position. David was our best CAM last game out of position. 

So many people focus on the negative of playing a player out of position but forget to talk about the lack of alternative.

27 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

This is such an interesting thought. 

When selecting an international team, you define the system and tactics that will get the best out of the team (obviously incorporating your player options in the decision making). 

You then fill out the 11 for the game. Sometimes the best option for a position is someone out of position. 

Look at cornelius at RCB. At one point, cornelius was our best RCB, even though he was out of position. Johnston was our best RCB out of position. David was our best CAM last game out of position. 

So many people focus on the negative of playing a player out of position but forget to talk about the lack of alternative.

Cornelius was our best RCB? Did you mean LCB? Derek for me has not looked good at all the few times he's played RCB for us. 

Agree that players can play out of position for the national team, it's fine. Timothy Weah plays as a wide forward for the USA and plays wingback for Juventus. I guess you can argue it's at club he's being played out of position, but regardless he plays two different roles for club and country. 

With that said, I think there's value in guys playing in similar roles for club and country. I don't think I need to speak about why, it's pretty obvious. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Cornelius was our best RCB? Did you mean LCB? Derek for me has not looked good at all the few times he's played RCB for us. 

Agree that players can play out of position for the national team, it's fine. Timothy Weah plays as a wide forward for the USA and plays wingback for Juventus. I guess you can argue it's at club he's being played out of position, but regardless he plays two different roles for club and country. 

With that said, I think there's value in guys playing in similar roles for club and country. I don't think I need to speak about why, it's pretty obvious. 

No, I meant best RCB. (I'm with you on your assesment of cornelius at RCB) 

I totally agree he didnt look good there. But on paper and in biellos mind for the 2nd leg of the jamaica game, he was our best RCB. I've argued in hindsight that maybe vitoria couldve played that game. 

Maybe a weak example but the point was we played a player out of position because we thought it was a better decision than to play a natural RCB. 

Bombito at CDM for the gold cup, Laryea at RM in a 4-4-2, Laryea at LB, Davies at LW, David at CAM, Shaf at LWB, Johnston and cornelius are just some other examples. I dont get why the main issue always seems to be johnston when we never had a decent alternative until recently. 

• 2 weeks later...

He didn’t get into the game today and stayed on the bench.  They won but he needs to figure out how to reclaim a starting spot and then be undroppable.  There is no doubt that he is really talented but he needs to sort some stuff out - whether it be defensive awareness, level of effort, etc.  Riding the pine is not where he needs to be right now.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Another gameday and another unused sub role - in a game where they needed goals.  Things have either gone completely off the rails or the coach is trying to send him a pretty serious message (or both).   Really hoping this is just a temporary blip and he can turn things around.   

Something had to have happened.  He really seemed like he was one of their best players in preseason.