Tajon Buchanan

nolando

its a very stupid niave shift in world football at the moment.. the loss of winger turning them into wing backs... far to many teams without the players to play a back 3 decide that becuase pep or real play a back three we have to.. I have said this before some of the best players in the world are wingers and the role is being phased out...this is a trend that I really hope changes soon because back three football with wing backs without the ball is boring as f%^* and I dont want Liam or Tajon or Theo or Davies playing wingback because the system does fit them...

34 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Stalteri, Brennan and Jazic come to mind.

Would they have had higher level pro careers in Europe if they didn't change positions?  I wonder how Stalteri's career would have played out if he insisted on going somewhere that would let him play his preferred position?

16 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Would they have had higher level pro careers in Europe if they didn't change positions?  I wonder how Stalteri's career would have played out if he insisted on going somewhere that would let him play his preferred position?

I don't think Stalteri could have played as a striker at the top level, but he might have been very effective as a central midfielder, where his lack of pace would have been less of an issue later in his career. His best period for the CMNT was perhaps when he was used as an attacking midfielder.

47 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I don't think Stalteri could have played as a striker at the top level, but he might have been very effective as a central midfielder, where his lack of pace would have been less of an issue later in his career. His best period for the CMNT was perhaps when he was used as an attacking midfielder.

And I thought he was an outstanding RB for us, particularly with the nuances of defending in a back line, but the Diesel's two way work was perfectly suited for that role. 

I don't know if he had opportunities to play for other clubs in a midfield role.  Maybe he had several, maybe he had one, or maybe he had none.  You can't always get what you want but sometimes you just might find, you get what you need.  In the end, he had a very good and relatively lengthy pro career in the top flight of Germany and England.  

15 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Stalteri, Brennan and Jazic come to mind.

That was exactly who I had in mind.  I didnt mention names because in the case of Brennan, I was not 100% sure what role he specialized in before going overseas.   But while we are on the subject,  even JDG was converted to role that was less suited to the skills he showed as a U20 player playing for Canada.

Edited by Free kick

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

And I thought he was an outstanding RB for us, particularly with the nuances of defending in a back line, but the Diesel's two way work was perfectly suited for that role. 

For that reason,  I thought that he would have been more suited as an 8.  Precisely because he could cover more space and be more involved in more plays.  Whereas at RB, you are only involved when balls are played to the right side of the pitch

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

For that reason,  I thought that he would have been more suited as an 8.  Precisely because he could cover more space and be more involved in more plays.  Whereas at RB, you are only involved when balls are played to the right side of the pitch

Well, Werder Bremen (and likely no other higher level sides in the German league) saw him as such.  So what's the trade off?  Playing at the highest levels as a quality right back for a long career and Bundesliga champion, while getting well paid in the process, or going from club to club in lower levels insisting on trying to make it as an 8, and also possibly having a shorter European experience, let alone definitely less rewardling financially as well as real titles-wise?

Werder Bremen didn't see him as a forward or an 8 and (very successfully) turned him into something else).  I don't see the lament here.

Here is a another bit of news to suggest that a move in this window is highly improbable for TB.   First (as mentioned in earlier pages) the move to Inter fell through because Inter opted for a cheaper Cuadrado who was out of contract with Juventus. 

Now this:

La catastrophe pour Thomas Meunier ! | OneFootball

Brugge want Thomas Meunier (RB) from Dortmund.  But to afford him,  Buchanan needed to be sold.   Now Meunier has suffered an injury and out for several weeks and  hence his move to Brugge suffers a setback

quote (Fr) .....Mais Bruges n'avait pas les moyens, sans vendre, de s'offrir les services d'un Meunier au salaire conséquent. Il avait donc fallu temporiser, et ce malgré la vente de Clinton Mata (dont le joueur du Borussia Dortmund serait le remplaçant). Une vente de Tajon Buchanan aurait été nécessaire pour finaliser le dossier, comme l'explique Sacha Tavolieri.

quote (En): ......But Bruges did not have the means, without selling, to afford the services of a Meunier with his current salary. It was therefore necessary to stall, despite the sale of Clinton Mata (whose Borussia Dortmund player would be the replacement). A sale of Tajon Buchanan would have been necessary to finalize the transaction, as explained by Sacha Tavolieri

Edited by Free kick